The Student Room Group

Personal statement-Teaching

Hi I’m really struggling with my personal statement. I want to become a primary school teacher one day. I want to apply for a degree in primary education, and also a degree in history (I also really like history and I feel if I have a degree in this I can also go into teaching). I’m struggling how to do my personal statement and my tutor has told me I can’t include history and education, I can only talk about one course. Is that true? Because if it is then won’t I automatically be rejected for history
Original post by YellowTomatoes
Hi I’m really struggling with my personal statement. I want to become a primary school teacher one day. I want to apply for a degree in primary education, and also a degree in history (I also really like history and I feel if I have a degree in this I can also go into teaching). I’m struggling how to do my personal statement and my tutor has told me I can’t include history and education, I can only talk about one course. Is that true? Because if it is then won’t I automatically be rejected for history

I would suggest doing the course you feel you will enjoy because history and primary education are two very different courses. :sadnod:
Tbh you can go into teaching with any degree, as long as you do a PGCE (teacher training) afterwards. But it's up to you what you want to do.

Have you started your personal statement yet? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Aminah T
I would suggest doing the course you feel you will enjoy because history and primary education are two very different courses. :sadnod:
Tbh you can go into teaching with any degree, as long as you do a PGCE (teacher training) afterwards.

Have you started your personal statement yet?

I have started but I’m really unsure whether to include history or not - thank you for your response
I would study history. Honestly these days you can be a teacher with any degree or qualification. Do what you love. History and primary education are not mutually exclusive they can go hand in hand.

A bit of advice- regarding your personal statement focus on skills learned etc. Concentrate on soft skills like teamwork and so on.
Original post by YellowTomatoes

Hey @YellowTomatoes :smile: Not sure if this is any help with your dilemma- but have you looked to see if there are any courses available where you can study both? At Strathclyde we offer a joint honours degree in History and Education. After you completed that degree you could go on to do a PGCE, as someone suggested above, to get your Primary teaching qualification. You'd have all the core content of History that you love, alongside Education modules that will support your PGCE learning nicely. Maybe have a look and see if this is an option at the unis you're considering too?

For the Personal Statement, it's certainly easier to write one when all of your subject choices are the same - especially when it comes to teaching statements as they're more vocational. The only way I could see you potentially mentioning both is to lead with one or the other and mention your other one as an 'interest' in a way? I think particularly you could get away with this if you write your statement for teaching, as you can mention having a passion for History and talk about this as something that peaks your interest outwith your core studies. For the most part of those statements, as @tinygirl96 suggested- you'll be focusing on including examples of teamworking, communication and people skills.

Let me know if you think I can help with any of this at all! It's a wee bit of a tricky one but happy to help :^_^: If you want to chat about how our History & Education course works I can help with that too, just drop me a PM.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending