The Student Room Group

hate geography

took it as a GCSE and it's rly boring, it's just about water wtf.... can someone pls help me?? does it get better?? it's wjec btw. I wanted stuff like last year (like human geography with ethics and stuff). I'm in y10 now btw. and it's wayy too late to change BC someone else tried to from another subject and weren't allowed at all, a strict no.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm doing AQA and sort of have it the other way around - I love physical and don't really like human! The GCSE is a 50/50 split so you're bound to study something you enjoy eventually. At the moment we're looking at economics, TNCs, immigration, etc and then we're moving on to resource management - might that be more up your street? Either way, geography is a good GCSE to have and as long as you revise the content the exams are fairly straight forward (for AQA at least!) so hopefully that's enough to keep you going through the physical ahhaha!
Reply 2
Original post by apolaroidofus
I'm doing AQA and sort of have it the other way around - I love physical and don't really like human! The GCSE is a 50/50 split so you're bound to study something you enjoy eventually. At the moment we're looking at economics, TNCs, immigration, etc and then we're moving on to resource management - might that be more up your street? Either way, geography is a good GCSE to have and as long as you revise the content the exams are fairly straight forward (for AQA at least!) so hopefully that's enough to keep you going through the physical ahhaha!

ahh yes that sounds so fun🥺love economics and immigration, rly interesting. what's tncs btw? and I'm getting Cs rn btw, my target is C/B I got like As and A stars last year in y9 but lockdown made me miss a lot so I've kinda dropped since starting y10, do u think that I can get higher than a B in my actual GCSEs in y11? like get back to As and A*s?
Original post by csmh1912
ahh yes that sounds so fun🥺love economics and immigration, rly interesting. what's tncs btw? and I'm getting Cs rn btw, my target is C/B I got like As and A stars last year in y9 but lockdown made me miss a lot so I've kinda dropped since starting y10, do u think that I can get higher than a B in my actual GCSEs in y11? like get back to As and A*s?

A TNC is a trans national corporation. We're learning specifically about Nike and how they exploit LICs for cheap labour but how some view their involvement as a good thing because of the benefits that they bring to the area economically, which in turn has positive impacts on society and the environment! And yes totally - my sister was getting a 6 in her final year 11 Spanish mocks and ended up with a 9 in the real thing! With geography I just suggest learning the content as you go (at this point most of the physical theory is engrained in me!!) so that your main worry later on is remembering facts from the case studies - as far as I'm concerned this is something not worth committing to your long term memory ahahha. There isn't a lot of content, especially not if you compare it to science, but it's quite good if you can just pick up some extra bits of information as you go - a good example of this is coming up with a named example for every landform you learn. Stacks? The Needles, Isle of Wight. Waterfall? High Force, River Tees. Spit? Hurst Spit, Hampshire. This really impresses the examiner and makes you look like you know what you're talking about. I'd also recommend 'learning to think like a geographer' - be critical about everything you hear, and always try to read between the lines (keeping up with the news is a good way to do this). A good rule of thumb is to link things back to social, economic and environmental (and sometimes political) factors. This is the sort of logic that will boost you up on the 6 and 9 markers. Hope this helps! :smile:

Soooo true. We started doing human this year and I basically lost interest whereas I sort of found Physical more interesting and a bit easier
Reply 5
A TNC is a trans national corporation. We're learning specifically about Nike and how they exploit LICs for cheap labour but how some view their involvement as a good thing because of the benefits that they bring to the area economically, which in turn has positive impacts on society and the environment! And yes totally - my sister was getting a 6 in her final year 11 Spanish mocks and ended up with a 9 in the real thing! With geography I just suggest learning the content as you go (at this point most of the physical theory is engrained in me!!) so that your main worry later on is remembering facts from the case studies - as far as I'm concerned this is something not worth committing to your long term memory ahahha. There isn't a lot of content, especially not if you compare it to science, but it's quite good if you can just pick up some extra bits of information as you go - a good example of this is coming up with a named example for every landform you learn. Stacks? The Needles, Isle of Wight. Waterfall? High Force, River Tees. Spit? Hurst Spit, Hampshire. This really impresses the examiner and makes you look like you know what you're talking about. I'd also recommend 'learning to think like a geographer' - be critical about everything you hear, and always try to read between the lines (keeping up with the news is a good way to do this). A good rule of thumb is to link things back to social, economic and environmental (and sometimes political) factors. This is the sort of logic that will boost you up on the 6 and 9 markers. Hope this helps! :smile:

ohh I've done TNC in another subject. I understand now!! and tysm!! I'll do that. ohh yeah!! pestle. tysmm!!! really helpful:smile:
Original post by uziahmed
Soooo true. We started doing human this year and I basically lost interest whereas I sort of found Physical more interesting and a bit easier

Yeah, I loved physical, so sad we're done with it now! Was considering A-level geography until I decided I wasn't willing to put myself through 2 more years of human geography...
Reply 7
I did WJEC GCSE Geography last year. I found most of it extremely boring.
The first unit is pretty much just looking at coasts and rivers, but I actually enjoyed Unit 2! I think it differs based on your school, but we studied different ecosystems, the weather, and the Amazon Rainforest. I was actually disappointed that we weren’t able to finish the course due to COVID.
Reply 8
Original post by revert2
I did WJEC GCSE Geography last year. I found most of it extremely boring.
The first unit is pretty much just looking at coasts and rivers, but I actually enjoyed Unit 2! I think it differs based on your school, but we studied different ecosystems, the weather, and the Amazon Rainforest. I was actually disappointed that we weren’t able to finish the course due to COVID.

ah we are doing that rn. I hope it gets better lol. I love human geo. physical is pretty shite tbh
Yeah, I loved physical, so sad we're done with it now! Was considering A-level geography until I decided I wasn't willing to put myself through 2 more years of human geography...

Factsss

Quick Reply

Latest