The Student Room Group

Official Ireland 2021 University applicant thread

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University in Ireland for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What courses/Universities are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manooka

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University in Ireland for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What courses/Universities are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>

Hi, I am planning on applying to Trinity and UCD for Computer Science. I want to know what stuff do I need to send off, like(a personal statement, reference, certificates, etc).
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am planning on applying to Trinity and UCD for Computer Science. I want to know what stuff do I need to send off, like(a personal statement, reference, certificates, etc).

I'm applying to trinity as well (for classics), and I found this on their site (https://www.tcd.ie/study/apply/making-an-application/undergraduate/index.php ) but it depends on how you're applying, either CAO or directly through the website... I'm not sure if UCD wants the same documents but you should check on their site!
Hello! I'm applying to Trinity, UCD and RCSI for Medicine (yikes, i know!) and I'm really excited! I'm also applying for Medicine in England, so I have a lot on my plate honestly.
Reply 4
Original post by makuaroni
Hello! I'm applying to Trinity, UCD and RCSI for Medicine (yikes, i know!) and I'm really excited! I'm also applying for Medicine in England, so I have a lot on my plate honestly.

I am thinking of doing the same. I am an EU student and seeing as Brexit is going to make the UK extremely expensive, I am hoping for Ireland.
Original post by bananaxo
I am thinking of doing the same. I am an EU student and seeing as Brexit is going to make the UK extremely expensive, I am hoping for Ireland.

Ireland is an amazing place to go to Uni, and as long as you get the grades you need, you're almost guaranteed a place. Good luck!
Hey guys! I'm from England and applying for '21 entry (ideally Classics at Trinity), do you know if we qualify as international or EU students? (Oh you gotta love Brexit.)
Reply 7
Considering Ireland for Medicine.
Cyprus Apolityrion - 460 points expected from this
4 A levels - in one sitting (expected 3 As)
completed Greek with A*
Already completed AS all As.
English as first lang with 8
IGCSE maths, physics, bio, chem 2x8’s and 2x9’s
Do I have to sit any additional exams?
Chances? I am EU student
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm considering applying to medical schools in Ireland as well but I'm confused about the fees situation. Does anyone know how you pay for accommodation there? Do you pay out of pocket? Or is there a loan I can get if I got in? I'm so confused!!
Hi everyone :smile:)
I'm interested in TCD Undergraduate Computer Science (TR033). I'm a Polish citizen applying with Polish Leaving Certificate via CAO. Almost everything is ready, I cannot however work out if I need a personal statement and academic references. Different sources provide different answers.
I know that non-EU candidates applying directly through tcd.ie are obliged to deliver their PS and references. This however does not anyhow relate to EU candidates applying through CAO. This page:
https://www.tcd.ie/study/apply/making-an-application/undergraduate/index.php does not solve my dilemma.
I found in tcd.ie website that a 500-word PS and two academic references are required as basic requirements. Some students however claim (also at The Student's Room) that only your academic scores are to be provided.
Good luck everyone and thank you for help :smile:)
Original post by makuaroni

I'm doing the same, how are you going to prep for HPAT?
Reply 11
Original post by Holliefinn
I'm doing the same, how are you going to prep for HPAT?

Does anyone know if the HPAT is online this year because the HPAT ulster is online.
Original post by Venusplants
Hey guys! I'm from England and applying for '21 entry (ideally Classics at Trinity), do you know if we qualify as international or EU students? (Oh you gotta love Brexit.)

yeah I was wondering this too! I have British and Irish citizenship but have lived in Britain my whole life - does anyone know if I apply direct or through CAO?
Does anyone know what the fee status for UK students for 2021/22 will be? I'm hoping to apply to the MA Public History (ed. at Trinity) but I'm terrified I'll be classed as an international student and won't be able to afford the fees!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LidaH
Considering Ireland for Medicine.
Cyprus Apolityrion - 460 points expected from this
4 A levels - in one sitting (expected 3 As)
completed Greek with A*
Already completed AS all As.
English as first lang with 8
IGCSE maths, physics, bio, chem 2x8’s and 2x9’s
Do I have to sit any additional exams?
Chances? I am EU student

If you're sitting four A-Levels (which you absolutely need to for medicine, or any competitive course), you need to sit all four in the same year, otherwise, the one you sat the previous year will just be ignored in the CAO points tabulation. This is because all Irish Leaving Cert students have to complete their exams in the final year of secondary school and allowing A-level applicants to spread out the course load would give them an unfair advantage. Your only solution really is to repeat Greek this year along with your other three A-levels. Students only presenting three A-levels in a given year can also present the highest AS grade (in which they are not continuing to A2 level) but this is not weighted as favourably as a fourth A-level, and really a non-option for medicine. The basic university matriculation requirements are reached through GCSE exams (just pass English, Maths and a language other than English), but that's it - your application will not be considered any more favourably even if you got a slew of 8s and 9s - your application is really decided by your A-levels. This also means that you need to have two of physics, chemistry and biology at A-level. And if you sit a Maths subject, you get a bonus of 25 CAO points. Finally, even if you have all of this, you need to come to Ireland to sit the HPAT exam in February, which constitutes a massive part of any medicine application. Here's a link explaining the process - http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2021/UGMedEntry2021.pdf
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by ebutcher14
yeah I was wondering this too! I have British and Irish citizenship but have lived in Britain my whole life - does anyone know if I apply direct or through CAO?

i'm irish but i have uk friends applying - it's def through cao. the fee status MAY change but it's almost definitely not going to. the reciprocal agreement between UK & Ireland means that citizens of either country can move, live, work, and be educated in the other. brexit won't change that, unless something goes really sideways. :smile:
Original post by ronanmurphy98
If you're sitting four A-Levels (which you absolutely need to for medicine, or any competitive course), you need to sit all four in the same year, otherwise, the one you sat the previous year will just be ignored in the CAO points tabulation. This is because all Irish Leaving Cert students have to complete their exams in the final year of secondary school and allowing A-level applicants to spread out the course load would give them an unfair advantage. Your only solution really is to repeat Greek this year along with your other three A-levels. Students only presenting three A-levels in a given year can also present the highest AS grade (in which they are not continuing to A2 level) but this is not weighted as favourably as a fourth A-level, and really a non-option for medicine. The basic university matriculation requirements are reached through GCSE exams (just pass English, Maths and a language other than English), but that's it - your application will not be considered any more favourably even if you got a slew of 8s and 9s - your application is really decided by your A-levels. This also means that you need to have two of physics, chemistry and biology at A-level. And if you sit a Maths subject, you get a bonus of 25 CAO points. Finally, even if you have all of this, you need to come to Ireland to sit the HPAT exam in February, which constitutes a massive part of any medicine application. Here's a link explaining the process - http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2021/UGMedEntry2021.pdf

Do you need to submit a personal statement for undergraduate medicine because I know on RCSI's website they've said Irish and EU school leavers do not need to submit a personal statement. Is this the same for other medical schools?
Hey! I need help because I am so confused. I want to apply to undergraduate medicine in Ireland. I am currently 3rd year biomedical science student in the UK. I can't seem to find any information on what are the entry requirements if you apply for undergrad medicine if you already have a degree. Do they still look at your GCSEs and A levels or will they look at my degree.
If anyone knows something about it please let me know :smile: Thank you !!!
Original post by maciejkuczynski
Hi everyone :smile:)
I'm interested in TCD Undergraduate Computer Science (TR033). I'm a Polish citizen applying with Polish Leaving Certificate via CAO. Almost everything is ready, I cannot however work out if I need a personal statement and academic references. Different sources provide different answers.
I know that non-EU candidates applying directly through tcd.ie are obliged to deliver their PS and references. This however does not anyhow relate to EU candidates applying through CAO. This page:
https://www.tcd.ie/study/apply/making-an-application/undergraduate/index.php does not solve my dilemma.
I found in tcd.ie website that a 500-word PS and two academic references are required as basic requirements. Some students however claim (also at The Student's Room) that only your academic scores are to be provided.
Good luck everyone and thank you for help :smile:)

I’m having the exact same issue, but can’t seem to find any information anywhere hahah, it’s infuriating!! If you figure something out let me know, I’ll do the same :smile: good luck!!
Reply 19
Original post by Sarahmjones01
I’m having the exact same issue, but can’t seem to find any information anywhere hahah, it’s infuriating!! If you figure something out let me know, I’ll do the same :smile: good luck!!

for TCD computer science, as a European student, you don't need any academic references, or personal statement, or anything like that. If you've made a CAO account you'll see there's nowhere to put it. If you've already finished your final exams you need to get the results to CAO, if you're still going to do them, send them as soon as you get your final results. It's pretty simple! I know it's a lot more complex if you're not EU, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending