The Student Room Group

Genetic and Genomic Counselling MSc Cardiff University 2020

Hello! I thought I would start a thread for the Genetic and Genomic Counselling MSc at Cardiff university for 2020. I've completed my interview but it would be good to hear any course-related thoughts from any other applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, glad there's a thread for this! I'm an applicant this year but not had my interview yet - how did you find it? :smile:
Original post by sourapples
Hi there, glad there's a thread for this! I'm an applicant this year but not had my interview yet - how did you find it? :smile:

Hi! Yeah, I thought it was about time as it’s pretty helpful during the applicant stage. I found the interview fine, they made me feel comfortable and aware what I need to do next so you’ll be absolutely fine! What background do you have for this degree?☺️
Original post by Eilidh.Sx
Hi! Yeah, I thought it was about time as it’s pretty helpful during the applicant stage. I found the interview fine, they made me feel comfortable and aware what I need to do next so you’ll be absolutely fine! What background do you have for this degree?☺️

Ah okay good, that sounds reassuring! :h: I have an undergraduate degree in Genetics and have been working in care since - and how about you?
Original post by sourapples
Ah okay good, that sounds reassuring! :h: I have an undergraduate degree in Genetics and have been working in care since - and how about you?

I am just graduating this year in Biomed and have had a fair bit of care experience during my summers/ part time work. Did you apply to the STP or to Glasgow at all?
Original post by Eilidh.Sx
I am just graduating this year in Biomed and have had a fair bit of care experience during my summers/ part time work. Did you apply to the STP or to Glasgow at all?

Oh nice!! I wish I had been so proactive during my uni years haha :tongue: I applied to STP, didn't get an interview and I haven't applied to Glasgow as I'm not wanting to move there. You? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by username5168618
Hello! I thought I would start a thread for the Genetic and Genomic Counselling MSc at Cardiff university for 2020. I've completed my interview but it would be good to hear any course-related thoughts from any other applicants!

Hiya, just reivving this ol' thing hehe

Have you started your course? How are you finding it so far?

I've been considering applying for the 2021 intake, and reading the info about their placements it seems like I need to already have a placement contacts as a prerequisite? I'm in Nottingham where they do have a Genetics centre, so I was thinking there but I'm not sure how I would go about prearranging a placement when I'm not sure if I've gotten the place at Cardiff.

There's a big chance that I've misunderstood the whole placement thing - but if it's not too much trouble, could you walk me through what you did/are doing for your second year placements?

Thank you
Original post by notari

I've been considering applying for the 2021 intake, and reading the info about their placements it seems like I need to already have a placement contacts as a prerequisite? I'm in Nottingham where they do have a Genetics centre, so I was thinking there but I'm not sure how I would go about prearranging a placement when I'm not sure if I've gotten the place at Cardiff.

There's a big chance that I've misunderstood the whole placement thing - but if it's not too much trouble, could you walk me through what you did/are doing for your second year placements?

Thank you

Hi notari,
Just noticed this. I'm a current student. You just need to have an idea of where you'd like to have placement and why for when they ask you in the interview. You don't need to contact the centre. Then if you pass interview stage they will try to reach agreement for a placement for you in your preferred place. Once it's all sorted you're officially accepted. Having said that, a few students on the course don't know where they will be placed. Long story short, don't stress about the placement! Know your preferences but the course admin will sort it out for you if you pass interview.
Reply 8
Original post by notari

Thank you

Hi!

I'm also applying this year! Just writing my personal statement at the moment. Have you submitted your application yet?
Hey,
Hope everyone is keeping safe.
I'm thinking about applying for this year,2021 but I'm unsure due to the financial aspect of things. I'm from Ireland and have my undergraduate degree in Genetics and have been working in a long-term residential care home since last July. Anybody on the course with any tips? Anybody not from the UK and thinking about the financial side of things too?
Reply 10
Hey guys, PLEASE HELP!! I have my interview on monday for this semester. I registered on eventbrite but I never received any instructions as to how to access the actual interview. Do you guys remember how to do that. I would really appreciate it.
Reply 11
Original post by Tptptp
Hey guys, PLEASE HELP!! I have my interview on monday for this semester. I registered on eventbrite but I never received any instructions as to how to access the actual interview. Do you guys remember how to do that. I would really appreciate it.

I haven't received any instructions either I'm afraid. I would email them to let them know, so that they know it's not your fault if you aren't there at the scheduled time. And perhaps try ringing the general enquiries line, which is the only phone number you can ring at the weekend. What time is your interview?
Reply 12
Original post by Tptptp

Original post by ER141
I haven't received any instructions either I'm afraid. I would email them to let them know, so that they know it's not your fault if you aren't there at the scheduled time. And perhaps try ringing the general enquiries line, which is the only phone number you can ring at the weekend. What time is your interview?

I've just seen that I had an email from them yesterday, but it went to my junk mail, so check there. It will have a unique Zoom link that you will need to access at the beginning of your time slot.

What are you doing your presentation on?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Hey everyone, has anyone that had an interview heard anything back yet? I had my interview at the beginning of May and haven’t heard anything yet
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Eljane
Hey everyone, has anyone that had an interview heard anything back yet? I had my interview at the beginning of May and haven’t heard anything yet

Nothing. A few other people have also said they've heard nothing (on the 2019 Cardiff G&GC MSc thread). I imagine we will all hear at the same time. The last interviews were at the end of May, and they told me we would hear in June, so it could be any time in the next couple of weeks.
Reply 15
Original post by ER141
Nothing. A few other people have also said they've heard nothing (on the 2019 Cardiff G&GC MSc thread). I imagine we will all hear at the same time. The last interviews were at the end of May, and they told me we would hear in June, so it could be any time in the next couple of weeks.

That’s great to know thank you! I was told end of May/ early June so that’s why I got a bit panicked! All the best to you ☺️
Reply 16
Original post by Eljane
That’s great to know thank you! I was told end of May/ early June so that’s why I got a bit panicked! All the best to you ☺️

Ooh, yes, I can understand why that would panic you! Don't worry, it doesn't look like anybody has heard yet, there's still time! Good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by ER141
Ooh, yes, I can understand why that would panic you! Don't worry, it doesn't look like anybody has heard yet, there's still time! Good luck!

Thank you! Good luck to you too
Reply 18
Original post by Eljane
Thank you! Good luck to you too

I've just had an email that I have a place! So excited! Mine went to junk mail, so check there
Reply 19
Original post by ER141
I've just had an email that I have a place! So excited! Mine went to junk mail, so check there

I got one too!! Congrats on yours!!! Where are you thinking for placement options?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending