The Student Room Group

When to book transport home from uni?

When should my brother book transport home from uni? Doing it now will likely be cheaper however there is a risk that there might still be restrictions in place so might lose money if the restrictions mean he can't travel. His uni course finishes 4th December and doesn't want to spend weeks at uni when he doesn't need to be there.
Now? Lol is he really gonna let the government tell him he can't go home? Jesus christ people need to stop being such sheep
Original post by Anonymous
Now? Lol is he really gonna let the government tell him he can't go home? Jesus christ people need to stop being such sheep

Yes if it means he will be fined.
Original post by College_Student7
Yes if it means he will be fined.

Wot is da govirnmint gonna do, dey cant give every1 a fine
Original post by Anonymous
Wot is da govirnmint gonna do, dey cant give every1 a fine

I really don't care. That wasn't what I asked.
Reply 5
I really don't care. That wasn't what I asked.

Your questions pretty ridiculous to be fair, none of us are fortune tellers. We can't tell you whether or not he will be allowed to travel in December.
Original post by mma_jd
Your questions pretty ridiculous to be fair, none of us are fortune tellers. We can't tell you whether or not he will be allowed to travel in December.

Asking for advice, yes, that does sound pretty ridiculous doesn't it

/s
book it now, most places have covid security where you get your money back if restrictions mean that you can't travel x
Original post by Leahtaylor125
book it now, most places have covid security where you get your money back if restrictions mean that you can't travel x

Thank you! We just searched this and found this on LNER's website:

"Advance tickets are not usually refundable. However, we understand that sometimes your plans might change. In some circumstances we have removed the £10 admin fee and are able to offer an eVoucher for journeys you're no longer able to make due to Covid restrictions."

Hopefully that should be fine then. An eVoucher is better than nothing and will probably be used, just at a later date.
Thank you! We just searched this and found this on LNER's website:

"Advance tickets are not usually refundable. However, we understand that sometimes your plans might change. In some circumstances we have removed the £10 admin fee and are able to offer an eVoucher for journeys you're no longer able to make due to Covid restrictions."

Hopefully that should be fine then. An eVoucher is better than nothing and will probably be used, just at a later date.

If he’s travelling by train to move house then that’s allowed even during lockdown situations.

I would suggest that he books now but to minimise the risk of him having to cancel his travel because he (or someone in his household) develops symptoms on the travel date then he should plan in to self isolate for a week (or a bit more) before he is due to travel. Depending on his course that might be before term ends on the 4th or after. That also minimises the risk that he might pass the virus on to his family too.

It’s a good idea to plan the same sort of self isolation period in before returning after Christmas too (for the same reasons - less likely to spread the virus or to disrupt his travel plans because of symptoms).
Perhaps leave it until a couple of days after the restrictions are due to end, so that there is time to move the journey should they be extended. Though my opinion is that the likelihood of extension of the current restrictions instead of reversion to tiers is growing less by the day.
When should my brother book transport home from uni? Doing it now will likely be cheaper however there is a risk that there might still be restrictions in place so might lose money if the restrictions mean he can't travel. His uni course finishes 4th December and doesn't want to spend weeks at uni when he doesn't need to be there.

Can you or a family member drive?
It would probably be better than using public transport to prevent the spread of the virus
There’s no reason to worry about the current lockdown restrictions. You could book to travel home this week without any risk of being fined. Moving home is an allowed reason to travel. The restrictions are on people popping home from university for a weekend.

Anytime would be fine, because you’re family, he’s technically within your support bubble. Yeah obviously book it whilst transport is still running.
Or pick him up in a car if you can, it’s not like there are police chasing people down, don’t worry ☺️

I mean that because it might be better to pick him up instead of using public transport to prevent the spread
I personally just took a bus down here on Thursday, nobody really cared
Original post by SleepyBeans
Anytime would be fine, because you’re family, he’s technically within your support bubble. Yeah obviously book it whilst transport is still running.
Or pick him up in a car if you can, it’s not like there are police chasing people down, don’t worry ☺️

A support bubble would only apply if the university and home are in Wales or the brother is the only adult in their flat at university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending