The Student Room Group

SFE Migrant Worker - unemployed due to COVID 19

I have been made involuntarily redundant from the 2nd of December due to COVID 19.

I had contacted SFE & they said to get a letter from Job Centre Plus. My job centre has been closed since March & I have been searching for alternative employment since March. When my job centre finally got back to me, they said they can’t register me unless I apply for job seekers allowance & due to me being a student I can’t apply for JSA.

I’m due to send SFE a January payslip, but my last payslip is two weeks before January. This is incredibly stressful because I need my maintenance loan to pay my rent, severely struggling to find alternative work as I’ve been searching for the past 8 months to no avail and I’m running low on money 😢😢😢
Reply 1
??
Original post by Fraudchildx
I have been made involuntarily redundant from the 2nd of December due to COVID 19.

I had contacted SFE & they said to get a letter from Job Centre Plus. My job centre has been closed since March & I have been searching for alternative employment since March. When my job centre finally got back to me, they said they can’t register me unless I apply for job seekers allowance & due to me being a student I can’t apply for JSA.

I’m due to send SFE a January payslip, but my last payslip is two weeks before January. This is incredibly stressful because I need my maintenance loan to pay my rent, severely struggling to find alternative work as I’ve been searching for the past 8 months to no avail and I’m running low on money 😢😢😢

Hi, you need to be working to receive Migrant Worker funding. If you can provide evidence to show you were made involuntary unemployed then our assessors can look into this further.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, you need to be working to receive Migrant Worker funding. If you can provide evidence to show you were made involuntary unemployed then our assessors can look into this further.
Thanks, Isaac

I have a letter confirming my redundancy, but I want to make sure to take the necessary measures to receive my funding as a lot depends on it. I want there to be a guarantee because I already have so much anxiety over it.

I am already aware that I need to be employed hence why I am asking in the first place, but surely the COVID 19 pandemic is a good reason why it’s so tough to find alternative work? As a student I cannot get Universal Credit or JSA. So I’m very dependent on my maintenance loan.

I want to know what exactly I have to send to be considered for the loan. Whether it be rejections, job applications etc. Do I have to send screenshots of those? Do I get a letter from my previous manager or HR stating that I was made redundant because of the pandemic? How long should the cover letter be? I have a substantial amount of evidence showing that I have been searching for employment.

Thank you for replying.
Reply 4
??
I have a letter confirming my redundancy, but I want to make sure to take the necessary measures to receive my funding as a lot depends on it. I want there to be a guarantee because I already have so much anxiety over it.

I am already aware that I need to be employed hence why I am asking in the first place, but surely the COVID 19 pandemic is a good reason why it’s so tough to find alternative work? As a student I cannot get Universal Credit or JSA. So I’m very dependent on my maintenance loan.

I want to know what exactly I have to send to be considered for the loan. Whether it be rejections, job applications etc. Do I have to send screenshots of those? Do I get a letter from my previous manager or HR stating that I was made redundant because of the pandemic? How long should the cover letter be? I have a substantial amount of evidence showing that I have been searching for employment.

Thank you for replying.

I'd advise sending all of those and any evidence you have that shows you were involuntarily made unemployed. I can't guarantee you will continue receiving the funding but the Migrant Worker team will review your circumstances.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Another question, why is the COVID 19 pandemic not being treated as a valid reason to receive funding? Especially if the migrant student involuntarily lost their employment. I’m sure that there are many people in my position too, searching for alternative employment & being unsuccessful.

Also since I have been in employment up until December, wouldn’t it be okay to send that evidence as well as the job seeking evidence to receive my January instalment? Especially since my last payslip is two weeks before January in my case.
Another question, why is the COVID 19 pandemic not being treated as a valid reason to receive funding? Especially if the migrant student involuntarily lost their employment. I’m sure that there are many people in my position too, searching for alternative employment & being unsuccessful.

Also since I have been in employment up until December, wouldn’t it be okay to send that evidence as well as the job seeking evidence to receive my January instalment? Especially since my last payslip is two weeks before January in my case.

We do have measures in place to help people affected by the pandemic https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1836/ssin-06-20-2020-21-funding-arrangements-for-students-impacted-by-covid-19-v20.pdf

For Migrant Worker applicants, if you can provide evidence to show you were made involuntarily unemployed then it will also be looked at.
Do you mean December 2019? or do you mean you are going to be working until December next month?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
I’m going to be working up until December next month. I’m referring to my next maintenance loan instalment which will be due January 2021. I will be unable to send a January dated payslip due to my redundancy. So what I’m essentially asking is if I will still be able to get my January payment if I send all the evidence of my job seeking as well as my payslips dated up until December 2020 that’ll prove that I’ve been in employment during the academic year.

Also that PDF that you linked doesn’t have any information on migrant workers so I’m unsure whether it applies to me :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m going to be working up until December next month. I’m referring to my next maintenance loan instalment which will be due January 2021. I will be unable to send a January dated payslip due to my redundancy. So what I’m essentially asking is if I will still be able to get my January payment if I send all the evidence of my job seeking as well as my payslips dated up until December 2020 that’ll prove that I’ve been in employment during the academic year.

Also that PDF that you linked doesn’t have any information on migrant workers so I’m unsure whether it applies to me :frown:

I just sent that to show we have measures in place.

The guidance we have for Migrant Workers who have been involuntarily unemployed is as follows(this is the only guidance we have regarding this):

Students who have become involuntarily unemployed should register with the relevant unemployment office (usually the Jobcentre/DWP) and may continue to qualify as a Migrant Worker under the retention of work status rules, these accounts will be reviewed on a case by case basis using guidelines provided by the Government.

Workers will still need to provide us with the standard evidence requirements (Previous contract, pay slips etc).

We understand applicants are having troubles registering with the Job centre/DWP so we advise sending as much evidence as you can and the assessors will review your case.
We can't guarantee you will be eligible for the January payment.

Thanks, Isaac
Hello, thankfully I finally found a job! Since I’ve to send SFE a January payslip what do I send? My old job contract terminates on the 2nd of December & my new job starts this week.
Hello, thankfully I finally found a job! Since I’ve to send SFE a January payslip what do I send? My old job contract terminates on the 2nd of December & my new job starts this week.

Hi, glad to hear this. Please send your P45, new contract and at least one new payslip. Evidence can be uploaded online.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending