The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants Nottingham University

This is a general forum for anyone applying for pharmacy at the University of Nottingham for entry in 2021!

Feel free to drop any questions, opinions etc you may have.

Questions you can answer to keep the thread going:
1. What grades did you get at GCSE?
2. What work experience/ volunteering/ extra curricular activities have
you done?
3. What other universities are you thinking of applying to?
4. How do you think coronavirus is going to affect the 2020-2021 year
13 cohort in terms of our UCAS applications?
5. Why do you want to apply for pharmacy?
6. Why Nottingham in particular?

Of course feel free to post anything else you want! This is just a basis.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A*s (2x9 and 2x8) IGCSEs physics, chem, maths, bio
Predicted Cypriot Apolytirion 95/100
AS As physics, chem, maths, bio
A* Greek A level
8 English as first language
Low UCAT
Applying to Nottingham med school deferred entry due to mandatory army and considering Pharmacy at Nottingham as 5th choice.
Any advise?
Original post by Janejaco
A*s (2x9 and 2x8) IGCSEs physics, chem, maths, bio
Predicted Cypriot Apolytirion 95/100
AS As physics, chem, maths, bio
A* Greek A level
8 English as first language
Low UCAT
Applying to Nottingham med school deferred entry due to mandatory army and considering Pharmacy at Nottingham as 5th choice.
Any advise?

I applied for medicine at Nottingham for 2020 entry but unfortunately didn’t get in (I flopped all 4 of my medicine interviews because I let the stress and pressure get to me and I completely froze). Nottingham was the only uni I applied to to give me an alternative choice, so I picked pharmacy, did the interview and got the offer at the end of my interview (my interview was over Skype so it wasn’t MMI but it had the MMI questions, and my interviewer was an admissions tutor so he was able to give me an offer immediately). I’m now a first year here at Nottingham - if you’ve got any specific questions please feel free to ask me and GOOD LUCK :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by chibichibi_xx
I applied for medicine at Nottingham for 2020 entry but unfortunately didn’t get in (I flopped all 4 of my medicine interviews because I let the stress and pressure get to me and I completely froze). Nottingham was the only uni I applied to to give me an alternative choice, so I picked pharmacy, did the interview and got the offer at the end of my interview (my interview was over Skype so it wasn’t MMI but it had the MMI questions, and my interviewer was an admissions tutor so he was able to give me an offer immediately). I’m now a first year here at Nottingham - if you’ve got any specific questions please feel free to ask me and GOOD LUCK :smile:

Thank you. How did you like the uni, city, accom.etc
Original post by Janejaco
Thank you. How did you like the uni, city, accom.etc

The university is BEAUTIFUL - University Park is so lovely, and I'm constantly finding new places on campus. Jubilee is modern in comparison to uni park, and the buildings remind me of Lego (although there are some ugly buildings on both campuses). I haven't really explored the city that much, but it's super lively here. In terms of accommodation, depending on what your personality is like, it may not be for you - I'm naturally quite introverted, and I'm in accommodation that likes to have a lot of parties (despite coronavirus yeh no one seems to care about it here which is really frustrating especially when Nottingham has the highest rate in the country), but I doubt all of them are like that. The staff are also really lovely - I've needed pastoral support here and MY GOD everyone's so friendly. The lecturers answer your emails pretty much straightaway, and my tutor is the sweetest woman I've ever met. At the start of the year when we had live lectures, the lecturers had banter and it was so funny - when I started uni I expected them to be old and grumpy but they have loads of personality (I mean you don't hear it in the pre-recorded lectures though but the live sessions are much better).

what was your offer for pharmacy? my predicted grades are AABB (Maths, Chinese, Biology, Chemistry) means I meet the requirement of AAB but I'm scared that it's competitive. Also do you have any tips on pharmacy personal statement and their interview? I'm an international student so do you know if the chances of an international student getting interviewed is high or low? I'm super nervous bc I'm going to submit my application tmr hehe
Original post by rawToast
what was your offer for pharmacy? my predicted grades are AABB (Maths, Chinese, Biology, Chemistry) means I meet the requirement of AAB but I'm scared that it's competitive. Also do you have any tips on pharmacy personal statement and their interview? I'm an international student so do you know if the chances of an international student getting interviewed is high or low? I'm super nervous bc I'm going to submit my application tmr hehe

My offer for pharmacy was AAB (I got AAA on results day). My personal statement was for medicine but I'd imagine it'd be pretty similar to pharmacy - why pharmacy, work experience, maybe a particular area you're interested in (and talk about further reading and research linked to that), hobbies, etc. I also wrote about my subjects and linking it to why I wanted to do medicine - you could link further reading to this too. The interview is pretty straightforward (it was much easier than my medicine interview) - there were some calculations and chemical equations, and 2-3 scenarios that were read out and you'd have to apply the 9 standards or pick out what was wrong (for application of the 9 standards, not all may apply, but what I did was went through each standard and said how it was shown, and even if one of them wasn't really shown, I said it wasn't shown and I didn't just skip it), as well as the standard why pharmacy, have you seen anything in the news (I'd say try not to say COVID it's not really original anymore - I didn't and my interviewer was surprised that I didn't talk about it because it's quite common - if you find something more obscure then that'll make you stand out, but if you do want to talk about COVID then do it don't let me stop you) and what do you know about pharmacy. There are quite a few internationals on our course, although I'm a home student so I don't really know what the competition is like - you might need to research to find some statistics but if you meet the requirements hopefully they'll give you an interview. Good luck and if you've any specific questions feel free to message me I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability!

what were the questions like/ could you give examples for the pharmacy interview pls. mine is next week
Original post by liyah2426
what were the questions like/ could you give examples for the pharmacy interview pls. mine is next week

The questions were nice and not too hard to answer - from what I can remember they asked me the following (obviously it'll differ year on year):
- why pharmacy
- got asked a bit about what I knew about pharmacy
- the news
- what makes a good pharmacist
- got given a scenario and was asked to spot the mistakes
- got given another scenario and was asked to apply the 9 standards
- the maths and chem (it's basic A-Level chem not difficult at all and the maths isn't hard either as you're not allowed a calculator)
I can't really remember anything else, and also my interview may differ to yours as mine was not in person due to the pandemic. Apparently there's an 'escape room' kind of group task to see how well you can work in a team but I didn't get that. Good luck for your interview!

Oh wow !! Congrats on the interview !! Is it at Nottingham!?

Omg good luck!!!! Mines this Thursday😬I’m sure you’ll smash it
The questions were nice and not too hard to answer - from what I can remember they asked me the following (obviously it'll differ year on year):
- why pharmacy
- got asked a bit about what I knew about pharmacy
- the news
- what makes a good pharmacist
- got given a scenario and was asked to spot the mistakes
- got given another scenario and was asked to apply the 9 standards
- the maths and chem (it's basic A-Level chem not difficult at all and the maths isn't hard either as you're not allowed a calculator)
I can't really remember anything else, and also my interview may differ to yours as mine was not in person due to the pandemic. Apparently there's an 'escape room' kind of group task to see how well you can work in a team but I didn't get that. Good luck for your interview!

Do you remember what you had to know to do with maths questions?
Original post by Studyingnic1
Do you remember what you had to know to do with maths questions?

It was basic chemistry calculations (like GCSE level calculations) - they gave you nice numbers too (as you’re not allowed a calculator).
It was basic chemistry calculations (like GCSE level calculations) - they gave you nice numbers too (as you’re not allowed a calculator).

Ah right thank you that’s very reassuring! Do you think I should revise any conversions?
It was online using mocrosoft teams

Original post by Saims111111
Oh wow !! Congrats on the interview !! Is it at Nottingham!?

It was online using microsoft teams
It was online using microsoft teams

Congrats on the interview! How did you find it?
How long did it take to get a reply back ?? Also good luck to everyone applying this year ☺️
Congrats on the interview! How did you find it?

It was okay tbh not as stressful as it seems
Ah right thank you that’s very reassuring! Do you think I should revise any conversions?

Nah I don't remember revising any conversions and it was just fine.
Hey! I got a reply back within a day after sitting my interview. Hope that helps! Good luck for your application (Original post by hajar16)
How long did it take to get a reply back ?? Also good luck to everyone applying this year ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending