The Student Room Group

Grades for russel group

What is the chance of getting into Russel group with grades of A*A*A*A in A levels (stem courses) with 5 GCSE grades of 4 to 5 (C to C*). Does university care about GCSEs? Or will it affect my chances? Btw I’m doing private International A levels in India so they don’t mind taking A levels with C grade (incl maths). Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Dhanu N
What is the chance of getting into Russel group with grades of A*A*A*A in A levels (stem courses) with 5 GCSE grades of 4 to 5 (C to C*). Does university care about GCSEs? Or will it affect my chances? Btw I’m doing private International A levels in India so they don’t mind taking A levels with C grade (incl maths). Thank you

Certainly possible. The more competitive russell group universities might be difficult to get into, i.e Cambridge/ Oxford with those GCSE's. Others I would say it probably depends on the popularity and demand of the course. They may have minimum requirements on certain courses if they felt you needed an A/A* (I think that's 7/8/9) under the new system for Maths or English GCSE but most courses I'm pretty sure look at your A-levels as opposed to your GCSE's.
For Overseas applicants, most Russell Group Unis will be more concerned with your A levels (or equivalent) than GCSEs - this is because many overseas countries dont have any 16+ exams so not everyone will have grades at that level.

The exception is where GCSEs are needed for 'skills' - typically Maths for STEM courses - that is still important and Unis will need evidence of that within A levels/equiv. if an applicant doesnt have GCSE type qualifications.
Original post by Dhanu N

I suspect any university is likely to be highly sceptical of your predicted grades given your GCSEs. It would be totally unusual for someone to get those grades with 4 or 5 in GCSE. Your referee is going to need to do some explaining to justify these predictions. In the UK most schools or colleges wouldnt accept you for STEM A levels with 4 or 5 at GCSE in those subjects. Someone going from a 4 or 5 in GCSE Maths to A or A* in A level is highly unlikely.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
I suspect any university is likely to be highly sceptical of your predicted grades given your GCSEs. It would be totally unusual for someone to get those grades with 4 or 5 in GCSE. Your referee is going to need to do some explaining to justify these predictions. In the UK most schools or colleges wouldnt accept you for STEM A levels with 4 or 5 at GCSE in those subjects. Someone going from a 4 or 5 in GCSE Maths to A or A* in A level is highly unlikely.

Original post by McGinger
For Overseas applicants, most Russell Group Unis will be more concerned with your A levels (or equivalent) than GCSEs - this is because many overseas countries dont have any 16+ exams so not everyone will have grades at that level.

The exception is where GCSEs are needed for 'skills' - typically Maths for STEM courses - that is still important and Unis will need evidence of that within A levels/equiv. if an applicant doesnt have GCSE type qualifications.

I live in UK right now, I have completed GCSE In 2020 with grade 5s, I know most sixth forms allow us to take only 3 or 4 A levels, however in India, international boarding schools are offering students to take 6 A levels and English is compulsory. I know this is goin to be difficult, but is it worth to take 6 A levels or will it increase my chances?
Original post by Dhanu N
I live in UK right now, I have completed GCSE In 2020 with grade 5s, I know most sixth forms allow us to take only 3 or 4 A levels, however in India, international boarding schools are offering students to take 6 A levels and English is compulsory. I know this is goin to be difficult, but is it worth to take 6 A levels or will it increase my chances?

UK unis are only interested in your 3 highest grades. Some courses may make an alternative offer based on four, but they are rare. University selection isn't a videogame where you rack up XP by taking a large number of qualifications. It will not increase your chances at all.

Take 3 A-Levels. 4 at absolute most.
Original post by Dhanu N

Reading your comments it really does concern me that you are not fully appreciative of how hard A levels are compared to GCSE. Only absolute geniuses take 6 A levels and frankly your GCSE grades doesnt suggest that. Someone going from a C in GCSE in a subject like Maths or Science to an A* in A level doesnt happen and to see your suggestion of taking 6 A levels with your GCSE grades is totally unbelievable. Even students with 12 A* at GCSE dont take that many.

You need to concentrate on achieving the highest grades you can and just concentrate on 3 A levels. Your referee is going to have real problems trying to explain your predictions given your GCSE grades. Had the GCSEs been in humanities and the A levels in STEM subjects possibly a university might believe it but considering one of your subjects was in Maths I suspect universities will see your predictions as way over predicted and taking 6 A levels would be extremely foolish. Many students with excellent GCSEs dont achieve your predicted grades taking 3 A levels.
Original post by Dhanu N

Hmm this just doesn't add up. Someone getting a minimal amount of C's at GCSE are unlikely to get Cs at A-level let alone As or multiple A*s.
roughly 8% of students get an A* and 0.08^4 = 0.00004096 or 0.0041%.

Will your GCSEs effect unis, if they dont meet the minimum criteria then yes, and for super competitive courses then yes. Most STEM courses tend to support high cohort sizes and as long as you're taking relevant subjects and meet the minimum criteria on the website its generally not an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending