The Student Room Group

Is moscovici study (1969) related to conformity?

Can it be used to evaluate conformity studies, vice versa? E.g. Asch study, Sheridan and King
Reply 1
I don't think so? The real participants were the majority in Moscovici's study who were being influenced by a minority group of confederates to eventually give the same answer as the confederates in some of the trials. However, in Asch, there was only one real participant in a group of confederates, meaning that they were the minority and that they felt the pressure of NSI to follow the majority group's behaviour because they wanted to be accepted. Also, because the real participant in Asch's study was the minority, if they had changed the behaviour of the others, it would have been due to minority influence and not conformity (but that real participant wouldn't have even been able to change the other people's behaviour because they were confederates ordered to act in a certain way anyway).

In Moscovici's study, the majority weren't changing anybody's behaviour- it was the minority who were changing people's behaviour- so that comes under minority influence and not conformity. Hope that makes sense? Maybe you should ask your teacher though, because I understand where you're coming from- in both cases, one group is changing another group's behaviour.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Pichi
I don't think so? The real participants were the majority in Moscovici's study who were being influenced by a minority group of confederates to eventually give the same answer as the confederates in some of the trials. However, in Asch, there was only one real participant in a group of confederates, meaning that they were the minority and that they felt the pressure of NSI to follow the majority group's behaviour because they wanted to be accepted. Also, because the real participant in Asch's study was the minority, if they had changed the behaviour of the others, it would have been due to minority influence and not conformity (but that real participant wouldn't have even been able to change the other people's behaviour because they were confederates ordered to act in a certain way anyway).

In Moscovici's study, the majority weren't changing anybody's behaviour- it was the minority who were changing people's behaviour- so that comes under minority influence and not conformity. Hope that makes sense? Maybe you should ask your teacher though, because I understand where you're coming from- in both cases, one group is changing another group's behaviour.

Thanks for the response
But on simplypsychology.com it talks about how moscovici's is a conformity study?
Reply 3
Original post by Bbubble061
Thanks for the response
But on simplypsychology.com it talks about how moscovici's is a conformity study?

I have no idea then. You're talking about the study on the blue and green-coloured slides, right? You should probably ask your teacher. I guess I'll ask mine too next time I have a lesson (I think that'll be tomorrow- I'll tell you what she says). All I know is that the AQA textbook definitely uses Moscovici for evaluating minority influence and I see it as being on minority influence too.
Reply 4
Original post by Pichi
I have no idea then. You're talking about the study on the blue and green-coloured slides, right? You should probably ask your teacher. I guess I'll ask mine too next time I have a lesson (I think that'll be tomorrow- I'll tell you what she says). All I know is that the AQA textbook definitely uses Moscovici for evaluating minority influence and I see it as being on minority influence too.

Okay thank you very much!:h: :heart:
Reply 5
Okay thank you very much!:h: :heart:

No problem :^_^: Also, I just checked my timetable and I don't have my lesson with her until Wednesday afternoon, so it'll be a few days.
Reply 6
I'm in my lesson call right now and I just asked my teacher. She said Moscovici is definitely not conformity and the AQA textbook also says Moscovici is minority influence. She said it's because the group that does the influencing in Moscovici is the minority.

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by Pichi
I'm in my lesson call right now and I just asked my teacher. She said Moscovici is definitely not conformity and the AQA textbook also says Moscovici is minority influence. She said it's because the group that does the influencing in Moscovici is the minority.

Spoiler

Ah! Thank you so much! You're so kind :cry2:
I'm really sorry for making you feel embarrassed lol but I really appreciate that you went that far to help me :heart:
Reply 8
Ah! Thank you so much! You're so kind :cry2:
I'm really sorry for making you feel embarrassed lol but I really appreciate that you went that far to help me :heart:

It's okay :h:
Though she did ask if this 'friend' wanted to join the call lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending