The Student Room Group

Speech and language therapy at City, Essex and Greenwich

Hi - I wanted to ask any current SLT students and SLT graduates from City University, University of Essex about their experiences of the degree (undergraduate preferably) and their experiences of the university they went to. What did/do you like and dislike about the degree and the university you chose and was/is it worth it?

I am picking between the 3 unis and have got really good or great impressions from the lecturers and students I've spoken to except for Greenwich, where there were no students at the open day and health sciences open evening I attended. It's much harder than I thought it would be to pick from them - I have an unconditional offer for City and Essex, and have an interview with Greenwich this week. I have completed a pros and cons list to help with deciding but if it's possible to hear from any students and graduates, I think that would really help. All insights would be very welcome - thanks very much!
hi i'm just curious where did you end up going?
Reply 2
Original post by aliyyah_u
hi i'm just curious where did you end up going?

Hi Aliyyah_u,

I went to City in the end. I liked all unis but was closest to City and didn't want to leave home, so went bases on finances. Obviously, COVID-19 has changed the look of things but I am generally pleased to be at City. Are you trying to decide out of any of those unis?
Original post by r03alyn_13
Hi Aliyyah_u,

I went to City in the end. I liked all unis but was closest to City and didn't want to leave home, so went bases on finances. Obviously, COVID-19 has changed the look of things but I am generally pleased to be at City. Are you trying to decide out of any of those unis?

How have you found your experience at City? Looking to do SLT there this year
Reply 4
Original post by charly-john
How have you found your experience at City? Looking to do SLT there this year

Hi charly-john,

It's been good although learning completely remotely was a big adjustment. The cohort I am in are really nice which helps. Teaching is mainly pretty good and the uni is well resourced with good links to a variety of placements. When we were in lockdown, placements were an issue for some people but it's been a lot better since so by the time you start, whether at City or anywhere else, this hopefully won't be an issue. If you don't mind being in a large cohort then City would be a good choice. One thing I would say is important is keeping on top of work set out as sometimes the amount being learned can be a lot - really interesting though. Good luck and if you've been accepted, congratulations :-)
Reply 5
Hi R03alyn
Would welcome your insights - I'm trying to choose between City (MSc or BSc) and UCL (MSc) as I have offers for the three. I understand that the MSc (level 7 credits) is harder and more intensive (but better opportunities to work abroad) while the BSc is a more manageable level and pace (more enjoyable?). My priority is to engage with and enjoy the course, rather than just to race through it. I would be interested to know if there is a general student preference for MSc or BSc route, if either is an option? Really looking forward to starting and any thoughts on pros/cons or student feedback v welcome! Jules
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Jules117
Hi R03alyn
Would welcome your insights - I'm trying to choose between City (MSc or BSc) and UCL (MSc) as I have offers for the three. I understand that the MSc (level 7 credits) is harder and more intensive (but better opportunities to work abroad) while the BSc is a more manageable level and pace (more enjoyable?). My priority is to engage with and enjoy the course, rather than just to race through it. I would be interested to know if there is a general student preference for MSc or BSc route, if either is an option? Really looking forward to starting and any thoughts on pros/cons or student feedback v welcome! Jules

Hi Jules117,

Good question - I think that most of both cohorts liked the learning so far, judging from some mixed classes. A few of the MSc cohort have referred to the amount of information they are learning at once but before I started, many people I met wanted to finish the course in a shorter time.

For me, it's worked well learning at a more steady pace, with placements, assignments and exams spread out and some of the BSc cohort have said learning at the pace has worked for them. Also, there are some on my course who are working and/or have care responsibilities and the way the course is spread out has made doing the degree manageable for them.

If you don't mind working really intensely and having a packed week of learning and doing self-study, then the 2 year course might suit you better but it might be harder to have outside commitments and keep on top of learning and assignments, esp with placements.

Also, with City with the BSc degree, if a person's marks are equivalent to 2:1 or above (I think) by the end of year 2, they can apply to convert their BSc to a Masters if they study for an extra year (4 in total). That is another year and people may not want to be in uni for that long but I'm just letting you know City offers that option.

Sorry my answer is so long! I think what might be important for you is considering what other components are important for you other than enjoying the course, as you will hopefully enjoy learning various aspects of speech, language and communication. I hope that is helpful and congratulations on your offers! Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy the degree as it is both great and challenging :-)
Reply 7
Original post by r03alyn_13
Hi Jules117,

Good question - I think that most of both cohorts liked the learning so far, judging from some mixed classes. A few of the MSc cohort have referred to the amount of information they are learning at once but before I started, many people I met wanted to finish the course in a shorter time.

For me, it's worked well learning at a more steady pace, with placements, assignments and exams spread out and some of the BSc cohort have said learning at the pace has worked for them. Also, there are some on my course who are working and/or have care responsibilities and the way the course is spread out has made doing the degree manageable for them.

If you don't mind working really intensely and having a packed week of learning and doing self-study, then the 2 year course might suit you better but it might be harder to have outside commitments and keep on top of learning and assignments, esp with placements.

Also, with City with the BSc degree, if a person's marks are equivalent to 2:1 or above (I think) by the end of year 2, they can apply to convert their BSc to a Masters if they study for an extra year (4 in total). That is another year and people may not want to be in uni for that long but I'm just letting you know City offers that option.

Sorry my answer is so long! I think what might be important for you is considering what other components are important for you other than enjoying the course, as you will hopefully enjoy learning various aspects of speech, language and communication. I hope that is helpful and congratulations on your offers! Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy the degree as it is both great and challenging :-)

Thank you, that's so helpful. I'm still deciding which to do. But you make lots of good points! Jules
Original post by Jules117
Hi R03alyn

Hi Jules, I am going to be applying to these three courses later in the year. Congrats for receiving offers from all! Where did you end up? I was wondering what the application process was like? What experience did you have beforehand and do you have any general tips?? Would really appreciate any info :smile:xx

Quick Reply

Latest