The Student Room Group

Alevel Biology

Hey I wanted to start a thread for people like me studying biology. I want this to become a thread for motivation and also to ask other people for help!
Can everyone say what year they’re in and the Alevel they’re taking. And they’re biology GCSE grades if you don’t mind😚 also what you want to study in the future
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes! This is such a good idea :smile:

I'm in year 12 and taking educas biology (alongside chemistry and history). I got a 9 at GCSE and am hoping to study either medicine or biology in the future.
Original post by alice17bex
Yes! This is such a good idea :smile:

I'm in year 12 and taking educas biology (alongside chemistry and history). I got a 9 at GCSE and am hoping to study either medicine or biology in the future.

What a coincidence I want to study medicine aswell. How are you finding biology so far and what exam board are you doing?
Original post by bubblywubbly
What a coincidence I want to study medicine aswell. How are you finding biology so far and what exam board are you doing?

I'm doing Eduqas- And I'm really enjoying it so far! I love the amount of depth we cover and I like learning the content more independently. How about you? and what exam board are you doing?
Original post by alice17bex
I'm doing Eduqas- And I'm really enjoying it so far! I love the amount of depth we cover and I like learning the content more independently. How about you? and what exam board are you doing?

My exam board is OCR A tbh we’ve done so much content in the last month it’s acc very interesting. Biological molecules has a lot of info😭 we’ve started to learn about nucliec acids and nucleotides now wbu
I'm in Y12, OCR A and got a 9 at GCSE. We've done cell structure and biological membranes and are just starting Bio molecules with one of our teachers. I don't want to do med at all, maybe Biology at Uni. Already done the topic tests, think aced the one today!
Original post by linedpaper
I'm in Y12, OCR A and got a 9 at GCSE. We've done cell structure and biological membranes and are just starting Bio molecules with one of our teachers. I don't want to do med at all, maybe Biology at Uni. Already done the topic tests, think aced the one today!

My school makes us do tests every month in case of school closure and were unable to do our Aslevels. I’ve heard that other schools have multiple teachers for sciences, is that the case for you too?
Alright guys, im year 13 studying AQA biology (aqa chem, edexcel maths, edexcel further maths, EPQ) so if you wanna know anything about AS bio im all ears haha

I just applied for University with A*A*A*A*A predicted grades, so aha its going well
Original post by sprucicles10101
Alright guys, im year 13 studying AQA biology (aqa chem, edexcel maths, edexcel further maths, EPQ) so if you wanna know anything about AS bio im all ears haha

I just applied for University with A*A*A*A*A predicted grades, so aha its going well

That’s so impressive what’s your secret😭😭 but srlsly i want good grades but my exam technique is garbage. What do you want to study at uni?
Also is the EPQ the extended piece of writing I’m kinda confused on that
That’s so impressive what’s your secret😭😭 but srlsly i want good grades but my exam technique is garbage. What do you want to study at uni?

Aha thank you, basically just revise as you go along - make different kinds of notes until you find your preferred style so i make class notes from powerpoints add them to textbook notes, print them out and highlight and condense into flashcards
I use a revision guide to make a poster of the main ideas/topics and then use some websites for quick revision and questions (seneca/tailored tutors/mathsmadeeasy/physicsandmathstutor)

Exam technique will come with experience, If there is a question that i dont immediately know i will write anything i do know on the question and then come back to it later.

I have applied for biochemistry at Oxford, York (received an offer of ABB), Warwick, nottingham and UoB :smile:
Also is the EPQ the extended piece of writing I’m kinda confused on that

The EPQ is the 'Extended Project Qualification' essentially it is an AS qualification and is good to put on your personal statement because it shows youre passionate about either your subject or a hobby.

Essentially you get free reign to choose a question, research it and then plan a final product (essay/design/build something), but the planning and reflections are the most important part, as you have to explain your choices for researching your topic and any changes you made whilst researching and then reflect on the final product.

Teachers dont recommend it if you are struggling with your core A-levels, id say if your school offers it in year 12 go for it but do not sacrifice your time for you main alevels, and if they offer it in year 13 - make sure youre confident with the workload
My exam board is OCR A tbh we’ve done so much content in the last month it’s acc very interesting. Biological molecules has a lot of info😭 we’ve started to learn about nucliec acids and nucleotides now wbu

We've just started gas exchange in plants and animals. And yes I totally agree, there is so much content surrounding biological molecules.
My school makes us do tests every month in case of school closure and were unable to do our Aslevels. I’ve heard that other schools have multiple teachers for sciences, is that the case for you too?

Yeah I’ve got 2 teachers for every subject. And we do tests at the end of every topic, don’t sit AS but it’s good to do well in case something happens to our exams

Quick Reply

Latest