The Student Room Group

Ancient History, Classics, and Archaeology Applicants 2021

Are you applying to study Ancient History, Classics or Archaeology at University in 2021?
Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:

Copy and paste, and fill the following in below....

Undergraduate

Course(s):
GCSE grades:
AS grades
Entry requirements:
Predictions:
Choices:
Other:

Postgraduate

Course(s):
Previous course:
Choices:
Predicted/received degree mark:
Other:

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I’ve put my UCAS application in to my school- now waiting for them to send the reference to the unis!
Classical Civilisation: Leeds
Classical Civilisation: Warwick
Classical Studies: Manchester
Plus I forgot to add Reading: Classical Studies to my application but I’m going to add it as an extra choice after it is sent to the universities.
Woo fellow classicists!
Applying to: Oxford (Univ) Classics II, KCL Classical Studies, Leeds Classical Civilisation, Manchester Classical Studies and Liverpool with Archaeology with Ancient Civilisations. Probably in that preferential order. 2/5 offers
Original post by LegoSlayer
I’ve put my UCAS application in to my school- now waiting for them to send the reference to the unis!
Classical Civilisation: Leeds
Classical Civilisation: Warwick
Classical Studies: Manchester
Plus I forgot to add Reading: Classical Studies to my application but I’m going to add it as an extra choice after it is sent to the universities.

I'm applying for Leeds and Manchester aswell! What you thinking of firming and insuring once the offers come in? why not 5 choices btw?
Original post by laurenbalmerrrr
I'm applying for Leeds and Manchester aswell! What you thinking of firming and insuring once the offers come in? why not 5 choices btw?

I actually changed my mind and added Reading and Nottingham so I do have 5 choices! I’ve got offers from Leeds and Reading and I’m thinking of Leeds as firm and Reading as insurance but I’m not sure yet; you?
Original post by LegoSlayer
I actually changed my mind and added Reading and Nottingham so I do have 5 choices! I’ve got offers from Leeds and Reading and I’m thinking of Leeds as firm and Reading as insurance but I’m not sure yet; you?

Ah Reading is a good one!! I applied there last year (reapplying this year) and a professor of classics sent me a letter which none of the other unis did so I love them ahaha, they usually offer a grade lower aswell if firmed
And same I've got my offer from Leeds, they were really quick which the others are not, annoyingly
Thinking of firming KCL ( not getting hopes up on Oxford and I prefer KCL anyway) and insuring Leeds or Manchester as both have a similar feel, but same I'm unsure currently and we do have a ages to decide anyway lol
Reply 6
Manchester- Classical studies
Leeds- Classical civilisation
Durham- Classical civilisation
St. Andrews- Classical Studies
I got offers from Manchester, Leeds and Durham and I'll probably firm Durham and insure Manchester, I also applied to Oxford but I missed the written work hand in
Reply 7
Original post by Rosie0S
Manchester- Classical studies
Leeds- Classical civilisation
Durham- Classical civilisation
St. Andrews- Classical Studies
I got offers from Manchester, Leeds and Durham and I'll probably firm Durham and insure Manchester, I also applied to Oxford but I missed the written work hand in

Can you not still email them it now and just come up with an explanation?
Reply 8
Original post by kat273xx
Can you not still email them it now and just come up with an explanation?

Honestly, I would but I haven't had the motivation to do them so
Course(s): Ancient History, AH and Social Anthropology and Classical Studies at different Unis

GCSE grades: 987776665 (missed 6 months of Y9 and quite a lot of Y10 as well as being ill during exams)

AS grades: Didn't do AS levels BUT already have A level results due to gap year. A* Classical Civilisation A* Politics and D2 Cambridge Pre-U History. Worried Unis will look down upon last year's grades eek but I have anxiety anyway lol

Entry requirements: All at least AAA, some A*AA I think, some higher.
Predictions: N/A
Choices: St Andrews: AH and Social Anthropology. Edinburgh: Ancient History, UCL: Ancient History, KCL: Classical Studies and Durham: Ancient History
Course(s): Ancient History and Archaeology
IB grade predictions: 40, 667 at HL
Entry requirements: 36, 665 HL
Choices: Oxford was rejected so my only UCAS choice now as an international student is St Andrews, other than that Trinity College Dublin for the same course, and a few universities in the Netherlands for liberal arts
Reply 11
Courses: Classics
GCSEs: 9s and 8s
Predictions: A*A* (Latin and Class Civ) AA (Maths and History)

I applied to:
Classics: St Andrews, Durham, Exeter (offer at AAA or AAB if firmed), Royal Holloway (offer at ABB)
Classical Studies: Edinburgh (offer at ABB)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lmgreynolds
Course(s): Ancient History, AH and Social Anthropology and Classical Studies at different Unis

GCSE grades: 987776665 (missed 6 months of Y9 and quite a lot of Y10 as well as being ill during exams)

AS grades: Didn't do AS levels BUT already have A level results due to gap year. A* Classical Civilisation A* Politics and D2 Cambridge Pre-U History. Worried Unis will look down upon last year's grades eek but I have anxiety anyway lol

Entry requirements: All at least AAA, some A*AA I think, some higher.
Predictions: N/A
Choices: St Andrews: AH and Social Anthropology. Edinburgh: Ancient History, UCL: Ancient History, KCL: Classical Studies and Durham: Ancient History

Have one offer back (Durham) as of today x
Make the past your future. Opening doors to a career in Archaeology and Heritage with postgraduate courses at the Royal Agricultural University.

The Cultural heritage Institute are running a number of virtual course introductions:

Wed 10 Feb, 12pm: MSc Archaeological and Heritage Practice
Wed 10 Feb, 2pm: MSc Historic Environment Management
Wed 17 Feb, 12:30pm: MSc Conservation and Management of Historic Buildings
Wed 17 Feb, 1:30pm: MSc Historical Archaeology
Wed 24 Feb, 12pm: MBA Cultural Heritage Leadership

To book your place, visit https://www.rau.ac.uk/study/open-days
How long does it take for the application to move out of the GAO? Mine has been there for the 11th day today and starting to get anxious.
Have one offer back (Durham) as of today x

Got an offer from St Andrews today :smile: my top choice so it's a relief. Good luck all x
Got an offer from St Andrews today :smile: my top choice so it's a relief. Good luck all x

Congratulations! 🥳 😃 x
Original post by Tabstarzizi
Congratulations! 🥳 😃 x

Thank you - that's very sweet of you ! Best of luck, seriously :-)))
Thank you - that's very sweet of you ! Best of luck, seriously :-)))

Thank you 😊
Course(s): Classics
AS grades: AABB
Entry requirements: BBB, BBC w/ A in EPQ
Predictions: A*AA
Choices: Got offers from Durham, Nottingham, Birmingham, Newcastle, Warwick. Firmed Nottingham and insured Birmingham.
Other: uhhh a mfckinnnn .. ham?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending