The Student Room Group

chemistry olympiad

Hi guys,
i hope to take part in the chem olympiad in January, if i am able to convince my teacher to enter me for it (im year 12). If anyone has been successful in reaching stage 2 of the competition, could you give me some advice please? did you dive into content beyond A2?

Scroll to see replies

Lol youre lucky you actually want to do it and want to convince your teacher. Im in year 13 and my teacher entered the whole class without even asking if we wanna do it😒
Reply 2
Original post by Nono2003
Lol youre lucky you actually want to do it and want to convince your teacher. Im in year 13 and my teacher entered the whole class without even asking if we wanna do it😒

seriously? I would be so so so grateful if I were you!! Nono, may I ask how much of A2 you have completed? Do you think a year 12 who has self taught AS and A2 would have a good chance?
Original post by coolchem
seriously? I would be so so so grateful if I were you!! Nono, may I ask how much of A2 you have completed? Do you think a year 12 who has self taught AS and A2 would have a good chance?

Im only annoyed cos its in our PPE week! I did it last year and it was SOOOO HARD. Half of it was organic chemistry. We've done like a quarter of a2 already
Reply 4
Original post by Nono2003
Im only annoyed cos its in our PPE week! I did it last year and it was SOOOO HARD. Half of it was organic chemistry. We've done like a quarter of a2 already

well its only a couple hours, cheer up! How are you finding a2? I remember it was a noticeable jump from AS, especiially organic where you need to memorise all the reaction pathways. How does your school perform in chem olympiads generally? Do people manage to get silvers/ golds?
Do the lower6th Cambridge chem challenge. Olympiad is aimed at year 13 students.
Reply 6
Original post by mintchocchip
Do the lower6th Cambridge chem challenge. Olympiad is aimed at year 13 students.

I hope to do that in some months time too. I really want to get a gold for the olympiad. I literally spent half of lockdown covering AS and A2 content and the other half doing As for bio and math :frown: Feels like this would be a good use for my knowledge
well its only a couple hours, cheer up! How are you finding a2? I remember it was a noticeable jump from AS, especiially organic where you need to memorise all the reaction pathways. How does your school perform in chem olympiads generally? Do people manage to get silvers/ golds?

A2 is kind of challenging tbh but im sure its duable. I just hate spectroscopy it gets on my nerves. Nobody got an award for the lower 6th but i think last year 3 of the year 13s got a silver or maybe a gold, im not sure. Olympiads really make you think outside the box so theyre very tricky.
I hope to do that in some months time too. I really want to get a gold for the olympiad. I literally spent half of lockdown covering AS and A2 content and the other half doing As for bio and math :frown: Feels like this would be a good use for my knowledge

Give it a go! I got a gold last year in L6 chem challenge and will do the Olympiad in Feb. And even if you don’t get a gold in the Olympiad this year you can always do it next year too. Tbh it really depends on the year bc I found the 2019 one really easy compared to the previous years (I didn’t cheat, despite the examiner report basically accusing us all of cheating haha, I just genuinely found it significantly easier).
But I’d defo recommend doing the L6 challenge as I found it was good on my personal statement to talk about different approaches and applying knowledge, all that bs :smile:
Reply 9
Give it a go! I got a gold last year in L6 chem challenge and will do the Olympiad in Feb. And even if you don’t get a gold in the Olympiad this year you can always do it next year too. Tbh it really depends on the year bc I found the 2019 one really easy compared to the previous years (I didn’t cheat, despite the examiner report basically accusing us all of cheating haha, I just genuinely found it significantly easier).
But I’d defo recommend doing the L6 challenge as I found it was good on my personal statement to talk about different approaches and applying knowledge, all that bs :smile:

Yes, I will definitely try and do the c3l6! But I can't believe you like mint and chocolate. I think there are better combinations no offence
Yes, I will definitely try and do the c3l6! But I can't believe you like mint and chocolate. I think there are better combinations no offence

Lol
Reply 11
Lol

I would say you should change your username to something cooler (hehe), but mintchoccip is pretty cool, though not in that way
I would say you should change your username to something cooler (hehe), but mintchoccip is pretty cool, though not in that way

Thanks for the advice lmao
Reply 13
Thanks for the advice lmao

choco, how's your prep going???? I think I've covered most of A2 chem, prolly gonna start wading through pastpapers from the 10th.
choco, how's your prep going???? I think I've covered most of A2 chem, prolly gonna start wading through pastpapers from the 10th.

Um I’m not preparing rly, we’ve done most of the physical and organic content. I do some of the papers when I’m bored. I have other things to think about rn
Reply 15
Um I’m not preparing rly, we’ve done most of the physical and organic content. I do some of the papers when I’m bored. I have other things to think about rn

Ah, I see. Are you aiming for medicine by any chance?
Ah, I see. Are you aiming for medicine by any chance?

Nooooo! I’d get fired on the first day! Defo not for me ha
Reply 17
Nooooo! I’d get fired on the first day! Defo not for me ha

oh ahah, why not? I'd imagine you are a cool and sweet person!
oh ahah, why not? I'd imagine you are a cool and sweet person!

Can’t face being a junior doctor and doing all the dirty work and having to work extra hours without getting paid. I’d get bored after a while and I’d much rather work in a lab doing my own stuff and bossing about my assistants
Reply 19
Can’t face being a junior doctor and doing all the dirty work and having to work extra hours without getting paid. I’d get bored after a while and I’d much rather work in a lab doing my own stuff and bossing about my assistants

ha, I'd probably get bored bossing people around!

Quick Reply

Latest