The Student Room Group

When do you get to choose what subjects you do in Scotland?

When and how many on Average?
so for me I picked my National 5s (GCSEs equivalents sorta) at the end of S2 so y9 ish -> N5 is a 2 year course from S3 to S4 = they can range from 9 subjects or 6 subjects [that was at Hutchesons Private Grammar School] and 8 subjects would be average amount

Highers were picked at the end of S4 so y11 for S5/y12 and that is a 1 year course (some people can apply to uni and revive conditional offers of 5As being the highest offer depending on subject and uni) - average most people do is 5 higher subjects

S6/y13 so this is the time where basically everyone in Scotland applies to uni and offers are mostly unconditional unless you are applying to Oxbridge basically RUK, medicine/dentistry/vet med or resitting your highers, this year is when you get free periods to study/sleep/volunteer/driving lessons/teach/do homework etc. S6 is the year where advanced highers are completed if not resitting or crashing (i.e subject you didn't do at higher or nat5 but now want to do it cause interested or uni requirements) any subjects at higher level; rarely do people crash nat5s in S6 - most AH taken in my school was 4, lowest was 1, average was 2/3 AHs
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by stereotypeasian
so for me I picked my National 5s (GCSEs equivalents sorta) at the end of S2 so y9 ish -> N5 is a 2 year course from S3 to S4 = they can range from 9 subjects or 6 subjects [that was at Hutchesons Private Grammar School] and 8 subjects would be average amount

Highers were picked at the end of S4 so y11 for S5/y12 and that is a 1 year course (some people can apply to uni and revive conditional offers of 5As being the highest offer depending on subject and uni) - average most people do is 5 higher subjects

S6/y13 so this is the time where basically everyone in Scotland applies to uni and offers are mostly unconditional unless you are applying to Oxbridge, medicine/dentistry/vet med or resitting your highers, this year is when you get free periods to study/sleep/volunteer/driving lessons/teach/do homework etc. S6 is the year where advanced highers are completed if not resitting or crashing (i.e subject you didn't do at higher or nat5 but now want to do it cause interested or uni requirements) any subjects at higher level; rarely do people crash nat5s in S6 - most AH taken in my school was 4, lowest was 1, average was 2/3 AHs

Oh okay thanks,that’s interesting! (:
Original post by Summerneive
Oh okay thanks,that’s interesting! (:

: )
I feel like I just waffled - you're welcome
Reply 4
Original post by stereotypeasian
: )
I feel like I just waffled - you're welcome

I was going to respond but you covered enough I don't need to bother.

Quick Reply

Latest