The Student Room Group

A Level Help!!!!

Hi,
Can anyone please explain how A Levels works? I am so confused! I am doing it in England, and I am taking Edexcel Maths, AQA Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Hi, i am currently doing A levels. what do you want to know about them?
Original post by Nikhita1
Hi, i am currently doing A levels. what do you want to know about them?

Hi,
Everything! I have absolutely no clue how they work.
That’s kind of vague, can u not say specific questions that u want to know.

1) look up online past papers for each exam board so u get an idea of what your end of exam papers will look like.
2) do u have all your revision guides and spec for your subjects?

At the end of the two years of u studying, u will sit your exams obvs. U can find out when the date is for this online.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Geraldthegoat
That’s kind of vague, can u not say specific questions that u want to know.

1) look up online past papers for each exam board so u get an idea of what your end of exam papers will look like.
2) do u have all your revision guides and spec for your subjects?

At the end of the two years of u studying, u will sit your exams obvs. U can find out when the date is for this online.

Basically, I want to know how the A-Levels work. Do they have it as AS and A2 levels? things like that.
1) There’s no a huge difference but A-level is divided so u learn the content for 2 years, in year 1 that’s AS and in year 2 it’s A-2.

2) so usually if you do a-levels u will take 3 or 4 subjects and u sit the exams at the end of the two years. But if u do a 4th one, it’s usually an AS so u sit it at the end of year 1 and that’s your grade.
Reply 6
I am doing biology a level so can explain it in terms of that. My exam board is OCR.
A levels are generally studied for 2 years. At the end of the second year 2 to 3 exams are taken, the majority of A levels are fully exam based now, there are a few that still do coursework but not many.

My biology is split into 3 exams, aqa is probably the same. Each exam has set modules within it, these can be found on the specification which will be on the exam boards website. The spec will honestly be your best friend when it comes to revision as this shows you exactly what you need to know and in how much detail. there’s also past papers on your exam boards website which you should use as these are really helpful for revision.
when you’re learning your a levels the first few topics are generally quite basic and lead nicely on from gcses (do you do gcses?) for example the first module in my biology a level is foundations in biology which teaches about cells, biological molecules etc. this information is useful when learning other parts of the course later on. A general rule is that the content gets progressively more detailed throughout the course.

i would definitely recommend buying revision guides for your course too. if you have any questions let me know!
I am doing biology a level so can explain it in terms of that. My exam board is OCR.
A levels are generally studied for 2 years. At the end of the second year 2 to 3 exams are taken, the majority of A levels are fully exam based now, there are a few that still do coursework but not many.

My biology is split into 3 exams, aqa is probably the same. Each exam has set modules within it, these can be found on the specification which will be on the exam boards website. The spec will honestly be your best friend when it comes to revision as this shows you exactly what you need to know and in how much detail. there’s also past papers on your exam boards website which you should use as these are really helpful for revision.
when you’re learning your a levels the first few topics are generally quite basic and lead nicely on from gcses (do you do gcses?) for example the first module in my biology a level is foundations in biology which teaches about cells, biological molecules etc. this information is useful when learning other parts of the course later on. A general rule is that the content gets progressively more detailed throughout the course.

i would definitely recommend buying revision guides for your course too. if you have any questions let me know!

Thank you so much.
Which exam boards, do you recommend or are common for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics?
Reply 9
OCR and AQA are the most common exam boards here. Will you be learning them online as A levels require practicals too ?
OCR and AQA are the most common exam boards here. Will you be learning them online as A levels require practicals too ?

yes, any advice in terms of practicals?
Original post by Allera
yes, any advice in terms of practicals?

you’ll need somewhere to do the practicals, they’re not something you can do at home. they often require a laboratory. there might be a local school/college/uni that can facilitate this for you though. there’s 12 practicals in my biology course so there’s probably around the same for AQA

Quick Reply

Latest