The Student Room Group

Confused by admissions

So I want to apply for a foundation year and I’ve been in touch with admissions however they said my subjects do not contain enough science content. They said they will not answer my emails because they have told me already I can’t apply. I’m just a bit confused on the entry requirements.
This is what been written on their website:

We also consider students who have obtained A-levels (or equivalent) at standard entry grades (ABB-AAB), but in subjects inappropriate for direct admission to the MPharm degree. A grade 5 (B) in English Language and Mathematics in GCSE or equivalent will also be required. We will accept C in the Northern Ireland reformed GCSE. In this case applicants will NOT need to meet our widening participation selection criteria.

Applicants with a science-based BTEC National Extended Certificate (Grade D) maybe considered with 2 non-science A-level subjects at Grades A/B. You will also need to meet the GCSE requirements.

My GCSE grades are: 76555544BCC
A LEVEL: D*D*A.
(edited 3 years ago)
Applicants with a science-based BTEC National Extended Certificate (Grade D) maybe considered with 2 non-science A-level subjects at Grades A/B

You are doing two BTECs and one A level - not two A levels and one BTEC.
THAT is why you don't meet the entry requirements. I
Original post by McGinger
Applicants with a science-based BTEC National Extended Certificate (Grade D) maybe considered with 2 non-science A-level subjects at Grades A/B

Oh ok thank you
Original post by McGinger

Should I still submit an application or not? That why they will see my educational background and personal statement etc
Original post by roseflamingo
Should I still submit an application or not? That why they will see my educational background and personal statement etc

There's no point as they've already advised you that you don't meet their entry criteria. You'll just be rejected immediately.

You need to look for courses that will accept 2 x BTECs and 1 x A-Level.

Not to that uni - look elsewhere ...
Original post by Admit-One
There's no point as they've already advised you that you don't meet their entry criteria. You'll just be rejected immediately.

They didn’t say anything about my subjects, they just informed that I do not have enough science content
Original post by Admit-One

Also what’s with the divide between BTEC and A level? Why is it not widely accepted?
Also what’s with the divide between BTEC and A level? Why is it not widely accepted?

As per previous.
A levels in the more competitive unis are considered more academically challenging and are accepted everywhere for every course.
BTECs are accepted in a lot of placers for most courses.
Where you do a combination then it has always been 2 A levels and one BTEC.
They are saying your BTEC doesnt have enough science content.

It would have helped if you had given more detail so we knew what you have what grades and then which uni , course and what grades were involved, then we could see the issue. Almost certainly what has already been mentioned.
Original post by 999tigger
As per previous.
A levels in the more competitive unis are considered more academically challenging and are accepted everywhere for every course.
BTECs are accepted in a lot of placers for most courses.
Where you do a combination then it has always been 2 A levels and one BTEC.
They are saying your BTEC doesnt have enough science content.

It would have helped if you had given more detail so we knew what you have what grades and then which uni , course and what grades were involved, then we could see the issue. Almost certainly what has already been mentioned.

Link has been provided:

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/07958/mpharm-pharmacy-with-a-foundation-year/entry-requirements/#alternative-entry-requirements
Thanks
and what alevels/btecs are you trying to get in with?

BTEC Extended Certificate Applied Science, BTEC Extended Certificate Health and Social Care, A Level Product Design D*D*A. I understand that there is an insufficient amount of science but since it was a foundation year, I thought I could use that to build knowledge.
(edited 3 years ago)
BTEC Extended Certificate Applied Science, BTEC Extended Certificate Health and Social Care, A Level Product Design D*D*A. I understand that there is an insufficient amount of science but since it was a foundation year, I thought I could use that to build knowledge.

Its their discretion. I had a look and they dont describe your situation, but they do allow for a diploma (equiv to 2 A levels) and an A level.
On reading the descriptions then its clear they want 2 A levels or equivalent in science, hence you only really have one and a bit.
As has been said before you need to look at other foundation courses to see if you can meet their criteria or fast track an A level or do an Access course.

If Manchester is your one and only plus you get those grades then contact the course organiser and ask them what they will accept for you to be able to meet their entrance requirements.
(edited 3 years ago)
Its their discretion. I had a look and they dont describe your situation, but they do allow for a diploma (equiv to 2 A levels) and an A level.
On reading the descriptions then its clear they want 2 A levels or equivalent in science, hence you only really have one and a bit.
As has been said before you need to look at other foundation courses to see if you can meet their criteria or fast track an A level or do an Access course.

Thanks, I appreciate it. As it is a foundation year, I thought entry requirements would differ to a main degree? I just thought that because they mentioned that they also consider students with inappropriate subjects, I thought I would have a chance. I do have things such as personal statement to express my interest etc
Thanks, I appreciate it. As it is a foundation year, I thought entry requirements would differ to a main degree? I just thought that because they mentioned that they also consider students with inappropriate subjects, I thought I would have a chance. I do have things such as personal statement to express my interest etc

Having looked at both for you the direct entry degree has far higher requirements.
They have considered you and it wasnt enough. It is their discretion.
Obviously you should have sorted this out at the time of starting Y12, but you cant change that so look forward.

1. Find other unis that might accept you.
2. Take a remedial step to bring your qualifications within accpetable entrance requirements.
3. I tend to be against foiundation years as they are expensive and use up valuable finance, which is limited.
Having looked at both for you the direct entry degree has far higher requirements.
They have considered you and it wasnt enough. It is their discretion.
Obviously you should have sorted this out at the time of starting Y12, but you cant change that so look forward.

1. Find other unis that might accept you.
2. Take a remedial step to bring your qualifications within accpetable entrance requirements.
3. I tend to be against foiundation years as they are expensive and use up valuable finance, which is limited.

Foundation years are not the best but it’s the only way for me to get onto a degree that I like. I’m currently on a gap year because I’ve been through the ucas process before and had to withdraw because I didn’t like my uni options and decided to reapply, Hence why I’m asking about it. They have an interview stage as well.
Foundation years are not the best but it’s the only way for me to get onto a degree that I like. I’m currently on a gap year because I’ve been through the ucas process before and had to withdraw because I didn’t like my uni options and decided to reapply, Hence why I’m asking about it. They have an interview stage as well.

Your life your choice.
Your life your choice.

I just don’t want to waste an application as I’m only allowed one.
I just don’t want to waste an application as I’m only allowed one.

Well you cna avoid mistakes by doing research and speaking to your potentials beforehand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending