The Student Room Group

Exeter or Saint Andrews for Geography?

I have my list of universities and am nearly ready to apply, however, I'm stuck between saint Andrews or Exeter for my Aspirational choice.

My predictions are ABB, with an A* in the EPQ, both unis want AAA-AAB for geography, which is what I'd apply to Exeter for (Geography and Economics at Saint Andrew's)

Does anyone have any recommendations for which one is better for geography? or anything that might help my decision?
I really liked saint Andrews when I went, and I was in Exeter last month, and really loved it so I'm stuck lol!

My main reservation with SA is that it is really far from home (London), but i do like its campus and location.

My other choices are:

Loughborough - Geog with Econ
Liverpool - Geog
UEA - Geog
Aberdeen - Geog and Econ

Thanks,
Ethan
Original post by Esimm03
My predictions are ABB, with an A* in the EPQ, both unis want AAA-AAB for geography

First step - email both Unis and find out the criteria for the lower grade offer.

If its their Contextual offer (for those from lower performing schools etc) and you don't qualify, then you are aiming at an AAA course with grades two below (risky). You need to know what chance you have of getting the lower grade offer before you apply.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
First step - email both Unis and find out the criteria for the lower grade offer.

If its their Contextual offer (for those from lower performing schools etc) and you don't qualify, then you are aiming at an AAA course with grades two below (risky). You need to know what chance you have of getting the lower grade offer before you apply.

Hi,
Exeter states on their website that for a contextual offer you need to be an applicant 'from state schools who live in an area with low participation rates in higher education (POLAR 4 LPN Q1/2).', my area is in Q5 so would mean I'm not eligible. The same goes for the other criteria on their website.

I'll email Saint Andrews now and see what they come back with

Thanks,
Ethan
Original post by Esimm03
I have my list of universities and am nearly ready to apply, however, I'm stuck between saint Andrews or Exeter for my Aspirational choice.

My predictions are ABB, with an A* in the EPQ, both unis want AAA-AAB for geography, which is what I'd apply to Exeter for (Geography and Economics at Saint Andrew's)

Does anyone have any recommendations for which one is better for geography? or anything that might help my decision?
I really liked saint Andrews when I went, and I was in Exeter last month, and really loved it so I'm stuck lol!

My main reservation with SA is that it is really far from home (London), but i do like its campus and location.

My other choices are:

Loughborough - Geog with Econ
Liverpool - Geog
UEA - Geog
Aberdeen - Geog and Econ

Thanks,
Ethan

Are there any of your other 4 choices that you’re less keen on?

Depending on how quickly your school can add your reference you could just apply now to your 3 top choices and then decide after Christmas (when you might have a few offers) whether to use your other 2 choices for risky or safer options
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Are there any of your other 4 choices that you’re less keen on?

Depending on how quickly your school can add your reference you could just apply now to your 3 top choices and then decide after Christmas (when you might have a few offers) whether to use your other 2 choices for risky or safer options

Everything is ready to send off (the school did everything over the summer, so I could apply now if I wanted to.

I'm not too sure, I know my top two would likely be Aberdeen and Loughborough, I'm just concerned about having so many options above my predicted grades, assuming my centre assessed EPQ is correct, and I get an A*, this is what my entry requirements will be for each of my choices:

Aberdeen - BBB
Loughborough AAB
Liverpool - BBB
UEA - BBC

So I kind of only want one more 'aspirational' choice, at AAA (which I'm concerned may already be a bit of a stretch).

I didn't know you could apply to some now and some later? but that may actually be a decent idea, i could apply to the four listed above now, and then when I begin to receive offers (or rejections), I'll make up my mind for the fifth!

Thanks,
Ethan
There’s generally a huge number of excellent choices for geography in clearing at around the BBB/BCC level so I would say you’re probably playing things a bit too safe personally.

Quick Reply