The Student Room Group

iPhone 12 sent to my house by accident?

Hi guys, I got a delivery package from DPD with an iPhone 12 inside (which I didn’t order). I’ve been trying to trace the person who ordered it by searching up the postcode but the postcode shows my road, and the sticker tag on the package has my door number. There’s no road/street name mentioned on the package, just a name, door number and postcode, what should I do? If this is a scam, what can I do to stop them?

Scroll to see replies

Is it addressed to your name?

Just curious o,o
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, I got a delivery package from DPD with an iPhone 12 inside (which I didn’t order). I’ve been trying to trace the person who ordered it by searching up the postcode but the postcode shows my road, and the sticker tag on the package has my door number. There’s no road/street name mentioned on the package, just a name, door number and postcode, what should I do? If this is a scam, what can I do to stop them?

bit odd, surely it needed to be signed for and they didn't just post it through the letterbox??
Don't search for the person who is meant to have it that isn't your problem and could cost you to send it. You need to contact DPD or apple (providing they sent it) and one of them should arrange collection of it.
Reply 3
bit odd, surely it needed to be signed for and they didn't just post it through the letterbox??
Don't search for the person who is meant to have it that isn't your problem and could cost you to send it. You need to contact DPD or apple (providing they sent it) and one of them should arrange collection of it.

Yes i ordered a hat last week from eBay so my mum signed the package thinking that it was my hat but it turned out to be the phone.
Reply 4
There's a scam. I can't remember how it works but there is definitely a phone scam. Google it. They send a phone to your house and then say its been sent to the wrong address. They get you to give them the phone and somehow you pay for it. I can't quite remember.
Reply 5
Original post by Callicious
Is it addressed to your name?

Just curious o,o

No it’s addressed to an Indian persons name, not anyone’s in my family
No it’s addressed to an Indian persons name, not anyone’s in my family

okay well to be safe dont give the company who sent it to you your address, contact DPD and it will be their problem. Also obviously dont pay for it to be sent anywhere
Reply 7
Original post by Plain1
There's a scam. I can't remember how it works but there is definitely a phone scam. Google it. They send a phone to your house and then say its been sent to the wrong address. They get you to give them the phone and somehow you pay for it. I can't quite remember.

The phone wasn’t addressed to anyone in my family though, just an Indian persons name
The phone wasn’t addressed to anyone in my family though, just an Indian persons name

your mum shouldn't have signed for it then...
I yes, it's mine. Snap me an email and I'll send you my Address so I can receive it ASAP
okay well to be safe dont give the company who sent it to you your address, contact DPD and it will be their problem. Also obviously dont pay for it to be sent anywhere

Should I check my bank account balance just to make sure it’s not a scam? What else can I do before I contact DPD?
your mum shouldn't have signed for it then...

I ordered a hat last week from eBay so my mum signed for the package thinking that it was my hat, but it turned out to be a phone
Guys I really don’t know what to do, how can I return the phone? It says that the provider is EE. Should I contact them first?
Guys I really don’t know what to do, how can I return the phone? It says that the provider is EE. Should I contact them first?

just dont do anything with the phone and see if you get contacted by someone and go from there
I ordered a hat last week from eBay so my mum signed for the package thinking that it was my hat, but it turned out to be a phone

Yes but your mum would have known it wasn't for you, given the name on the front wasn't yours
Yes but your mum would have known it wasn't for you, given the name on the front wasn't yours

The man was holding the package before my mum signed it so she didn’t see the name on the package until she went back into the house. As soon as she realised it’s not anyone’s name in my family, the courier drove off straight away for some reason
Reply 16

There's a good chance its a scam seeing as though there's an iPhone postal scam going about. Call EE if you know its from them.

how do u know the person is Indian????
Also, I would just contact DPD and tell them why ur mum signed for it and then yh tell them the issue.
The man was holding the package before my mum signed it so she didn’t see the name on the package until she went back into the house. As soon as she realised it’s not anyone’s name in my family, the courier drove off straight away for some reason

Okay well DPD arent going to be happy when you contact them. The literal point of signed/ recorded delivery is to prove it has been delivered and to the correct person, next time she should look at the package before signing/ accepting it.
Original post by 𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒
how do u know the person is Indian????
Also, I would just contact DPD and tell them why ur mum signed for it and then yh tell them the issue.

The name is xxxxx, so I’m quite confident it’s an Indian name. I’ll check my bank balance first before contacting anyone first though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending