The Student Room Group

GCSE BIOLOGY - Cell division (any help appreciated) :)

Heres the question:
A student prepares a microscope slide with cells from a plant shoot and counts the number of cells he can see in the field of view. He calculates that 17% of the cells are in Stage 3 of the cell cycle. If 3 cells are in stage 3 of the cell cycle, calculate the total number of cells that the student can see?

How would you do this? please help!! D:
I am pretty sure the answer is 18

3 (cells) ÷ 0.17 = 17.647...

Round that up to 18

if you do the inverse to check using 18 as total cells

18 × 0.17 = 3. 06 which is close enough to 3
thank you so much, that's what i got too! if you don't mind, can I ask you a few more questions? please?
sure
Reply 4
Original post by kittymityyy
thank you so much, that's what i got too! if you don't mind, can I ask you a few more questions? please?

Hi,
I am able to answer some questions if you want
:smile:
Original post by emma963
Hi,
I am able to answer some questions if you want
:smile:

Thank u so much! here is the question and my answers. are they correct?? :smile:

A body cell of a cat has 18 pairs pf chromosomes that control characteristics, plus one pair that determines the sex of the cat. Body cells divide by a process called mitosis.

a) state how many new daughter cells are formed when one of these cells divide by mitosis? 2 new daughter cells

b) state how many chromosomes each new cat cell will contain after mitosis? 38 pairs
a) Correct

b) Still 19 pairs. Mitosis means the daughter and the orginal parent cell are identical. The question asks for how many chromosome in EACH not total
Reply 7
Original post by kittymityyy
Thank u so much! here is the question and my answers. are they correct?? :smile:

A body cell of a cat has 18 pairs pf chromosomes that control characteristics, plus one pair that determines the sex of the cat. Body cells divide by a process called mitosis.

a) state how many new daughter cells are formed when one of these cells divide by mitosis? 2 new daughter cells

b) state how many chromosomes each new cat cell will contain after mitosis? 38 pairs

A) yes, mitosis produces two genetically identical daughter cells
B) before mitosis there are 19 pairs (18+1)
After mitosis there are 19 pairs in each new cell.
After mitosis there are 38 individual chromosomes.
In both cells there are 38 pairs (19*2)
In each cell there is 38 chromosomes (19 pairs)
oh right! i didn't realise i put 38 pairs. i meant to write 38 chromosomes. thanks!!

Original post by emma963
A) yes, mitosis produces two genetically identical daughter cells
B) before mitosis there are 19 pairs (18+1)
After mitosis there are 19 pairs in each new cell.
After mitosis there are 38 individual chromosomes.
In both cells there are 38 pairs (19*2)
In each cell there is 38 chromosomes (19 pairs)
All cool, if you ever have anymore questions feel free to post them here :smile:
Original post by Pinezapples
All cool, if you ever have anymore questions feel free to post them here :smile:

thats so sweet of you! thank u so much. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest