The Student Room Group

HSPS, History, History and Politics or International Relations

Which degree is better, HSPS, History, History and Politics or International Relations?
politics and IR (and if together it's even better, combined degree) but don't do history it's a pointless degree
Original post by arisamalao59
Which degree is better, HSPS, History, History and Politics or International Relations?

History. Just to contradict the above poster, not out of genuine disagreement but to suggest the rather aimless nature of your question.
Original post by Gracetoameh
politics and IR (and if together it's even better, combined degree) but don't do history it's a pointless degree

Please ignore this.

History, English and a whole raft of other Humanities degrees are VERY worth doing.
The 'brain training' you get is valuable in a thousand eventual careers.
And if that is your subject, the one that makes your heart soar - then that is reason enough to do it.

Depends on a) what you enjoy, b) why you want to go to University, c) what you mean by 'better'.

Choosing a degree subject : https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/choosing-a-course/help-i-dont-know-what-course-to-choose-what-do-i-do
How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Original post by McGinger
Please ignore this.

History, English and a whole raft of other Humanities degrees are VERY worth doing.
The 'brain training' you get is valuable in a thousand eventual careers.
And if that is your subject, the one that makes your heart soar - then that is reason enough to do it.

I do kind of agree with you. Of course if he/she really enjoys history/ english then they should definitely go for t. But what I meant is that in term of careers and salaries, politics and IR are better.

But what I meant is that in term of careers and salaries, politics and IR are better.

Got any evidence of that? Source?
Or is it just 'I assume'?
Original post by McGinger
Got any evidence of that? Source?
Or is it just 'I assume'?

Yes, literally just look up the salaries and types of jobs for IR and politcs degrees and for history and english degrees.
You seem so offended calm down lmao
Yes, literally just look up the salaries and types of jobs for IR and politcs degrees and for history and english degrees.

Job adverts dont state 'must have a IR and Politics' degree - they might say relevant degree but that is not the same thing, and for many jobs any social science would be relevant. And since when has success/happy life been measured only in 'salary'. What a sad way to evaluate the value of a degree, or a job, or a life.
studying for a degree for a minimum of 3/4 years then ending up with a very low salary and a lot of debt is gonna make ur life miserable even if you enjoy the subject/job.
When choosing a degree, you shouldn't just focus on whether you like it or not. You should also consider things like employability (e.g. some people study archaelolgy/psychology etc and end up unemployed for months/years, and i know many people like that) , salary, if there are job for the degree in your local area (e.g. if you study law then you are mostly likely gonna have to live in a big city because there aren't many law firms in town and rural areas), and other factors.
Idk how old you are, but I guess you are a teenager or something because you are not thinking logically ;(
Original post by ageshallnot
History. Just to contradict the above poster, not out of genuine disagreement but to suggest the rather aimless nature of your question.

May I ask what makes my question aimless?

What about History and Politics as a combined degree, as offered in Oxbridge?
May I ask what makes my question aimless?

There are no criteria by which to judge. Define "better".
Original post by ageshallnot
There are no criteria by which to judge. Define "better".

Employment and salary
Politics and International Relations

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending