The Student Room Group

Geography Gcse Changing Places essay

Changing place essay plan
(edited 3 years ago)
Introduction:
- define key terms: for example, you could define place, sense of place, scientific analysis, qualitative data, quant data
- Introduce the case study you will use
Paragraph 1:
- Argue that quantitative data (used for scientific analysis) does not allow us to see the hopes, frustrations, and confusions in lived experience
- Give a piece of quantitative data from your case study, for example, 10 shops on Town X's highstreet have closed down in the last 3 years
- Having this quantitative/scientific data doesnt tell us about lived experience- for example, doesnt tell us the process of the shops shutting down- were shop keepers confused or frustrated by their shops having to shut? How did they feel about their shops having to shut down?
Paragraph 2:
- Argue that qualitative data (that is not generally used in scientific analysis) is much more useful for looking at hopes, frustrations, and confusions of lived experience
- Give a piece of qualitative data from your case study, for example, in an interview a shop keeper from Town X said 'The sudden hit of coronavirus meant I had to shut my shop with only one week's noticed. It had a huge impact on my mental health and my family's wellbeing, as we lost a lot of income'
- Show how this qualitative data gives a much more detailed account of lived experience and the difficulties of living in Town X, compared to the quantitative scientific data which doesnt do this.
Conclusion:
- A couple sentences to summarise your overall argument
Reply 2
Original post by hannah333davis
Introduction:
- define key terms: for example, you could define place, sense of place, scientific analysis, qualitative data, quant data
- Introduce the case study you will use
Paragraph 1:
- Argue that quantitative data (used for scientific analysis) does not allow us to see the hopes, frustrations, and confusions in lived experience
- Give a piece of quantitative data from your case study, for example, 10 shops on Town X's highstreet have closed down in the last 3 years
- Having this quantitative/scientific data doesnt tell us about lived experience- for example, doesnt tell us the process of the shops shutting down- were shop keepers confused or frustrated by their shops having to shut? How did they feel about their shops having to shut down?
Paragraph 2:
- Argue that qualitative data (that is not generally used in scientific analysis) is much more useful for looking at hopes, frustrations, and confusions of lived experience
- Give a piece of qualitative data from your case study, for example, in an interview a shop keeper from Town X said 'The sudden hit of coronavirus meant I had to shut my shop with only one week's noticed. It had a huge impact on my mental health and my family's wellbeing, as we lost a lot of income'
- Show how this qualitative data gives a much more detailed account of lived experience and the difficulties of living in Town X, compared to the quantitative scientific data which doesnt do this.
Conclusion:
- A couple sentences to summarise your overall argument

Thank you so much 👍🏽
Original post by RayyanT
Thank you so much 👍🏽

No problem, hopefully gives you a better idea. Feel free to message me if you need help- I got an A* at A-level and I'm now in my third year of a human geography degree

Quick Reply

Latest