The Student Room Group

Does anyone else think grade boundaries for resits will be really low?

Is it just me or

Scroll to see replies

No becuase people had more time to revise.
What about for subjects that a lot of people don’t take
Original post by gcse20212004

Naaah people still had quite a lot of time to revise so i think exam boards would be nice by not increasing them.
Wait i thought they would lower the grade boundaries becuase people doing resits are the people who didnt get the grade they deserved or something in the predicted grades for 2020 gcses. I am not saying for certain but im just putting it out there.

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/gcses-a-levels-grade-boundaries-2020-autumn-exams-lowered-727954

How many people do a subject doesn't really matter
Depends how people performed. I would imagine since people aren't as well prepared as they would have been for the summer, it might be slightly lower than it would have been. But then there are other factors, (difficulty of paper etc.) so it would be hard to isolate that if ygm

Yeah that's the thing really because there are definitely fewer people doing it so if they try to calculate the grade boundaries with the scores I think it might be more inaccurate.
Original post by _gcx
Depends how people performed. I would imagine since people aren't as well prepared as they would have been for the summer, it might be slightly lower than it would have been. But then there are other factors, (difficulty of paper etc.) so it would be hard to isolate that if ygm

I thought that the grade boundaries may be premade or lower than the 2019 grade boundaries because of this:

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/gcses-a-levels-grade-boundaries-2020-autumn-exams-lowered-727954

however I'm not entirely sure
Original post by pratikstalin
I thought that the grade boundaries may be premade or lower than the 2019 grade boundaries because of this:

however I'm not entirely sure

Premade?

They won't necessarily be lower than the 2019 boundaries (if the 2020 paper was much easier than the 2019 paper, the boundaries won't be lower) but could well be for a lot of subjects.
Original post by _gcx

Yes this is what I meant, most people in my school resitting their subjects are really unprepared and we are all relating on how we are gonna fail or whatever. Also grade 2019 grade boundaries for the subject I’m resitting was 67% to get a 9 so I’m gonna assume grade boundaries will be wayyyy lower since the exam was so difficult and I revised a lot for that. I just wish I revised during the summer or lockdown bc I didn’t really know I would have resit tbh.
Original post by SelKel
Naaah people still had quite a lot of time to revise so i think exam boards would be nice by not increasing them.

Wdym a lot of time do u mean like lockdown becauz we only knew our CAG like 3 months ago in august? Unless you were certain u we’re gonna fail
Original post by _gcx
Premade?

They won't necessarily be lower than the 2019 boundaries (if the 2020 paper was much easier than the 2019 paper, the boundaries won't be lower) but could well be for a lot of subjects.

I think the article probably implies they will be significantly lower but obvs not premade as they need to see how everyone performed to determine grade boundaries. Also is it possible for grade boundaries to be like SO LOW like say 47 percent for a 9?
Yes this is what I meant, most people in my school resitting their subjects are really unprepared and we are all relating on how we are gonna fail or whatever. Also grade 2019 grade boundaries for the subject I’m resitting was 67% to get a 9 so I’m gonna assume grade boundaries will be wayyyy lower since the exam was so difficult and I revised a lot for that. I just wish I revised during the summer or lockdown bc I didn’t really know I would have resit tbh.

yeah if people perform far worse they will be lower.

just remember that the ppl who you speak to are not necessarily representative, that people often underestimate their performance, etc etc. basically just take stuff with a grain of salt.
Original post by _gcx
yeah if people perform far worse they will be lower.

just remember that the ppl who you speak to are not necessarily representative, that people often underestimate their performance, etc etc. basically just take stuff with a grain of salt.

Yeah I totally understand that they are not representative but from even people from other schools and online it doesn’t seem anyone is feeling incredibly ambitious about these resits so I kinda thought to not revise if grade boundaries are lower bc I’m really tired but
I think the article probably implies they will be significantly lower but obvs not premade as they need to see how everyone performed to determine grade boundaries. Also is it possible for grade boundaries to be like SO LOW like say 47 percent for a 9?

in theory yes if they feel like 47% represents grade 9 quality work for that paper. Don't count on it free-falling though. Does happen but impossible to predict because there's so many factors.

there are no arbitrary caps on what is too high and too low for boundaries. Boundaries of 97% for an A* have been seen for a-level fm and you see down in the 60s for a top grade in some gcse/a-level subjects, and so on. Might prompt investigation into whether the paper was too hard or too easy though. (has happened before)
Yeah I totally understand that they are not representative but from even people from other schools and online it doesn’t seem anyone is feeling incredibly ambitious about these resits so I kinda thought to not revise if grade boundaries are lower bc I’m really tired but

I mean - why would you take the risk of impacting your performance? Say you do, and you miss the grade you want by a few marks, what would that mean for you?
Original post by _gcx
in theory yes if they feel like 47% represents grade 9 quality work for that paper. Don't count on it free-falling though. Does happen but impossible to predict because there's so many factors.

there are no arbitrary caps on what is too high and too low for boundaries. Boundaries of 97% for an A* have been seen for a-level fm and you see down in the 60s for a top grade in some gcse/a-level subjects, and so on. Might prompt investigation into whether the paper was too hard or too easy though. (has happened before)

Thanks for clarifying
Original post by _gcx
I mean - why would you take the risk of impacting your performance? Say you do, and you miss the grade you want by a few marks, what would that mean for you?

I wasn’t going to actually to I was thinking of but I’m revising rn
Good luck for your resit. You got this! @gcse20212004

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending