The Student Room Group

Application Surgeries - How do I make my uni choices? Q&A with experts from NTU!

Welcome to our second Application Surgery - a series of live video Q&A's helping you with your decisions about university and application advice.

We're running Q&A's with experts live at 5pm every Thursday in November
- so make sure you keep an eye on the Applications and UCAS forum for more information.

You can see our full program of events here!

On Thursday 12th November at 5pm, we're continuing with our next session:

How do I make my university choices?

We are joined by Victoria Sutton, Schools Liaison Coordinator at Nottingham Trent University to discuss:

How do you start researching universities?
How do I decide on my course? Can I apply for different courses in one application?
How do you know what questions to ask?
What suits you best? Campus/City? Far from home/close to home? Cheap/Expensive living costs?
Considerations and comparison how do you create your shortlist of 5 universities?

Join us for a short presentation introducing how to decide if university is right for you, followed by a Q&A with Victoria who will be answering your questions live. You can start off by posting your questions below now :smile:

Come back here at 5pm on Thursday 12th November to join in!

Having trouble seeing the stream?

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How do I join ?
Original post by Sumilaila
How do I join ?

Hey! So you can ask a question now, and if you come back to this page at 5pm on Thursday the live Q&A will start :biggrin:

You can also watch back the video at anytime!
Reply 3
Is this for yr 13s only ?
Original post by brorbro
Is this for yr 13s only ?

Hey! Nope, if you have a question about anything to do with choosing a university you are more than welcome to ask it! :biggrin:
Reply 5
If a Uni has lower required entry grades, does that make it a worse uni? e.g Uni of Liverpool AAB, Liverpool Hope BBC
I'm really interested in several different unis but some of them are above my predicted grades which are BBB like ABB. Should I apply for them anyway?
Reply 7
I'm really struggling to choose between two unis I like as my firm and insurance choices, i'm scared of making the wrong choice. How can I be more confident in my decision? I like them both equally!
Reply 8
idk where to ask, just a question about choosing courses in general.I am in yr12 and have picked the 3 sciences and psychology as my choices. I am just a bit worried that i have sort of put all my eggs in one basket and am limiting myself and wondering if i will HAVE to do something sciency or psychology-related. Or is it that most courses at uni do not require specific subjects, and my options are still wide open? thanks
Original post by yessir45
I'm really struggling to choose between two unis I like as my firm and insurance choices, i'm scared of making the wrong choice. How can I be more confident in my decision? I like them both equally!

It’s WAY too early to be picking a firm and insurance choice. Especially if you’re unsure!

UCAS give you until May for a reason. Lots of universities will have visit days (virtual or in person) before May to help you decide.

You shouldn’t be putting a firm choice on Track until April at the earliest. There’s no benefit to firming early you just lost the option to change your mind!
I’m torn between two universities for my master’s, one of them is slightly bigger than the other (as in more students) and the other one has the course that I want. any advice for me? should I go with a bigger uni or the course that ive had my eyes on?
Original post by hellothere08
I’m torn between two universities for my master’s, one of them is slightly bigger than the other (as in more students) and the other one has the course that I want. any advice for me? should I go with a bigger uni or the course that ive had my eyes on?

Masters courses are so short that the priority always needs to be the course/place where you'll settle in and do your best work in the shortest time. Marks that will count towards your final degree award will be assessed very soon after starting the course so a course where you'll hit the ground running and be motivated to put in the extra effort to excel is more important than your social life in most cases. Obviously don't choose somewhere that you'll be miserable but bigger doesn't automatically mean better/more sociable anyway
If I get an offer for my first choice university, do I have to accept it or can I choose on of my other choices instead?
Hi can I get into a physician associate degree(masters) straight after doing a children’s nursing degree?
Original post by HeyItsLiz
If I get an offer for my first choice university, do I have to accept it or can I choose on of my other choices instead?

All 5 university choices are equal.
None of them are preferenced until you select a firm & insurance choice uni, which you dont really need to finalise your opinion on until after you get all your offers you dont need to decide this till March, April, May.

Once you firm a uni you are locked onto this uni until they accept or reject you on results day.
(now later down the road if you really dont want to go to your firm choice in July or August their are things that can be done at the firm choice unis discretion).
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey guys,

Our live stream Q&A 'How do I make my uni choices?' is live now! We'll be watching this thread throughout, so please do post your questions here and we'll ask our experts live!

If you're having any problems seeing the video...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks for watching everyone! Don't worry if you missed the live event. The video will remain in this thread and on youtube to watch back whenever you like!
Do general rankings matter? I mean rankings that aren’t for a specific subject
Original post by AbdouH_
Do general rankings matter? I mean rankings that aren’t for a specific subject

Do they matter to who?
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Welcome to our second Application Surgery - a series of live video Q&A's helping you with your decisions about university and application advice.

We're running Q&A's with experts live at 5pm every Thursday in November
- so make sure you keep an eye on the Applications and UCAS forum for more information.

You can see our full program of events here!

On Thursday 12th November at 5pm, we're continuing with our next session:

How do I make my university choices?

We are joined by Victoria Sutton, Schools Liaison Coordinator at Nottingham Trent University to discuss:

How do you start researching universities?
How do I decide on my course? Can I apply for different courses in one application?
How do you know what questions to ask?
What suits you best? Campus/City? Far from home/close to home? Cheap/Expensive living costs?
Considerations and comparison how do you create your shortlist of 5 universities?

Join us for a short presentation introducing how to decide if university is right for you, followed by a Q&A with Victoria who will be answering your questions live. You can start off by posting your questions below now :smile:

Come back here at 5pm on Thursday 12th November to join in!

Having trouble seeing the stream?

Spoiler

Great thread, thanks for setting it up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending