The Student Room Group

Midwifery or Radiography? Obstestric Ultrasound!

Hi, My future aspiration is to work in sonography (antenatal ultrasound) there are three routes to doing this, each involving a Bsc in either Radiography, Nursing or Midwifery and then a masters in Medical imaging or on the job training etc. I really wish there was just a Bsc in Ultrasound!! There is a new course in Birmingham which is a Bsc in Ultrasound but I am from the North West (Manchester) and have two children so I really need to stay nearby for support. My question is, which route should I take? I feel that Radiography is the obvious answer as it is all about imaging however I do feel my passion for wanting to do sonography lies with pregnancy and the experience of making a woman feel amazing by showing them what they are growing inside of them! I also feel that maybe having an understanding of pregnancy and different conditions and complications may help me understand what I am looking for and the risks it holds? I guess my fascination is more with the fetus and the mother than the technology? I am really confused and I am trying to complete my UCAS but I feel that I wont get on either course by telling them I aspire to work in Ultrasound instead of a radiographer/midwife as I know theyre both competitive courses. Anyone in a similar position or who works in ultrasound now care to give me any advice!? So much appreciated. (Nursing is pretty much out of the window at this point but still something I would consider if recommended!)
Original post by jtaylor1996
Hi, My future aspiration is to work in sonography (antenatal ultrasound) there are three routes to doing this, each involving a Bsc in either Radiography, Nursing or Midwifery and then a masters in Medical imaging or on the job training etc. I really wish there was just a Bsc in Ultrasound!! There is a new course in Birmingham which is a Bsc in Ultrasound but I am from the North West (Manchester) and have two children so I really need to stay nearby for support. My question is, which route should I take? I feel that Radiography is the obvious answer as it is all about imaging however I do feel my passion for wanting to do sonography lies with pregnancy and the experience of making a woman feel amazing by showing them what they are growing inside of them! I also feel that maybe having an understanding of pregnancy and different conditions and complications may help me understand what I am looking for and the risks it holds? I guess my fascination is more with the fetus and the mother than the technology? I am really confused and I am trying to complete my UCAS but I feel that I wont get on either course by telling them I aspire to work in Ultrasound instead of a radiographer/midwife as I know theyre both competitive courses. Anyone in a similar position or who works in ultrasound now care to give me any advice!? So much appreciated. (Nursing is pretty much out of the window at this point but still something I would consider if recommended!)

heya im stuck between radiography and midwifery too. they r both great courses. the thing with radiography is that more training is required after completing the degree. I would prefer if it was different degrees for MRI's,CT's,unltrasound,vascular etc
Reply 2
Original post by btecs098
heya im stuck between radiography and midwifery too. they r both great courses. the thing with radiography is that more training is required after completing the degree. I would prefer if it was different degrees for MRI's,CT's,unltrasound,vascular etc

Are you looking to get into antenatal ultrasound also? Yes it is a nightmare isn’t it! I am really unsure what to do as I also want to do something I will enjoy for the next three years! I am tempted to go into midwifery!
Do your degree in midwifing as you will get job satisfaction at end of each day, yyes its three years but worth it.
Hi, I'm exactly the same. It took me some time to work out. Sadly birmingham have stopped that course this year so it threw me as I was meant to go to open day and they sent me an email saying medical ultrasound wasnt running next year due to lack of numbers :frown: I wanted to be a radiographer then changed to a nurse. After doing work experience in a hospital, it was clear to me I was only interested in baby scans so I've chosen to apply for midwifery. If you too are only interested in the baby scanning, I'd say go for midwifery too. Hope this helps x
Reply 5
Im a trained Radiographer and now applying for a traineeship in sonography, by the sounds of it they do lean more towards radiographers so i would look into it a little further, plus it gives a wider variety of options if for any reason you change your mind
Wow how 4 months has changed since my first response to you. I'm doing radiography now instead got my place confirmed today. My friends from college have struggled to get into midwifery x
Reply 7
Original post by kedwards1997
Wow how 4 months has changed since my first response to you. I'm doing radiography now instead got my place confirmed today. My friends from college have struggled to get into midwifery x

Hi, congratulations! How did you find the application process for radiography? I'm am stuck between radiography and midwifery. I know midwifery is extremely competitive when applying. One student told me it took her 4 cycles to get onto the degree at Northampton uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Khloeh
Hi, congratulations! How did you find the application process for radiography? I'm am stuck between radiography and midwifery. I know midwifery is extremely competitive when applying. One student told me it took her 4 cycles to get onto the degree at Northampton uni.

I would do radiography rather than midwifery if you want to do sonograms, it’s really rare for midwives to train to become sonographers, I’ve been a midwife for 10 years and never come across any additional training for it.
Midwifery is extremely competitive and if you say you want to do sonography you wouldn’t stand a chance as it’s a completely different job.
You could do midwifery then msc In radiography but that would take 5 yrs.
I would take advice from the radiographer who posted on here, that’s the best route.
I couldn’t do the same thing day in and day out in a small dark room but that’s my opinion and we are all different.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi I am a sonographer who went through the radiography undergraduate route then into Msc medical ultrasound.
I love my job and do a mix of obs, general, MSK, head and neck and vascular ultrasound. I would say just doing obstetric ultrasound would get a bit tiresome and be very bad for your shoulder/wrist/back. With more and more ladies having increased BMI and not getting a good mix of scans will be difficult to achieve for a long career. So take that into account. Becoming a radiographer first will give you the back ground in anatomy you need and also a good insight into looking at different modalities in imaging and how departments work. The undergraduate ultrasound Birmingham are doing is not CASE accredited nor can you be registered with a governing body such as the HCPC as sonography is not a protected title. This may limit job opportunities for you and is something to consider.
Best of luck!
dd
Original post by donkeymcdonkface
Hi I am a sonographer who went through the radiography undergraduate route then into Msc medical ultrasound.
I love my job and do a mix of obs, general, MSK, head and neck and vascular ultrasound. I would say just doing obstetric ultrasound would get a bit tiresome and be very bad for your shoulder/wrist/back. With more and more ladies having increased BMI and not getting a good mix of scans will be difficult to achieve for a long career. So take that into account. Becoming a radiographer first will give you the back ground in anatomy you need and also a good insight into looking at different modalities in imaging and how departments work. The undergraduate ultrasound Birmingham are doing is not CASE accredited nor can you be registered with a governing body such as the HCPC as sonography is not a protected title. This may limit job opportunities for you and is something to consider.
Best of luck!

Hi! i am university 3rd yr student, i am currently looking into applying for the MSc in ultrasound in derby.. any ideas on what type of questions you get asked as a graduate?/ did you really enjoy your Msc? Also, what do you think set you differently in your interview with your university/ any advice on how to stand out? thankyou!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi,
First up be really, really keen. Do research into FASP and the Fetal Medicine Foundation - lots of on line courses you can do prior to interview. Certificates always look good! Know your anatomy and how structures look on ultrasound. What are you doing your dissertation on? Is it ultrasound related? Talk about that if it is and take a copy too. Fill a folder with on-line courses you have completed, journal articles you have read. Look at recent developments in extended practice eg head and neck FNA's, contrast in ultrasound etc.
I loved doing my post graduate - however don't be fooled - it was the hardest thing I have ever done and is a roller coaster of a ride.

Best of luck!
Original post by donkeymcdonkface
Hi,
First up be really, really keen. Do research into FASP and the Fetal Medicine Foundation - lots of on line courses you can do prior to interview. Certificates always look good! Know your anatomy and how structures look on ultrasound. What are you doing your dissertation on? Is it ultrasound related? Talk about that if it is and take a copy too. Fill a folder with on-line courses you have completed, journal articles you have read. Look at recent developments in extended practice eg head and neck FNA's, contrast in ultrasound etc.
I loved doing my post graduate - however don't be fooled - it was the hardest thing I have ever done and is a roller coaster of a ride.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for this! Was it a really fast paced course? & also due to covid i don't think ill be going in to the university to have my interview i think it will be online so i cant show certification but should i have online copies i can send to them?
Thanks so much for this i really appreciate it!
Original post by nadeu002
Thanks so much for this! Was it a really fast paced course? & also due to covid i don't think ill be going in to the university to have my interview i think it will be online so i cant show certification but should i have online copies i can send to them?
Thanks so much for this i really appreciate it!

Yes, I would send on-line copies.
I would say not particularly fast paced, just the amount to learn with learning to scan too (and being pulled in x-ray when short) can take its toll.
Don't get disheartened and make yourself pick up the probe even when you feel you just can't do it. You have to scan to learn to scan so even when you are first learning ask the sonographer if at the end of every scan when they are typing the report (and the patient is happy) do little things, kidney length and scan through in both plans, aorta, or if obs then femur length, placental position etc. Just get your hands on the probe! The sonographer will be delighted you are so keen too - we all get fed up with students that just sit back!!!
Hi im hoping to do sonography going through the radiography route, can anyone tell me more about sonography and the type of work you do on a day to day basis and alos what would further increase my chances of getting onto the course, for my personal statement?

Quick Reply

Latest