The Student Room Group

Can’t learn from notes help

Hi there, im currently studying alevel biology and chemistry and what I’ve realised is that I cant revise and learn from notes. How else can I learn the content? And I can’t do past papers without knowing content! Can someone help? It’s stressing me out
Try to do some memory games like read through a revision guide page by page then see how much you can remember if not try consolidation questions (like topic by topic they're normally easier than past papers) and then look over the key points/ points you normally go wrong in or look at some more practical examples that are easy to remember and help you understand the content rather than just remembering it. I find that once I understand what's happening I find it a lot easier to remember and work with. I hope that helps
Is there digital content that could help?. People have different ways of learning, so nothing wrong with what you are facing.
Reply 3
Flashcards or mind maps are a great way to study. I do my flashcards in two ways;
1) I write questions on the back with a blue pen and the answer on the back. I find this especially good for chem because I find if you start to memorise mark schemes the questions become easier to answer. For example, explain why racemic mixtures are not optically active? It's a common question so its an easy way to get a mark or two.
2) The other type is simple and it's like a summary notes. So in red, I would write 'Acid-Base Hydrolysis' and then on the back summaries the topic, this way if I can easily look for information.
Now I mix the flashcards and they make a big pile which allows me to quiz myself. I flashcards in blue are questions and i need to answer them and flashcards in red are summary notes that I need to summaries.
I currently don't use mindmaps but I know my friends use them and they say they are really good for Biology. Biology has many processes so sticking your mindmaps where you can see is a good way to retain information. but I plan to do this!
Most important do questions!!!! There is no better way to get better honestly. Here are some websites you can use;
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/
https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/
and obviously, exam boards have past papers you can do and you can always ask your teachers!
That's all from me but if you need more help ask away :smile: Hope this helps
Original post by nmaster06
Try to do some memory games like read through a revision guide page by page then see how much you can remember if not try consolidation questions (like topic by topic they're normally easier than past papers) and then look over the key points/ points you normally go wrong in or look at some more practical examples that are easy to remember and help you understand the content rather than just remembering it. I find that once I understand what's happening I find it a lot easier to remember and work with. I hope that helps

Thank you !!! That helped a lot :smile:
Original post by ab_112
Flashcards or mind maps are a great way to study. I do my flashcards in two ways;
1) I write questions on the back with a blue pen and the answer on the back. I find this especially good for chem because I find if you start to memorise mark schemes the questions become easier to answer. For example, explain why racemic mixtures are not optically active? It's a common question so its an easy way to get a mark or two.
2) The other type is simple and it's like a summary notes. So in red, I would write 'Acid-Base Hydrolysis' and then on the back summaries the topic, this way if I can easily look for information.
Now I mix the flashcards and they make a big pile which allows me to quiz myself. I flashcards in blue are questions and i need to answer them and flashcards in red are summary notes that I need to summaries.
I currently don't use mindmaps but I know my friends use them and they say they are really good for Biology. Biology has many processes so sticking your mindmaps where you can see is a good way to retain information. but I plan to do this!
Most important do questions!!!! There is no better way to get better honestly. Here are some websites you can use;
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/
https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/
and obviously, exam boards have past papers you can do and you can always ask your teachers!
That's all from me but if you need more help ask away :smile: Hope this helps

Thank you so much that was so helpful!!!😊
Original post by barnetlad
Is there digital content that could help?. People have different ways of learning, so nothing wrong with what you are facing.

I think I’ll summarise notes on Word and then memorise? And then do past papers! Hopefully it works :frown:
I’d recommend either flash-carding or mind-mapping the content rather than re-reading notes.

Quick Reply

Latest