The Student Room Group

English and English/Drama 2021 offers

Hi All
My dd has submitted her UCAS to 5 Uni’s but is yet to hear back From any!
She has applied for a joint in English/drama. There don’t seem to have been many English offers.. and no offers of interview from uni’s for drama/theatre, as yet. Please share where you have applied, grades, any offers or interview status, thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amp242
Hi All
She has applied for a joint in English/drama. There don’t seem to have been many English offers.. and no offers of interview from uni’s for drama/theatre, as yet. Please share where you have applied, grades, any offers or interview status, thanks

I'm not sure how relevant mine would be, as I've only applied for pure English, but I'm predicted A* A* A and A in epq, and I've applied to Cambridge, Durham, York, Exeter (and Birmingham but only added that a few days ago) with offers from York and Exeter so far.
Reply 2
Original post by nogoodusersleft
I'm not sure how relevant mine would be, as I've only applied for pure English, but I'm predicted A* A* A and A in epq, and I've applied to Cambridge, Durham, York, Exeter (and Birmingham but only added that a few days ago) with offers from York and Exeter so far.

Congratulations! Yes.. interested to hear about all English offers.. as don’t seem to have seen many! In fact, this is the first Exeter one I’ve heard
Original post by Amp242
Congratulations! Yes.. interested to hear about all English offers.. as don’t seem to have seen many! In fact, this is the first Exeter one I’ve heard

Thank you! I applied the 15th of October and only heard back last week, so maybe they're taking longer with English? They seem to be quite fast otherwise. Someone else got an offer for English with music at Exeter a week or two before me, so I think it depends when the application was sent - I imagine the unis get a huge rush of them around the 15th.
Reply 4
Hi there my DD has applied for the same course. She has had an offer from Exeter. No interview. Maybe its too difficult to arrange in these times. She is waiting to hear from Manchester and Warwick. On hold for Bristol. Where has your dd applied?
Original post by Amp242
Hi All
Reply 5
Original post by Tel456
Hi there my DD has applied for the same course. She has had an offer from Exeter. No interview. Maybe its too difficult to arrange in these times. She is waiting to hear from Manchester and Warwick. On hold for Bristol. Where has your dd applied?

Thanks for your reply! Finally found someone else applying for same course!! Dd has applied to Exeter, Warwick, Lancaster, Birmingham and Sussex. Is Exeter standard offer... and how long after applying did she hear? Dd applied a couple of weeks ago and had no replies 🙈 predicted A in English, and DD* in acting, C in History and A in EPQ,
Reply 6
Original post by Amp242
Thanks for your reply! Finally found someone else applying for same course!! Dd has applied to Exeter, Warwick, Lancaster, Birmingham and Sussex. Is Exeter standard offer... and how long after applying did she hear? Dd applied a couple of weeks ago and had no replies 🙈 predicted A in English, and DD* in acting, C in History and A in EPQ,

yes nice to find someone doing the same course too! She applied weeks ago. Only just heard from Exeter today AAA or ABB if she firms it and gets an A in EPQ. She was put on hold for Bristol fairly instantly. It’s been hard for her as lots of people have had offers at her school. She is predicted AAA. She’s really happy about Exeter. Also its hard to find out how many places are actually available for some of these joint honours courses.
Reply 7
Original post by Tel456
yes nice to find someone doing the same course too! She applied weeks ago. Only just heard from Exeter today AAA or ABB if she firms it and gets an A in EPQ. She was put on hold for Bristol fairly instantly. It’s been hard for her as lots of people have had offers at her school. She is predicted AAA. She’s really happy about Exeter. Also its hard to find out how many places are actually available for some of these joint honours courses.

Sorry should have said lots of people at her school have had offers but not for English and drama!
Reply 8
Original post by Tel456

Hopefully my dd will hear soon 🙏 Exeter has always been her favourite... although never having viewed any it’s very difficult! I will let you know if/when we hear ... she is constantly checking for e-mails/ucas ! Yes... as they would usually interview/audition I did tell her some offers may not come until next year as they may hold off to see if audition days will be possible. Thank you so much for replying x
Reply 9
Original post by Amp242
Hopefully my dd will hear soon 🙏 Exeter has always been her favourite... although never having viewed any it’s very difficult! I will let you know if/when we hear ... she is constantly checking for e-mails/ucas ! Yes... as they would usually interview/audition I did tell her some offers may not come until next year as they may hold off to see if audition days will be possible. Thank you so much for replying x

Good luck to her! So stressful for them. Let me know how she gets on x
I’ve applied for English at Kings, UCL, Newcastle (AAB) and QMUL (ABB). Desperate for reply off Kings and UCL as they’re my joint top choice. :smile:
Reply 11
I found a piece on Exeter website that says all 2021 entries will not be invited to interviews... where necessary they will zoom call otherwise they will just offer/decline
Reply 12
Original post by Amp242
I found a piece on Exeter website that says all 2021 entries will not be invited to interviews... where necessary they will zoom call otherwise they will just offer/decline

I think all the unis will probably do that. My dd got a Bristol offer AAA😱 any news for your dd?
Hi All - just read this thread and wanted to thank you for your patience and understanding. Things are a bit delayed this year owing to the delays and changes that happened in August/September with regards to the Alevel/Btech results. That has set us a couple of weeks behind in the normal Admissions process. But don't worry we are still well within the equal consideration deadline for applications - this means that all applications received before 15th Jan 2021 have to be considered on equal merit.
We appreciate that this has been a difficult process for many students so far and so, if we do extend your students an offer, they will receive an invitation in January outlining lots of activities and (fingers crossed) an opportunity to come to visit the us during the Easter holidays. We hope that this will help them get a feel for the University and their courses and help them make the final decision.
Thank you again for your patience and maybe see some of you early next year!
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitment Manager
Reply 14
Good news received this morning!! DD has her 1st offer in for Theatre & English Lit from Lancaster!!! She is very pleased as you can imagine!!
Reading the above post it sounds like Exeter going to make us wait until the new year 🤦*♀️ Wonder why it’s just this course they are making wait... as other departments have made lots of offers already 🤔
Reply 15
Original post by Tel456
I think all the unis will probably do that. My dd got a Bristol offer AAA😱 any news for your dd?

Congratulations 👏🏻 just posted... offer this morning from Lancaster (A Distinction/Distinction or A Dis/Merit if gets a B in EPQ) she is very happy!
Reply 16
Original post by Amp242
Good news received this morning!! DD has her 1st offer in for Theatre & English Lit from Lancaster!!! She is very pleased as you can imagine!!
Reading the above post it sounds like Exeter going to make us wait until the new year 🤦*♀️ Wonder why it’s just this course they are making wait... as other departments have made lots of offers already 🤔

That’s great news! Well done. That’s a great course. My dd thought about that one too.
Reply 17
Original post by Tel456
That’s great news! Well done. That’s a great course. My dd thought about that one too.

The relief of actually getting an offer 😂😂
Original post by Amp242

Hi - sorry if my previous post misled you - the reference to January only concerned the offer-holder activities we have planned for all subjects and not the offer-making process itself. The Exeter Admissions team are working their way through applications and are releasing offers continually.
In answer to your question as to why offers may take longer. Joint honours degrees are more complicated than single honours in that they often bridge two departments. Admissions have to balance the number of offers made for that course with the historic data of numbers arriving after exams and not over recruit and cause issues to either English or Drama departments. It is often the case therefore, that these offers take slightly longer to process. Please also bear in mind that universities have different systems and vary in the way they process applications so a quick response by one is not an indication of a negative response by another.
I understand that the process can feel very stressful (have a daughter in her second year and a son in his first) but we can make offers until next March - my daughter's favourite choice did not make her an offer until the February. If you haven't heard, it means that the application is still under consideration.
Good luck.
Reply 19
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Hi - sorry if my previous post misled you - the reference to January only concerned the offer-holder activities we have planned for all subjects and not the offer-making process itself. The Exeter Admissions team are working their way through applications and are releasing offers continually.
In answer to your question as to why offers may take longer. Joint honours degrees are more complicated than single honours in that they often bridge two departments. Admissions have to balance the number of offers made for that course with the historic data of numbers arriving after exams and not over recruit and cause issues to either English or Drama departments. It is often the case therefore, that these offers take slightly longer to process. Please also bear in mind that universities have different systems and vary in the way they process applications so a quick response by one is not an indication of a negative response by another.
I understand that the process can feel very stressful (have a daughter in her second year and a son in his first) but we can make offers until next March - my daughter's favourite choice did not make her an offer until the February. If you haven't heard, it means that the application is still under consideration.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for your response, very helpful info that I will pass on to my dd. It makes sense that joint honours take longer due to the 2 departments . Fingers crossed 🤞 it’s been a tough year for all.. and dd was so upset when our trip to Exeter had to be cancelled back in the spring. Thanks again,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending