The Student Room Group

study help please urgently

So basically my homework task im a university student so my task is what we're the social, political and cultural influences within your era and how did this influence the evolution of makeup artistry?
My era is middle ages the medieval period can anyone help me i get the culture cos i can take about wat was allowed but the political and social influences im struggling it's due soon so I'm panicking xxx
Hi, I'm not an expert or anything but I might be able to help at least a little? If was doing the project here are some questions I'd ask myself:

1) Who are the influential royals and nobles of the era and how did they influence the beauty standards of the time period?
2) In the middle ages England was often invaded or taken over by others such as the Romans and Normans, so did this lead to beauty being influenced by Roman or Norman culture?
3) How might beauty and make up differ between different religions, ethnic groups and social classes?
4) Did make up have any special meaning in the era? For example, in certain periods of history natural, subtle makeup was popular because wearing bold, heavy make up was considered something only prostitutes and "loose women" wore. In other cultures and time periods makeup may have been used purely for ceremonial/cultural purposes, rather than to look attractive. etc etc

Idk if that was any help but I hope it wasn't totally useless 😅
Romans tends to be seen an ancient history rather than Middle Ages/Medieval.

I have one word for you that is a massive social and political influence on every aspect of life in the M. Ages:

RELIGION
Original post by 04MR17
Romans tends to be seen an ancient history rather than Middle Ages/Medieval.

I have one word for you that is a massive social and political influence on every aspect of life in the M. Ages:

RELIGION

wikipedia told me that at the start of middle ages, England had just been coming out from under roman rule. I assumed that the romans would have impacted the culture because of this, but I could be wrong of course.
Reply 4
Original post by LunaAngelEclipse
Hi, I'm not an expert or anything but I might be able to help at least a little? If was doing the project here are some questions I'd ask myself:

1) Who are the influential royals and nobles of the era and how did they influence the beauty standards of the time period?
2) In the middle ages England was often invaded or taken over by others such as the Romans and Normans, so did this lead to beauty being influenced by Roman or Norman culture?
3) How might beauty and make up differ between different religions, ethnic groups and social classes?
4) Did make up have any special meaning in the era? For example, in certain periods of history natural, subtle makeup was popular because wearing bold, heavy make up was considered something only prostitutes and "loose women" wore. In other cultures and time periods makeup may have been used purely for ceremonial/cultural purposes, rather than to look attractive. etc etc

Idk if that was any help but I hope it wasn't totally useless 😅

Thanks hun xxx
Reply 5
Original post by LunaAngelEclipse
wikipedia told me that at the start of middle ages, England had just been coming out from under roman rule. I assumed that the romans would have impacted the culture because of this, but I could be wrong of course.

Thanks hun xxx
Original post by rosalind1
Thanks hun xxx

Happy to help! :smile:

Quick Reply