The Student Room Group

What’s the difference?

My uncle has just moved out and he told me to buy some appliances. I have been looking, I don’t know what to get him, he said he wants something good quality. I saw some Smeg ones, I don’t know the difference between like a Smeg fridge or Hotpoint for example. Is Smeg better quality or something? Are they longer lasting? If it is he needs something like this. Anyone who knows about this sort of stuff please let me know
Smeg is a ridiculously overpriced brand. (Bush do a retro fridge that looks like the smeg but a lot cheaper if you really like that style)

Hotpoint/bush/beco /hisense... most of the other brands are pretty standard. I’d tend to buy a brand rather than an own brand but that’s only my personal opinion.

Look at reviews, look at how long their warranty is.

Check sizes both external and internal.

Depends on what you’re looking for -fridge freezer/tall fridge/undercounter fridge. Ice maker/water dispenser etc

I’d Make sure it’s energy rating is A, A+, A++
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
Smeg is a ridiculously overpriced brand. (Bush do a retro fridge that looks like the smeg but a lot cheaper if you really like that style)

Hotpoint/bush/beco /hisense... most of the other brands are pretty standard. I’d tend to buy a brand rather than an own brand but that’s only my personal opinion.

Look at reviews, look at how long their warranty is.

Check sizes both external and internal.

Depends on what you’re looking for -fridge freezer/tall fridge/undercounter fridge. Ice maker/water dispenser etc

I’d Make sure it’s energy rating is A, A+, A++

What’s the difference between a bush retro styled one and a Smeg retro styled?
Original post by Aspire 8
What’s the difference between a bush retro styled one and a Smeg retro styled?

The price!!! 😹
Smeg is £800 to Bush’s £230

Smeg larder is smaller than the Bush larder

Smeg comes in “pretty” colours too and is possibly slightly sleeker.

Smeg is A++ whilst Bush is A+ so Smeg is slightly more energy efficient.

Neither of the larder fridges have freezer compartments though.
Reply 4
The price!!! 😹
Smeg is £800 to Bush’s £230

Smeg larder is smaller than the Bush larder

Smeg comes in “pretty” colours too and is possibly slightly sleeker.

Smeg is A++ whilst Bush is A+ so Smeg is slightly more energy efficient.

Neither of the larder fridges have freezer compartments though.

Reported 😌
Reported 😌

Reported for what???
I mean I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer and it is perfectly fine. We have had it for at least 4/5 years. We also have a Hotpoint freezer and we have had it for 2 years We have never had any problems with either. They look modern, new and work fine!
Reply 7
Reported for what???

For laughing at me and my girlfriends dad works for Smeg yet you are dissing it
For laughing at me and my girlfriends dad works for Smeg yet you are dissing it

If you want to buy something 4 times the price that’s smaller just because it comes in colours for away. 😹😹
Original post by deadroseex
I mean I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer and it is perfectly fine. We have had it for at least 4/5 years. We also have a Hotpoint freezer and we have had it for 2 years We have never had any problems with either. They look modern, new and work fine!

Yeah mines a hotpoint as well. Never had any issues.

To some extent a fridge is a fridge- as long as it’s the right size then not really much difference.

Except Smeg-they’re ridiculously over priced. Their toasters are like £170 😹
Reply 10
If you want to buy something 4 times the price that’s smaller just because it comes in colours for away. 😹😹

Reported again 😒
Yeah mines a hotpoint as well. Never had any issues.

To some extent a fridge is a fridge- as long as it’s the right size then not really much difference.

Except Smeg-they’re ridiculously over priced. Their toasters are like £170 😹

I know some disabled looking toaster which you can go to Asda and get one for 30 quid and it would last you like 3 years at least.
Reply 12
I know some disabled looking toaster which you can go to Asda and get one for 30 quid and it would last you like 3 years at least.

I’m looking more for large appliances like a fridge freezer
I’m looking more for large appliances like a fridge freezer

Anything but Smeg, to be fair. Unless, you are going for a specific aesthetic.
My girlfriends dad works for Smeg you son of a b*tch

Then I hope she can get you a very, very good discount.

Like 75% discount.

I actually think they look ok but never in a million years would I pay that price. I got my Russel Hobbes toaster and kettle set for about £40 and they’re even nicer.
Reply 16
Then I hope she can get you a very, very good discount.

Like 75% discount.

Yes they get discount

Quick Reply

Latest