The Student Room Group

Biochemistry applications 2020

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to biochem applications (sorry if I've missed one), so I thought I'd make one
I've applied to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, King's, and Manchester, not heard anything back yet. Has anyone got offers/interviews?

Also does anyone know which unis usually interview for biochem? I've heard UCL and Manchester might but I'm not sure?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lavoj002
I couldn't find a thread dedicated to biochem applications (sorry if I've missed one), so I thought I'd make one
I've applied to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, King's, and Manchester, not heard anything back yet. Has anyone got offers/interviews?

Also does anyone know which unis usually interview for biochem? I've heard UCL and Manchester might but I'm not sure?

i’ve got an offer for an integrated masters for bristol and cardiff! I haven’t heard about interviews, i know Loughborough give interviews for natsci but that’s it. Which Oxford college have you applied to??
Reply 2
Original post by ebeaumontt
i’ve got an offer for an integrated masters for bristol and cardiff! I haven’t heard about interviews, i know Loughborough give interviews for natsci but that’s it. Which Oxford college have you applied to??

Congratulations! How long did it take for you to hear back from Bristol? Also, was it just biochem or with medicinal biochem?:smile:

I’ve applied to Surrey, Southampton, Bristol, Exeter and Bath - only received an offer from Surrey so far.
Reply 3

Congratulations!! Two offers already, thats incredible. Where else have you applied?
I applied to Wadham college, only take 4 biochemists a year... :/

I know I'd have to interview for oxford but I really hope I wont have any others, interviews definitely aren't my strong suit
Original post by Adambrl
Congratulations! How long did it take for you to hear back from Bristol? Also, was it just biochem or with medicinal biochem?:smile:

I’ve applied to Surrey, Southampton, Bristol, Exeter and Bath - only received an offer from Surrey so far.

Thank you!! I applied on the 11th of October so just under a month.
I received an offer from exeter today! I’ve also applied to Bath but I feel like they take a while with giving out offers so I’m not expecting anything yet.
Congrats on your offer from Surrey and let me know if you get any others :smile:
Congratulations!! Two offers already, thats incredible. Where else have you applied?
I applied to Wadham college, only take 4 biochemists a year... :/

I know I'd have to interview for oxford but I really hope I wont have any others, interviews definitely aren't my strong suit

Thank you!! I’ve also applied to exeter, oxford and bath. I received an offer from exeter today which I also wasn’t expecting haha.
Best of luck with your oxford application, fingers crossed we both get interviews.
Yeh tbh I always assumed it was just oxbridge and medicine that did interviews but now i’ve heard that loughborough do for biological science related degrees im not 100% sure, maybe just keep checking the main offer thread?
Reply 6
Thank you!! I’ve also applied to exeter, oxford and bath. I received an offer from exeter today which I also wasn’t expecting haha.
Best of luck with your oxford application, fingers crossed we both get interviews.
Yeh tbh I always assumed it was just oxbridge and medicine that did interviews but now i’ve heard that loughborough do for biological science related degrees im not 100% sure, maybe just keep checking the main offer thread?

Thats great for Exeter! Which college did you apply to at Oxford?
It's so frustrating waiting to hear back isnt it, at least oxford we know when it'll be ish, the others could be months
Yh nowhere says anything conclusive about interviews, even their websites are quite vague

i'm not sure about manchester but i don't think ucl interviews!
Thats great for Exeter! Which college did you apply to at Oxford?
It's so frustrating waiting to hear back isnt it, at least oxford we know when it'll be ish, the others could be months
Yh nowhere says anything conclusive about interviews, even their websites are quite vague

I applied to Corpus Christi!
Yess that’s true, I know it can be soo frustrating not knowing how long it will be.
Hopefully you’ll find out about interviews soon!
Reply 9
I feel like I hardly find anything about applying for biochem and the interviews! Even in the main threads I think I've only seen 1 or two people say they've applied for biochem - has anyone had any offers? I've applied Oxford, Warwick, KCl, Imperial and St Andrews.
Reply 10
Original post by Neha5
I feel like I hardly find anything about applying for biochem and the interviews! Even in the main threads I think I've only seen 1 or two people say they've applied for biochem - has anyone had any offers? I've applied Oxford, Warwick, KCl, Imperial and St Andrews.

That's so true, I found a thread call biochem and they'd only discussed biomed... i think its because a lot of people see biochem just as a medicine backup
No, I applied about a month ago, still not heard anything back
Which college did you apply to at Oxford?
Reply 11
That's so true, I found a thread call biochem and they'd only discussed biomed... i think its because a lot of people see biochem just as a medicine backup
No, I applied about a month ago, still not heard anything back
Which college did you apply to at Oxford?

I really thought that I would hear back from some unis before I hear about oxford interviews, but at this rate I'll probably hear about interviews first! The lack of popularity and people I've seen applying for biochem is making me second guess my application for the subject and whether job prospects will be good lol. I've applied to St Johns - which did you apply to? Which A Levels are you applying with? Random but do you think our a level exam will be cancelled with Wale's announcement this week?
Reply 12
Original post by Neha5
I really thought that I would hear back from some unis before I hear about oxford interviews, but at this rate I'll probably hear about interviews first! The lack of popularity and people I've seen applying for biochem is making me second guess my application for the subject and whether job prospects will be good lol. I've applied to St Johns - which did you apply to? Which A Levels are you applying with? Random but do you think our a level exam will be cancelled with Wale's announcement this week?

Definitely, I feel like I'm constantly waiting for an email from UCAS track and its just not coming...
I ended up applying to Wadham but I hesitated with St Johns so much, it looks so nice! I've got bio, chem, maths and french, you?
I don't think they will be cancelled, if they refuse to shut schools here surely that means they want us sitting the exams, but I really really hope they do, I could do without that stress!
Reply 13
Definitely, I feel like I'm constantly waiting for an email from UCAS track and its just not coming...
I ended up applying to Wadham but I hesitated with St Johns so much, it looks so nice! I've got bio, chem, maths and french, you?
I don't think they will be cancelled, if they refuse to shut schools here surely that means they want us sitting the exams, but I really really hope they do, I could do without that stress!

Haha same here, I know UCAS email if theres an update on track but I find myself checking track anyway hoping somethings just updated.Hoping something comes through soon!:smile: Wadham seemed really nice when I was researching colleges! It I was pretty set on LMH and then changed my mind pretty last minute lol. I'm doing bio, chem and psychology - i think my application would've looked better and more competitive if I had done maths but I really couldn't see myself doing 2 years of pure maths and getting a good grade tbh. I think they might have to consider cancelling them though because it would bring a lot of uncertainty around how unis decide between applicants who sit/ don't sit exams.
Reply 14
Original post by Neha5
Haha same here, I know UCAS email if theres an update on track but I find myself checking track anyway hoping somethings just updated.Hoping something comes through soon!:smile: Wadham seemed really nice when I was researching colleges! It I was pretty set on LMH and then changed my mind pretty last minute lol. I'm doing bio, chem and psychology - i think my application would've looked better and more competitive if I had done maths but I really couldn't see myself doing 2 years of pure maths and getting a good grade tbh. I think they might have to consider cancelling them though because it would bring a lot of uncertainty around how unis decide between applicants who sit/ don't sit exams.

Omg Im so glad Im not the only one that does that! Ofc there never are any updates on UCAS track but it always feels like its worth a shot haha
You know Im not sure maths will make a difference tbh, I mean its biochem and they dont even require biology, I imagine that means they go over a level maths and bio in the first year?
Yh thats a good point about the unis, and I hope they have learnt from the year 13s reaction over the summer, surely they cant risk us sitting exams and getting bad grades and the same thing happening again (the U-turn was embarrassing enough for them the first time!)
Reply 15
Omg Im so glad Im not the only one that does that! Ofc there never are any updates on UCAS track but it always feels like its worth a shot haha
You know Im not sure maths will make a difference tbh, I mean its biochem and they dont even require biology, I imagine that means they go over a level maths and bio in the first year?
Yh thats a good point about the unis, and I hope they have learnt from the year 13s reaction over the summer, surely they cant risk us sitting exams and getting bad grades and the same thing happening again (the U-turn was embarrassing enough for them the first time!)

Haha deffo let us know if u hear back from one of the unis:smile:. I didn’t think maths would make a difference either but some of the biochem courses are quite heavy maths based and Oxford say that maths isn’t required but definitely makes an application more competitive, so will just have to see how it pans out i guess.
I don’t think the government really know what their doing when it comes to the education system at the moment!
Where abouts in the UK are you from?
Reply 16
Original post by Neha5
Haha deffo let us know if u hear back from one of the unis:smile:. I didn’t think maths would make a difference either but some of the biochem courses are quite heavy maths based and Oxford say that maths isn’t required but definitely makes an application more competitive, so will just have to see how it pans out i guess.
I don’t think the government really know what their doing when it comes to the education system at the moment!
Where abouts in the UK are you from?

Yh likewise, I'd be interested to know what unis we hear back from first, at this rate it looks like it might be oxford interviews!
I'm from bucks, although rn I'd really like to be in Wales haha
Btw, have you applied to BSc or MScs for biochem? It looks like a lot of people apply for MScs but idk how much more competitive they are, if at all
Reply 17
Yh likewise, I'd be interested to know what unis we hear back from first, at this rate it looks like it might be oxford interviews!
I'm from bucks, although rn I'd really like to be in Wales haha
Btw, have you applied to BSc or MScs for biochem? It looks like a lot of people apply for MScs but idk how much more competitive they are, if at all

Ah so you’re not too far from oxford and london then if u go to uni there, im from Manchester so i decided Manchester wasn’t going to be one of my options because it was soo close to home lol.
So because the oxford one is MSc i decided to apply for MSci at most of my other ones, i think 4/5 of my applications are for MSc. It just sounded like a good idea because with the extra year u graduate with masters and then i think for me personally it seemed good to be able to cut out the hassle of applying for a masters and instead, finishing one degree with it.
Wbu? Have you applied for BSc at your other choices or MSc?
Reply 18
Original post by Neha5
Ah so you’re not too far from oxford and london then if u go to uni there, im from Manchester so i decided Manchester wasn’t going to be one of my options because it was soo close to home lol.
So because the oxford one is MSc i decided to apply for MSci at most of my other ones, i think 4/5 of my applications are for MSc. It just sounded like a good idea because with the extra year u graduate with masters and then i think for me personally it seemed good to be able to cut out the hassle of applying for a masters and instead, finishing one degree with it.
Wbu? Have you applied for BSc at your other choices or MSc?

Ah fair enough, yh Oxford does feel a little close to home, a bit of a downside but worth it for Oxford!
Same I applied to 4 MScs and then BSc at Imperial that dont offer the MSc, bc i know thats what I want to go into anyway, best case scenario Id go into something researchy. But I did find their websites really weren't very clear about the difference between the two, some of them had the same entry requirements for both, I'm not sure if MScs are acc more competitive
Do you know what you'd like to get into after your biochem degree?
Reply 19
Ah fair enough, yh Oxford does feel a little close to home, a bit of a downside but worth it for Oxford!
Same I applied to 4 MScs and then BSc at Imperial that dont offer the MSc, bc i know thats what I want to go into anyway, best case scenario Id go into something researchy. But I did find their websites really weren't very clear about the difference between the two, some of them had the same entry requirements for both, I'm not sure if MScs are acc more competitive
Do you know what you'd like to get into after your biochem degree?

I’m thinking something research based too! Although im not completely sure and will probably decide further into the course. I’ve been reading some threads from past biochem applicants to oxford and ive basically convinced myself im definitely not getting an interview now😂😫😫😫 from what ive read about past years KCL and imperial take their time for giving out biochem offers:frown:

Quick Reply