The Student Room Group

Is 3 exercises enough?

I’m quite new to the gym but I’ve been trying to figure out a lower body routine and I really struggle to do more than like 3 exercises if I’m lifting heavy. Today I did a quick 10 minute incline walk on the treadmill to warm up. Then I did 3 sets each of squats, hip thrusts and leg press. My legs were like jelly afterwards but I also feel like I should be doing more than 3 exercises? Will I see results from doing this or am I better off lowering the weight so I can do more exercises?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyfloss
I’m quite new to the gym but I’ve been trying to figure out a lower body routine and I really struggle to do more than like 3 exercises if I’m lifting heavy. Today I did a quick 10 minute incline walk on the treadmill to warm up. Then I did 3 sets each of squats, hip thrusts and leg press. My legs were like jelly afterwards but I also feel like I should be doing more than 3 exercises? Will I see results from doing this or am I better off lowering the weight so I can do more exercises?

If your legs were struggling a bit after those 3 exercises, then don't increase it. You said you're new to the gym, so am I right in thinking that you aren't used to a regular exercise routine like this? If so, then start slowly and build yourself up. You can't just throw your body into intense exercises without any build up or prep as you'll injure yourself, potentially quite badly.

Keep going with these 3 exercises with rest days in between. Gradually your legs will stop feeling like jelly. When that happens, then you know that you can start adding more to your routine. Don't run before you can walk, basically.
9 sets of leg exercises is good for a day.
Original post by lucyfloss

From my experience, 3 exercises could be enough but it depends on how long you do it, most workouts should be at least 2 to 4 minutes together with a small break, and for sure weight lifting is good but to heavy could cause a lot of pain and make workouts harder and you will eventually notice you might gain a little weight and thats completely normal you gain before you lose. In weeks or months it will get easier and you will notice a difference. Start of with short exercises and work up to longer ones.
The gym is selling people a false narrative, exercise makes you lose some weight but it does not give you curves or a super flat stomach. That is achieved via plastic surgery, all the women I know who go the gym are either naturally slim size 8 or a size 12 and that is with a diet and exercise and limiting alcohol. Don't let these women fool you!
Original post by JustAaron10
The gym is selling people a false narrative, exercise makes you lose some weight but it does not give you curves or a super flat stomach. That is achieved via plastic surgery, all the women I know who go the gym are either naturally slim size 8 or a size 12 and that is with a diet and exercise and limiting alcohol. Don't let these women fool you!

Don't be stupid.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Don't be stupid.

The gym does not transform you, it helps you lose weight. All the women you lust after have had plastic surgery!
The gym does not transform you, it helps you lose weight. All the women you lust after have had plastic surgery!

Absolutely incorrect.

I used to be size 16 with a disproportionately large stomach. After a year of going to the gym I dropt to a size 8 with a proportionally small waste.

It's all about choosing the right exercises for the body you want/ have.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Wotdafuq
Absolutely incorrect.

I used to be size 16 with a disproportionately large stomach. After a year of going to the gym I dropt to a size 8 with a proportionally small waste.

It's all about choosing the right exercises for the body you want/ have.

Is your stomach completely flat without any sagging skin though?

You can most certainly have a flat stomach without surgery. You think anorexic people have saggy stomachs?
Is your stomach completely flat without any sagging skin though?

It's not completely flat, but I have no excess sagging skin.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes, 3 exercises are enough - a simple lower body routine for 3x5 squats 1x5 deadlifts heavy on an SS or SL model will get you strong fast. In fact, simplicity for a novice is key. Start adding in accessories and other variants as you progress onto more intermediate programming.
Original post by Wotdafuq
It's not completely flat, but I have no excess sagging skin.

Well bingo, it is not completely flat!

If I lost another half stone it would be

You idiot 😂😂
Depends on what your goal is. If you do more exercise, but with less weight, it will be more for weight loss. If you do less exercise, but with more weight, it will strengthen the muscles.
In any case, do not overwork yourself, do as much as you can.
Exercises need to be changed over time as the body gets used to them and they become less effective
Original post by Margo.22
Depends on what your goal is. If you do more exercise, but with less weight, it will be more for weight loss. If you do less exercise, but with more weight, it will strengthen the muscles.
In any case, do not overwork yourself, do as much as you can.
Exercises need to be changed over time as the body gets used to them and they become less effective

You are not gonna burn a significant amount of kcalories from a lifting weights session compared to a cardio session. The difference between doing high reps Vs low reps is also very very small.
Yes, that is a terrific workout for a female if you’re trying to build muscle/get bigger glutes. That is definitely adequate for one workout. Progressively overload those movements, training close to failure, and in a few months you will definitely see results. You could add a few sets here and there if you’re recovering well. You do not need to loads fancy high rep exercise like Instagram influencers. Add a decent amount of weigh to all those in an adequate rep range (6-15 I’d say) and eat enough calories and protein, you will gain muscle.

It would be good to hit a leg workout 2x week, so you’d do some different exercises for that rotation. E.G.

Deadlift - 3x6-8
Hack squat - 3x10-12 (any squat machine is fine)
Hip thrust - 3 x10-12
Leg curl - 3x12-14
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
You are not gonna burn a significant amount of kcalories from a lifting weights session compared to a cardio session. The difference between doing high reps Vs low reps is also very very small.

Yes this is facts. Sorry but most females are clueless when it comes to the gym. If you want to loose fat, eat in a calorie deficit. You’re not going to loose fat and get ‘toned’ lifting 2kg dumbbells and doing dumb circuit workouts. You’ll burn way more calories going on a 30 min run than a 1 hour ab workout.

If you want to get ‘toned’ (build muscle) lift in a 6-15 rep range and progressively overload compound movements (squat, deadlift, leg press etc). Add 40kg to these over a year and you will see a massive difference.

Quick Reply

Latest