The Student Room Group

How is A Level Geography (AQA) urgent!!

Hi, i'm a year 12 a level student who currently takes History, English combined and Product design, however i really don't like English due to my teachers, and that i am finding the content boring. I know it is quite late but i think if i beg (lol) i will still be able to change 1 subject. Any thoughts on geography - is it hard? what kind of stuff do u go over? any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by KingLizard
Hi, i'm a year 12 a level student who currently takes History, English combined and Product design, however i really don't like English due to my teachers, and that i am finding the content boring. I know it is quite late but i think if i beg (lol) i will still be able to change 1 subject. Any thoughts on geography - is it hard? what kind of stuff do u go over? any help would be appreciated.

Don’t know about Geography however I do know it’s possible to change subjects at this stage as I am going through similar ....
Reply 2
Original post by Raynerm
Don’t know about Geography however I do know it’s possible to change subjects at this stage as I am going through similar ....

Hi, thanks for the reply! have u enquired with ur head of sixth about changing subjects and if so what did they say :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by KingLizard
Hi, thanks for the reply! have u enquired with ur head of sixth about changing subjects and if so what did they say :smile:

Sorry for my late reply. Yes I have. My school have been really supportive and have said I can change. The restriction of choice is what is available on timetable blocks and class capacity
Reply 4
Thank you! If I may ask what did u change to? :smile:
It will depend a bit on what topics your teachers pick. Generally, it is basically just GCSE with more in-depth content and longer questions. Once you know the content (the content isn't difficult, just quite a lot of it) and know how to answer the questions it is fairly easy.

The topics are:

Water and carbon cycles

either Hot desert systems and landscapes or Coastal systems and landscapes or Glacial systems and landscapes

either Hazards or Ecosystems under stress

Global systems and global governance

Changing places

either Contemporary urban environments or Population and the environment or Resource security

You also have a coursework assessment where you will carry out research on a topic. The topic has to be linked in some way to the topics that are taught. It is similar to a science report where you do background, method, results, analysis, conclusion, evaluation etv.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Raynerm
Sorry for my late reply. Yes I have. My school have been really supportive and have said I can change. The restriction of choice is what is available on timetable blocks and class capacity

I haven’t changed as yet , like you currently considering ....
Reply 7
Original post by Raynerm
I haven’t changed as yet , like you currently considering ....

Okay thanks I appreciate it, all this stress is doing me no good :frown: !
Reply 8
Original post by College_Student7
It will depend a bit on what topics your teachers pick. Generally, it is basically just GCSE with more in-depth content and longer questions. Once you know the content (the content isn't difficult, just quite a lot of it) and know how to answer the questions it is fairly easy.

The topics are:

Water and carbon cycles

either Hot desert systems and landscapes or Coastal systems and landscapes or Glacial systems and landscapes

either Hazards or Ecosystems under stress

Global systems and global governance

Changing places

either Contemporary urban environments or Population and the environment or Resource security

You also have a coursework assessment where you will carry out research on a topic. The topic has to be linked in some way to the topics that are taught. It is similar to a science report where you do background, method, results, analysis, conclusion, evaluation etv.

Thank you very much! Very helpful indeed thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest