The Student Room Group

Do universities do credit checks for loans?

What if my credit score is too low because of blacklist

Scroll to see replies

There is no credit check for SFE loans
Original post by TheLostStudent06
What if my credit score is too low because of blacklist

Universities dont offer loans
Original post by niteninja1
Universities dont offer loans

Student loans? Tuition fee loans?
Student loans? Tuition fee loans?

they are offered by Student Finance England (SFE) if you are English - not by the universities. They are FOR university but not provided BY the university
you are good bro, they probably check but they dont care. ive been in poor situations but i still got my maintainence and tution loans
Original post by yolo10101010
you are good bro, they probably check but they dont care. ive been in poor situations but i still got my maintainence and tution loans

What was your situation?
Original post by ReadingMum
they are offered by Student Finance England (SFE) if you are English - not by the universities. They are FOR university but not provided BY the university

For student tuition loans, do u need a bank account of any sort? Or will a cifas marker prevent you from getting the tuition loans? If it does, when do u have to pay them off?
Reply 8
For student tuition loans, do u need a bank account of any sort? Or will a cifas marker prevent you from getting the tuition loans? If it does, when do u have to pay them off?

No you don't, only maintenance loan.
The tuition loan goes straight to the uni so you can manage without a bank account and the uni still get paid. As stated above it is the maintenance loan that has to be paid into an account in your name.
The tuition loan goes straight to the uni so you can manage without a bank account and the uni still get paid. As stated above it is the maintenance loan that has to be paid into an account in your name.

So even with a cifas marker i can get the tuition loans?
So even with a cifas marker i can get the tuition loans?

tuition loan is yes as it never comes to you - and SFE don't credit check people for either tuition or maintenance loans. Your only issue is with the maintenance loan having to be paid into an account in your name and having a CIFAS marker might prevent you opening such an account. If you can open an account somewhere, even a basic one or one designed for people with poor credit, then the maintenance loan can be paid into it. If you can't open an account anywhere then that would prevent you receiving the maintenance loan
tuition loan is yes as it never comes to you - and SFE don't credit check people for either tuition or maintenance loans. Your only issue is with the maintenance loan having to be paid into an account in your name and having a CIFAS marker might prevent you opening such an account. If you can open an account somewhere, even a basic one or one designed for people with poor credit, then the maintenance loan can be paid into it. If you can't open an account anywhere then that would prevent you receiving the maintenance loan

Tyvm for the clarification <3

Wait so to make it clear, my cifas marker wont stop me from getting tuition fee loans?
As has been said, quite a few times now, if you qualify for a tuition fee loan (through nationality/residency/whatever the SFE rules are) there is no credit check and the tuition fee will be paid directly to the university.
There is no credit check for the maintenance loan either but you must have a bank account in your name for them to pay in into. That is where your CIFAS marker comes in.
The government loans don't care if you have a CIFAS marker- they will still lend you the money for tuition and maintenance. You just need an account to receive maintenance into.
As has been said, quite a few times now, if you qualify for a tuition fee loan (through nationality/residency/whatever the SFE rules are) there is no credit check and the tuition fee will be paid directly to the university.
There is no credit check for the maintenance loan either but you must have a bank account in your name for them to pay in into. That is where your CIFAS marker comes in.
The government loans don't care if you have a CIFAS marker- they will still lend you the money for tuition and maintenance. You just need an account to receive maintenance into.

Alright thank you, and also im sorry for bothering you :frown: have a great weekend
Alright thank you, and also im sorry for bothering you :frown: have a great weekend

That's ok - I am just struggling to say the same thing in different ways to get the message across.
What was your situation?

same as yours lol still living
Original post by yolo10101010
same as yours lol still living

How did u get ur maintenance loan?
How did u get ur maintenance loan?

straight to my monzo. apparently its been getting harder for students who have been doing fraud to get monzo accounts but youll never know unless you try and apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending