The Student Room Group

Biology or Biomedical Science degree

So i’m not sure which to choose. I know i want to do something biology related because it’s the subject i enjoy the most by far. I’ve looked at modules on university websites but i’m still unsure. I know biomed has a more practical component to it then biology but i’ve never particularly enjoyed practical work in a level biology. With biology, zoology is the most interesting part for me but i’m not sure about ecology which is a big part of biology because i’ve found food chains/webs which we’re doing right now in college pretty dull. I’m currently gravitating more to biology but which one should i pick? and which is more employable?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi there @mxx454

So there isn't really an easy answer to a lot of your questions unfortunately, but I'll do my best to help.

If you're interested in Human Biology particularly, and enjoy looking at the science of health, pharmacology etc - Biomedical Sciences is a great option. If you want to include more than just Human Biology, you would be better off going with Biology. But remember these aren't your only two options! There's lots of other Biology related degrees that could suit you better, so I would recommend finding out some other options and including these in your decisions too.

Neither degree is particularly more employable - it depends what you want to go into/what you want to use it for!

Hope that helps!
Lauren
3rd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
Reply 2
Original post by St George's, University of London
Hi there @mxx454

So there isn't really an easy answer to a lot of your questions unfortunately, but I'll do my best to help.

If you're interested in Human Biology particularly, and enjoy looking at the science of health, pharmacology etc - Biomedical Sciences is a great option. If you want to include more than just Human Biology, you would be better off going with Biology. But remember these aren't your only two options! There's lots of other Biology related degrees that could suit you better, so I would recommend finding out some other options and including these in your decisions too.

Neither degree is particularly more employable - it depends what you want to go into/what you want to use it for!

Hope that helps!
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep

Thank you!
How have you found your biomedical science degree like so far and what’s the difficulty like compared to a level? Also how much chemistry is involved because i’ve struggled with a level chemistry.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mxx454
Thank you!
How have you found your biomedical science degree like so far and what’s the difficulty like compared to a level? Also how much chemistry is involved because i’ve struggled with a level chemistry.

Hi @mxx454

Happy to help! I can only talk from my experience at George's, but hopefully it can give you some idea of what it's like. I've loved my Biomedical Science degree honestly - even more so than I'd expected! The mix of practical lab work, anatomy teaching on cadavers, small group teaching where we go through real medical scenarios and apply them to what we've learnt, and lectures has been really enjoyable. I was scared coming from A Levels and obviously a degree is harder, but the transition was a lot easier than expected, and a lot of resources are put in place in first year to help you get to grips with the material and there's extra support for anybody who struggles academically. The level of chemistry involved in it is less than I thought - I wasn't the biggest fan of A Level Chem and had struggled a bit with it and I've never struggled with the chemistry at degree level - in first year, the hardest the chemistry got was basic mole calculations,

Feel free to ask any more questions if you have them!
Best wishes,
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep
if i only do biology at a level will i still be able to do biomedical science??
Reply 5
Original post by the_studenttttt
if i only do biology at a level will i still be able to do biomedical science??

i’m not 100% but most that i’ve seen require chemistry
Biological sciences would be up your alley then. It's closer to biology while still retaining the more sciency feel of biomedical science. It revolves around looking at organisms and studying life. It's pretty diverse and has a lot more range than biology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending