The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Official Swansea University 2021 applicant thread

Hi there:hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Swansea University for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?
Have you visited Swansea before?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm Jemma I study maths, physics and chemistry at A level and am thinking of applying to Swansea for chem eng.If you put Swansea as your second choice, is it likely you'll be able to get Bay campus accommodation if you decide not to go to your firm on results day? I'm really between Swansea and Bath and since Bath has the higher grade requirement I'll put it as my firm if I get an offer but I don't want to be stuck for accommodation if I want to go to Swansea
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by jemmas123
Hi I'm Jemma I study maths, physics and chemistry at A level and am thinking of applying to Swansea for chem eng.If you put Swansea as your second choice, is it likely you'll be able to get Bay campus accommodation if you decide not to go to your firm on results day? I'm really between Swansea and Bath and since Bath has the higher grade requirement I'll put it as my firm if I get an offer but I don't want to be stuck for accommodation if I want to go to Swansea

Hi @jemmas123 :smile:

Great question! as I'm sure you can imagine this will vary annually depending on demand for the accommodation. I've reached out to my colleagues in the accommodation team to see if they can offer some more information, and I'll get back to you as soon as I know more!

- Mia, enquiries assistant :smile:
Hi @jemmas123

I've heard back from my colleagues in accommodation, and their advice is the sooner you can make an accommodation application the better. When you make an application you're able to select 8 properties and you can rank these in order of your preference, which the accommodation team do their best to honour! Unfortunately it's difficult to say the likelihood of you receiving Bay Campus on results day as it's not possible to predict the demand for the accommodation.

Information on how to apply for accommodation is available here which I hope you'll find useful :smile:

- Mia :smile:
Hiya, I currently study A2 Biology, History, L3 Applied Diploma in Business
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey I’m studying psychology, philsophy and biology (predicted A*AB) and have applied for psych at Swansea. Anyone else applying for psychology?
Hi everyone!
@jemmas123 @Pengwyn<3 @Marthaalexanderr

Have any of you had the chance to visit Swansea yet? unfortunately due to Covid we're not able to run any in person events at the moment, but we are running a Virtual Open Day tomorrow!

Open Days are a great opportunity for you to chat to lecturers and meet current students, ask any burning questions you may have! Register for our Live Virtual Undergraduate Open Day to receive your online programme with exclusive access to events such as:
· Department and/or subject presentations
· Live question and answer session with our staff
· Live question and answer session with our students
· Live virtual tours

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi everyone!

Have any of you had the chance to visit Swansea yet? unfortunately due to Covid we're not able to run any in person events at the moment, but we are running a Virtual Open Day tomorrow!

Open Days are a great opportunity for you to chat to lecturers and meet current students, ask any burning questions you may have! Register for our Live Virtual Undergraduate Open Day to receive your online programme with exclusive access to events such as:
· Live virtual tours

thanks! I forgot I signed up for it. I've never been to Swansea unfortunately 🗿
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pengwyn<3
thanks! I forgot I signed up for it. I've never been to Swansea unfortunately 🗿

No problem! Hopefully (covid permitting) you'll be able to visit soon! :smile::crossedf:
- Mia
Hi everyone!

· Live virtual tours

Thank you I’ve just signed up for it
Original post by Marthaalexanderr
Thank you I’ve just signed up for it

That's great! we'll be sending communications out tomorrow morning with the instructions and links to join the event. Hope you enjoy! :smile:
wanted to say the open day was brilliant!! just that the links to the course webinars on zoom (also brilliant loved it & the staff were great) and Q&A were kinda cluttered in the subject live chat with following responses. would be great if they could be pinned so everyone can see them first. would also be nice if we could like, have a list of our asked questions because while they had to be moderated I went to check other things & couldn't find the answer in the clutter.

(still fab & a lot more organised versus other uni's like Aberystwyth. & the aesthetic 😭❤️ adored it)

oh & would it be okay if they were recorded? because I couldn't hear some things because of connection or sound in general. like it would be nice if we could revisit it or for people who missed it/were attending other zoom meetings etc)
Original post by Pengwyn<3
wanted to say the open day was brilliant!! just that the links to the course webinars on zoom (also brilliant loved it & the staff were great) and Q&A were kinda cluttered in the subject live chat with following responses. would be great if they could be pinned so everyone can see them first. would also be nice if we could like, have a list of our asked questions because while they had to be moderated I went to check other things & couldn't find the answer in the clutter.

(still fab & a lot more organised versus other uni's like Aberystwyth. & the aesthetic 😭❤️ adored it)

oh & would it be okay if they were recorded? because I couldn't hear some things because of connection or sound in general. like it would be nice if we could revisit it or for people who missed it/were attending other zoom meetings etc)

Hi @Pengwyn<3,

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words! I'll definitely pass this on to the relevant teams to see what I can find out.

Your point about a list function for people to see their own questions is a great idea and I'll be passing it on to my colleagues to look into. Your feedback is really helpful so I do really appreciate it, it will help us make our next event bigger and better! :biggrin:

Were there any questions you feel you didn't get answers to? maybe I can help or point you in the right direction? :smile:

- Mia
Hi @Pengwyn<3,

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words! I'll definitely pass this on to the relevant teams to see what I can find out.

Your point about a list function for people to see their own questions is a great idea and I'll be passing it on to my colleagues to look into. Your feedback is really helpful so I do really appreciate it, it will help us make our next event bigger and better! :biggrin:

Were there any questions you feel you didn't get answers to? maybe I can help or point you in the right direction? :smile:

- Mia

no problem, glad to be of help! I've got the emails of some of the staff in the subject stream which we could contact if we had any more queries so it's alright.

thanks for a fab event!
Just gotten an offer of ABB for psych

that's great!! 🥳

Congratulations! :h:
Hi everyone :smile:

I hope you’re all doing okay. My name is Mia, and I work in Swansea University’s Admissions Office. I just wanted to introduce myself and offer some support and guidance following the recent announcement from the Welsh Government Education Minister that all end of year exams are being scrapped for the summer of 2021.

If you’re an offer holder at Swansea, we want to reassure you that does not affect your application to Swansea Uni, and if you’re thinking of applying to Swansea this doesn’t affect the way that we will treat your application.

When you apply to Swansea University, we have a guaranteed offer scheme. This means that you will receive an offer and have the opportunity to secure a place.

We want to let you know that no matter how your final grades are awarded, Swansea University is always flexible when it comes to confirming your place. If your grades are not what you expected, we will have a conversation with you and do our best to either accept you onto the original course you applied for, or to make an alternative offer. During last summer, we were praised by our applicants for our flexibility and being willing to listen.

We are also committed to treating all of our applicants fairly. We won’t be giving preferential treatment to people who may have been awarded grades via exams.

We know that you have had a disrupted education and are having to make decisions about going to university in a time of uncertainty. We are here to help you all the way. We hope we’ll be able to host more virtual Open Day events in the near future, and you can also get in touch with us at any time if you have any questions.

You can reach us on here, via email on [email protected], or on live chat

I hope this helps, take care and stay safe everyone Mia :smile:
Reply 18
Hi I’m Lisi, I study Biology, Applied science and the welsh baccalaureate. I’ve got an offer for applied medical sciences at Swansea. I’ve never visited Swansea before. I’m struggling to pick between Swansea or Cardiff as my firm choice as I’ve got offers for both Uni’s. I have visited Cardiff as I live there, but I’m really struggling to choose between the two! Swansea: Applied medical sciences with a foundation year offer (A*AB) Cardiff university: Biomedical sciences with a professional training year (ABB)
Original post by LB2305
Hi I’m Lisi, I study Biology, Applied science and the welsh baccalaureate. I’ve got an offer for applied medical sciences at Swansea. I’ve never visited Swansea before. I’m struggling to pick between Swansea or Cardiff as my firm choice as I’ve got offers for both Uni’s. I have visited Cardiff as I live there, but I’m really struggling to choose between the two! Swansea: Applied medical sciences with a foundation year offer (A*AB) Cardiff university: Biomedical sciences with a professional training year (ABB)

is it just which uni is better for you or the accomodation and stuff? i live in Cardiff too 🥳 but i know Swansea's a lot wetter.

Quick Reply

Latest