The Student Room Group

Russian

Alright ladies and gents.

New to here, but alas haven't seen a thread dedicated to studying Russian at uni.

Any other Russianists on here? Or folk hoping to read it at Uni?

I'm a post A-Level fourth year - happy to answer any questions.
What are some of your favourite things about studying Russian?
Reply 2
Original post by nutellher
What are some of your favourite things about studying Russian?

My favourite is most definitely the fact that translation is kind of an art. The different cases in the language mean that the word order can be incredibly flexible... so piecing together a sentence into good English is very satisfying. Much more so than European languages, which, in my opinion, feel like you are simply translating word for word. It's boring.
Reply 3
Did you take russian at A level . I want to take it as im quite good at langauges but my school doesnt offer it so i came to the conclusion of doing independant studying for it . I was wondering how its like as theres not a lot of resources online .
Reply 4
Original post by K_a_m_z
Did you take russian at A level . I want to take it as im quite good at langauges but my school doesnt offer it so i came to the conclusion of doing independant studying for it . I was wondering how its like as theres not a lot of resources online .

Hi mate.

Yeah, I did it at A-Level, having started studying it in Year 8. If you've no previous knowledge of the language, then I think an A-Level in it within two years may prove a step too far perhaps...

You may be better picking it up from beginners at Uni, should that be the path you're to pursue.
Reply 5
Hi, I'm so glad a dedicated Russian thread actually exists! I'm applying to read Russian and History at Oxford. If you're already doing Russian A-level, are they likely to ask you to speak some Russian in the interview? Also, is it important to have read a bit of all the great writers ie. Dostoevsky, Solzhenitsyn, or should I just focus on really understanding the texts I've put in my personal statement (mainly Tolstoy)?
Reply 6
Original post by TheGentry
Hi mate.

Yeah, I did it at A-Level, having started studying it in Year 8. If you've no previous knowledge of the language, then I think an A-Level in it within two years may prove a step too far perhaps...

You may be better picking it up from beginners at Uni, should that be the path you're to pursue.

I'm pursuing a medical degree at university and I was thinking this A level might make me stand out amongst the others as it's not everyday you encounter someone who took russian . Mainly it will just be an extra A level for me , I speak and write fluently . However , i'm afraid I have no knowledge of how the examinations work as there's minimum resources out there . Would just doing past papers get me anywhere?
Reply 7
Original post by ilpp123
Hi, I'm so glad a dedicated Russian thread actually exists! I'm applying to read Russian and History at Oxford. If you're already doing Russian A-level, are they likely to ask you to speak some Russian in the interview? Also, is it important to have read a bit of all the great writers ie. Dostoevsky, Solzhenitsyn, or should I just focus on really understanding the texts I've put in my personal statement (mainly Tolstoy)?

My friend is a fourth year student, reading Russian and Spanish at Cambridge. He said the amount of Russian spoken was minimal, he seems to recall making a few comments in Russian about a poem. They expect you to understand literary texts very well.
Original post by K_a_m_z
I'm pursuing a medical degree at university and I was thinking this A level might make me stand out amongst the others as it's not everyday you encounter someone who took russian . Mainly it will just be an extra A level for me , I speak and write fluently . However , i'm afraid I have no knowledge of how the examinations work as there's minimum resources out there . Would just doing past papers get me anywhere?

If you're fluent in Russian then I'd say an A-Level is pointless. It would just be needless effort IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending