The Student Room Group

Ethics help!

Please answer these questions in short paragraphs.
1) Explain two ways beliefs about the afterlife influences Christians today
2) Explain two contrasting beliefs on salvation. Refer to sacred writings or another source of Christian belief
and teaching in your answer.
3) ‘A loving God would not let people suffer in hell’ Evaluate this statement
In your answer you should:
Refer to Christian teaching
Give reasoned arguments to support this statement
Give reasoned arguments to support a different point of view
Reach a justified conclusion.
I think it's most useful if you get advice on how to answer them, rather than just answers haha.

I have ideas about how I'd approach these but I think it's best to just ask you what you're struggling with so I don't waste either of our time. Which parts specifically do you need help with? Struggling for ideas or style?
Reply 2
Original post by ashtolga23
I think it's most useful if you get advice on how to answer them, rather than just answers haha.

I have ideas about how I'd approach these but I think it's best to just ask you what you're struggling with so I don't waste either of our time. Which parts specifically do you need help with? Struggling for ideas or style?

To be honest, I actually meant more the information than the actual answers.
If I have some of the information I could write the answers myself.
I kind of struggle for what to write, because I don't know the information.
For this, it is some homework set from school, but because I have been working from home I haven't done the lessons that give information about this.
And I'm terrible at explaining things simply. Sorry.
Original post by DillonB07
For this, it is some homework set from school, but because I have been working from home I haven't done the lessons that give information about this.

I would suggest that you return to the basics of reading your textbook and any notes you’ve been given for the class or do some research on the topic.
Reply 4
Original post by GabiAbi84
I would suggest that you return to the basics of reading your textbook and any notes you’ve been given for the class or do some research on the topic.

I haven't got a textbook or any notes from the class. Also, my research is terrible. I normally spend 5 hours researching and get no information.(No exaggeration here)
Reply 5
I haven't got a textbook or any notes from the class. Also, my research is terrible. I normally spend 5 hours researching and get no information.(No exaggeration here)

You need to refine your searches then because 5 hours should be enough to make good progress. Start by reading on a topic and then looking up more specific ideas that you find out about.
Reply 6
Original post by Bio 7
You need to refine your searches then because 5 hours should be enough to make good progress. Start by reading on a topic and then looking up more specific ideas that you find out about.

Can you give an example of a refines search then? It doesn't need to be about this topic.
Reply 7
Can you give an example of a refines search then? It doesn't need to be about this topic.

I would search up information about the afterlife in the relevant religion and find out opinions that people have on it. This is about people's own interpretation so I would look at personal opinions from people you know and online to see what they say about it.

I'm not entirely sure how to help you refine your searches because I don't know how you usually search for information. You need to look for relevant words to narrow down your information, obviously typing in "afterlife" will be useless but "christian afterlife" would narrow it down.

You're not at all, don't worry.

I'm pretty sure the questions you've given are actually those from my GCSE mock. I got a 9 in it but it's been a while and I'm now full of A-Level RS content lol.

The first one is fairly straightforward so you really just need to have some confidence in your common sense. If you believe in the afterlife, you're going to want to be rewarded in the next life. I think I outlined two ways you could obey God and be a good Christian (eg. through reading scripture and through showing agape in everyday life), so just take ideas like that and expand on them. You could alternatively delve into ideas of punishment and reward, but it may be harder to get enough out of those in my opinion.

Salvation is all about fixing a relationship with god and gaining atonement. Look into these ideas. You could mention Adam and Eve for scripture as some people believe we are all born with original sin. I believe you could even write about an atheist view as an alternate belief, but you could also just mention liberal Christians who don't believe God would create us imperfect and who think the creation story is just symbolic.

As for the last one, that's a little more complicated and should have your own view threaded through, which I unfortunately am not aware of.
Hello

You need to read the whole entire chapter on ethics carefully. If you have any notes use them as well. Afterlife is what many but not all Christian people tend to believe in. That is important to remember. Theories vary and you are better off researching it online for more information.

Salvation is defined as saving your relationship with our Creator. Liberal forward thinking Christians like myself do not subscribe to this kind of thinking. Rather we have a strict sense of ethics and morality however that is enough. There is lots of good quality information on sites like Wikipedia for example. Make sure to condense and summarise the information in your own words as far as possible. Read beyond the lines of the information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending