The Student Room Group

Becoming a pilot

I am 14 and my dream is to become is to become a commercial pilot. I am not very good at math nor physics and am certainly not able to do maths a level. Can I still become a pilot? And if I pass will I even stand a chance at being hired for an airline.

Scroll to see replies

You need go GCSE'S. You are in Year 10 or 9, and just start putting effort now. Instead of maybe doing English, do more maths. Then when it comes to A levels, worry about A levels. You need the GCSE's at the moment.

If you do not get that good, then you will not be hired most likely. I am sure you can do it though!
Reply 2
Original post by deadroseex
You need go GCSE'S. You are in Year 10 or 9, and just start putting effort now. Instead of maybe doing English, do more maths. Then when it comes to A levels, worry about A levels. You need the GCSE's at the moment.

If you do not get that good, then you will not be hired most likely. I am sure you can do it though!

So if I don't do a level math or physics, can I still be a pilot?

Thank you so much for believing in me 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by Ali44386r

It's possible, but it might not put you in the best place for competition.

My cousin is in the Air force. I think it was a requirement to do at least math and physics. This was 2011 so I do not know for sure. I think you need to have both.

And off course, you can do whatever if you believe in yourself and put the effort in.
Reply 5
My cousin is in the Air force. I think it was a requirement to do at least math and physics. This was 2011 so I do not know for sure. I think you need to have both.

And off course, you can do whatever if you believe in yourself and put the effort in.

It's not that I don't want to do these courses, it's the fact that I am not academic enough. Also, is a degree required? But yeah, that's my main concern.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
It's possible, but it might not put you in the best place for competition.

So are these a levels a must do then.
Reply 7
So are these a levels a must do then.

Very few places set requirements for what qualifications you must have to be a pilot. All you really need is money to afford all the training. And a lot of money is needed.

But, in order to get through all that training, some level of maths proficiency is very useful.

If you're then in competition for a place on the training, the more you can demonstrate that you'll be able to pass it, the better.
Reply 8
Do not do this.

It's the worst possible way in, won't guarantee you any ability to fly commercially, is extremely restrictive and competitive to get in, and will mandate you to many years service in an environment that's very far removed from civilian flying.

If you want to fly commercially, then fly commercially. The RAF is not an easy way in.
It's not that I don't want to do these courses, it's the fact that I am not academic enough. Also, is a degree required? But yeah, that's my main concern.

No idea about degrees, I am in Year 10 myself however, you can become academic enough, you have a few years and you can really do it if you are dead set on being a pilot.
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
Very few places set requirements for what qualifications you must have to be a pilot. All you really need is money to afford all the training. And a lot of money is needed.

But, in order to get through all that training, some level of maths proficiency is very useful.

If you're then in competition for a place on the training, the more you can demonstrate that you'll be able to pass it, the better.

Original post by Drewski
Do not do this.

It's the worst possible way in, won't guarantee you any ability to fly commercially, is extremely restrictive and competitive to get in, and will mandate you to many years service in an environment that's very far removed from civilian flying.

If you want to fly commercially, then fly commercially. The RAF is not an easy way in.

Thanks for the advice, but I agree with drewski. I don't have any interest in joining the RAF, although I considered.
It is not free. You are signing up to 12 years of service, after which you may not have any experience that directly correlates to commercial flying.

And yes, it is extremely competitive. Tens of thousands of people apply every year, only a handful get in.

The minimum requirements are 2x Cs, yes, but if someone isn't strong at maths then they won't get through the aptitude tests.

The RAF is the worst route for someone only interested in a civil career.

The only requirement is at GCSE.
Reply 12
Wow, are you sure people with bcc got in? I might consider but it is tough to get into.
Wow, are you sure people with bcc got in? I might consider but it is tough to get into.

If your mental arithmetic is poor you won't get past the aptitude tests.
Reply 14
No idea about degrees, I am in Year 10 myself however, you can become academic enough, you have a few years and you can really do it if you are dead set on being a pilot.

Thanks so much.
Reply 15
Original post by Drewski
If your mental arithmetic is poor you won't get past the aptitude tests.

Yeah, also would taking a Btec in aeronautical engineering help instead of a levels or is this a bad idea?
Yeah, also would taking a Btec in aeronautical engineering help instead of a levels or is this a bad idea?

To what end?
Reply 17
Original post by Drewski
To what end?

A level 3 Btec. If that's what you mean?
A level 3 Btec. If that's what you mean?

No, I mean, why would you be doing it?
Reply 19
Original post by Drewski
No, I mean, why would you be doing it?

Well if I did aeronautical engineering, would it help give me a more direct knowledge into the technical side of aviation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending