The Student Room Group

Quality tools - engineering (statistical analysis of data)

I’m an engineering student looking for help with understanding what quality tools I can use to analyse some data. I am comparing (Mutliple) defects between 2 materials over several weeks, and need an approach to compare the 2 materials to determine which one is associated with more defects overall.
Would a control chart be suitable for this?
Thanks for your help!
(edited 3 years ago)
Have moved this to the engineering forum for you :smile:

@Smack do you have any advice?
Original post by CoolCavy
Have moved this to the engineering forum for you :smile:

@Smack do you have any advice?

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Engineering20
I’m an engineering student looking for help with understanding what quality tools I can use to analyse some data. I am comparing (Mutliple) defects between 2 materials over several weeks, and need an approach to compare the 2 materials to determine which one is associated with more defects overall.
Would a control chart be suitable for this?
Thanks for your help!

Do you have more information on the defects, material or components? I don't fully understand what you're asking. But if you've been taught control charts, then it's likely that that'll be the tool you're expected to use.
Original post by Smack
Do you have more information on the defects, material or components? I don't fully understand what you're asking. But if you've been taught control charts, then it's likely that that'll be the tool you're expected to use.

A company are manufacturing a pre-existing product using a new material. A quality report is included in the question and shows weekly defects (ie cracking, scratches etc), for products made with the old material and the new material also. I need to use quality tools to determine if there are more defects associated with the new material and if the new material is susceptible to cracking. I’m not 100% sure If using a control chart is the correct approach as there were many other quality tools that were talked about in the lecture. Any advise? 😁
A company are manufacturing a pre-existing product using a new material. A quality report is included in the question and shows weekly defects (ie cracking, scratches etc), for products made with the old material and the new material also. I need to use quality tools to determine if there are more defects associated with the new material and if the new material is susceptible to cracking. I’m not 100% sure If using a control chart is the correct approach as there were many other quality tools that were talked about in the lecture. Any advise? 😁

Read the entire question again and then highlight key words. Research quality tools online and make brief notes.

No, sorry, in that case I'm not sure then.
Original post by Smack
No, sorry, in that case I'm not sure then.

Thanks anyway! :smile:
I think you need to explain engineering quality tools and how they are useful.

Quick Reply

Latest