The Student Room Group

German or French

Which is easier to get grade 9 in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yuab7

french
I would just pick French, even if it is harder.
Reply 3
Original post by deadroseex
I would just pick French, even if it is harder.

Why?
Reply 4
Btw i’m predicted 8 in german and 7 in french. I get better grades in German, I find the vocab easy but the grammar hard
Original post by Yuab7
Why?

I do French at school. I would also love to go to France. I will probably, never go Germany. I also, will probably use French more. I find French easy.
Reply 6
Why not both?
Personally French since if I start German I would know absolutely nothing so in my eyes there’s no point when you’ve already started French.
I'm doing a degree in both of them, and I'd say French as you don't have to worry about cases. But honestly, both are manageable as long as you work hard, and each comes with their own difficulties! I really love writing in German because of the complex grammar, but that's not for everyone. I also love french because of the random spellings and rules, but a lot of people don't like how many grammatical exceptions. But a 9 is never guaranteed, either way!
Original post by Yuab7
Btw i’m predicted 8 in german and 7 in french. I get better grades in German, I find the vocab easy but the grammar hard

German then, is your goal just to pass the exam?
Original post by Yuab7

i did german and french at school and i'd say french was a lot easier
Original post by Yuab7

German. It is similar to English in terms of their stem, both are West Germanic languages. French is a Roman language and thus more different to English.
both
Original post by Yuab7

Another reason to take German. Is the grammar in French easier for you then? hardly likely!
Original post by Kallisto
German. It is similar to English in terms of their stem, both are West Germanic languages. French is a Roman language and thus more different to English.

not necessary, you need to be motivated to do well etc
Depends what you're better at.
Original post by hootdoot04
not necessary, you need to be motivated to do well etc

People are motivated to learn French? does really people exist to learn this language for fun? what a horrible imagination.
Original post by Kallisto
People are motivated to learn French? does really people exist to learn this language for fun? what a horrible imagination.

why pick a language at GCSE if you're not motivated to do it... erm yes I do learn languages for 'fun', like many other people
Original post by hootdoot04
why pick a language at GCSE if you're not motivated to do it... erm yes I do learn languages for 'fun', like many other people

UCL has GCSE MFL requirements. People might do it for that. Also, some schools force their pupils to take one.
Original post by Tolgash
UCL has GCSE MFL requirements. People might do it for that. Also, some schools force their pupils to take one.

I doubt the mass majority of GCSE students have their sights set on a specific uni... :cool: I'd love to be forced to do another language when I took my exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending