The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Choices

Hi, posting this on behalf of my brother who is currently in Year 11 studying for his GCSEs.

He is expected to achieve all grades 8 or 9 in his GCSE exams. This includes the subjects he wants to pursue in A Level (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French).

We've applied for Westminster School, Westminster Harris and Highgate School, so far. Now we are looking for any state schools that are good but less competitive for 'safe' options. We are considering Ashmole Academy sixth form, would you say it's any good?

Any other good London sixth forms you recommend? I've been out of the school system for a long time now, ever since I finished university but just want to help him out in any way I can :smile:

Thanks all!
Original post by Cryptic_
Hi, posting this on behalf of my brother who is currently in Year 11 studying for his GCSEs.

He is expected to achieve all grades 8 or 9 in his GCSE exams. This includes the subjects he wants to pursue in A Level (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French).

We've applied for Westminster School, Westminster Harris and Highgate School, so far. Now we are looking for any state schools that are good but less competitive for 'safe' options. We are considering Ashmole Academy sixth form, would you say it's any good?

Any other good London sixth forms you recommend? I've been out of the school system for a long time now, ever since I finished university but just want to help him out in any way I can :smile:

Thanks all!

I hope this is of some use but basically a friend of mine started had started ashmole but they didn’t like it (I just blanked out and don’t remember her reasons behind it!) and switched to Woodhouse college instead and really liked it. I’m not sure if you looked into woodhouse but many of the students loved it there and have said that the teachers are amazing. Also, from this years situation, the college showed everyone that they would fight for their students and try to get the best possible grades for their students.

Other school suggestions would be:
LAE (London Academy of Excellence)
Brampton Manor

Since he is expected to get grades 8/9, I’m assuming that he would getting minimum grade 7’s (hopefully), so LAE would be good as a back up as most of their subjects require grade 7 in order for them to study it. I believe the only subject that requires a higher grade (of grade 8) is maths when choosing to study further maths - as your brother isn’t planning on studying that, he should be alright

I hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Anon12345678987
I hope this is of some use but basically a friend of mine started had started ashmole but they didn’t like it (I just blanked out and don’t remember her reasons behind it!) and switched to Woodhouse college instead and really liked it. I’m not sure if you looked into woodhouse but many of the students loved it there and have said that the teachers are amazing. Also, from this years situation, the college showed everyone that they would fight for their students and try to get the best possible grades for their students.

Other school suggestions would be:
LAE (London Academy of Excellence)
Brampton Manor

Since he is expected to get grades 8/9, I’m assuming that he would getting minimum grade 7’s (hopefully), so LAE would be good as a back up as most of their subjects require grade 7 in order for them to study it. I believe the only subject that requires a higher grade (of grade 8) is maths when choosing to study further maths - as your brother isn’t planning on studying that, he should be alright

I hope that helps!

Thank you! He says he doesn't want to apply for Woodhouse for personal reasons. LAE sounds interesting but it's in East London and it's a bit dodgy there. Since he'll be travelling alone to and from we don't want any unnecessary complications with crime and gangs and all. Brampton seems to be in East London too. We are avoiding East and South London. North London or Central would be ideal for us.

Thank you very much for your suggestions! Highly appreciate it even though they weren't the ideal locations for us.
Reply 3
Can anyone tell me whether City of London Academy in Bermondsey, Southwark is any good?
Thank you! He says he doesn't want to apply for Woodhouse for personal reasons. LAE sounds interesting but it's in East London and it's a bit dodgy there. Since he'll be travelling alone to and from we don't want any unnecessary complications with crime and gangs and all. Brampton seems to be in East London too. We are avoiding East and South London. North London or Central would be ideal for us.

Thank you very much for your suggestions! Highly appreciate it even though they weren't the ideal locations for us.

There are two LAE locations, one in Stratford and one next to the Tottenham Hotspur stadium (it's also sponsored by them). By the looks of it it seems like an exceptional sixth form college and the results are also good. However it was only opened up a few years back, but I think your brother should consider it.

I was referring to LAE Tottenham! So you should check it out! My cousin goes there and she loves it!
hey also applying to highgate, you should apply to merchant taylors, habs boys, city of london school, latymer . All very good and very accadmeic. i am on route to achieveing mostly 9s and a few 8s as my predicted grades a a nw london private school, but honestly i would try for habs boys , supposed to be very good.

Thanks all!

London Academy of Excellence is really good, as long as he is prepared to balance extracurricular activities with his studying. They made me do a lot of extra activities in yr 12.
i really want nlcs ,highgate or city, they r my top three choices1
Original post by Banechann
London Academy of Excellence is really good, as long as he is prepared to balance extracurricular activities with his studying. They made me do a lot of extra activities in yr 12.

Hi, im looking to apply to lae tottenham. What are the chances of me getting in with around 7 grade 7s, 1 grade 8 , 1 grade 6 and 1 grade 5. (looking to do chem (predicted 7/8), biology ( predicted 7) and economics (maths 7)
How did you balance doing 4 A levels and doing extracurricular activities?? And do they do Netball there?
Reply 11
Original post by http_briii
How did you balance doing 4 A levels and doing extracurricular activities?? And do they do Netball there?

Hi. Who is your question intended for? If it's me, my brother hasn't started sixth form yet. He is due to start in September 2021.

But from my own experience at sixth form, almost 7 years ago, it is doable. Taking 4 A Levels is done by the majority of pupils in Yr 12 but you CAN absolutely take 3 if you feel it is in your best interest. You need to set aside an adequate amount of time for all 4 subjects so that none get neglected. But you also don't want to overdo things to the extent of damaging your own mental health. Be prepared and print out mark schemes, question papers, know exactly what topics are tested for your subject and know when your exams are so you prepare in advance. It's just a habit that you will slowly get used to. But putting aside a few hours of study time for your A Levels, everyday and keeping at it is the best way to go. Personally, I didn't do any extracurricular activities. I didn't like sports and I didn't like the activities my sixth form offered. However, a good suggestion, if your sixth form offers it, is taking an activity or club that relates to the course you want to take at university. For example, if you want to take Journalism, see if your school has a magazine or newsletter you could help out with. Or a science club if you want to do science.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Studen135790
Hi, im looking to apply to lae tottenham. What are the chances of me getting in with around 7 grade 7s, 1 grade 8 , 1 grade 6 and 1 grade 5. (looking to do chem (predicted 7/8), biology ( predicted 7) and economics (maths 7)

If you get a 7 in the four subjects your choosing for a-levels then you should be fine as long as you get a conditional offer after your interview. I know they get extra strict on grades when someone without a conditional offer shows up on results day. I currently go to Laet and I would 100% recommend. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Original post by sayana16
If you get a 7 in the four subjects your choosing for a-levels then you should be fine as long as you get a conditional offer after your interview. I know they get extra strict on grades when someone without a conditional offer shows up on results day. I currently go to Laet and I would 100% recommend. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I have a few questions if you’re able to answer, I have an offer to go laet and am deciding if its the best place for me.
1. If you miss the grade requirement for one of your subjects, will they let you change it for another on results day or would you just not be able to go?
2. Are you allowed to leave the site at breaks?
3. Are there any free periods?
4. Are the teachers really strict? (From your own experience)

Tysm in advance :smile:
Original post by sayana16

Hi I just got accepted to LAET and I have a couple of questions.
How is the support from teachers?
In your experience how does the school help with the transition from gcse to A level?
How do you manage 4 alevels and in some cases people from your school take EPQ's alongside it? (how are you supported in that?)
How diverse it is?
How easy would you say it was for you to settle down and make friends?
Could you detail how it's like socially?
anyone going to haberdashers girls school , highgate or hbs
Original post by sixthformapp
anyone going to haberdashers girls school , highgate or hbs

Is that for 6th form in 2021?
Original post by Marvel_fan
Is that for 6th form in 2021?

yess r u going
Original post by sixthformapp
yess r u going

Yeahhh

Quick Reply

Latest