The Student Room Group

Is 30 push ups and 100 sit ups enough to lose weight

Hi I am wanting to lose a few stone but it isn't coming off and I don't know why. I have been doing push ups and sit ups but it isn't working. Advice please?

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Just doing sit ups and push ups won't work to help you lose weight.You need to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight - this means you need to manage the calories you consume through food and drink alongside the calories you expend through exercise and movement.Starting to increase your activity levels by walking more during the day is a good start and then try out different forms of exercise to find what you enjoy the most (and will therefore be more likely to continue with) - this might be a bit more difficult at the moment in lockdown but there are loads of different workout videos online (youtube or instagram) for you to try out and get a feel for - Joe Wicks 30 minute HIIT workouts might be a good place to start here :smile: Once we are out of lockdown and you have more options then I would highly recommend trying resistance training with weights as this will help you lose weight as well as give you a nice shape.In terms of managing the calorie intake, I can't give too much advice on this without knowing your current eating habits but you essentially want to aim for healthy, balanced meals most of the time - lots of vegetables with main meals, a good source of protein and carbs. I think snacking is usually the place that most people struggle with their diet so if you find you're snacking a lot then make sure you are limiting the higher calorie snacks like crisps, chocolate, sweets etc and opting for healthier snacks. Also there are a lot of empty calories in alcohol so if you're drinking then it might be a good idea to limit this too.This is a very brief overview of managing your calories in vs calories out and quite generalised as I don't know your personal situation but I hope this helps. If you have any other questions then you can find me on Instagram at @gracevsfit and I'll be happy to help you more :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MissesSallyDean
Hi I am wanting to lose a few stone but it isn't coming off and I don't know why. I have been doing push ups and sit ups but it isn't working. Advice please?

No.

In order to lose weight it is pretty simple - don't eat for 3 weeks and I guarantee you will drop to whatever weight you wish you were.

Joking. Don't do that - it will make your fat loss even more difficult.

Make sure you focus on your diet. Very simple rules, especially for regular normal people like you and me who aren't going for 1% bodyfat bodybuilding madness.

Caloric Deficit, Macronutrient balance, Resistance training.

Caloric deficit - easy enough. Cut the crap out of your diet (crisps, soft drink, chocolate, sweets) because they are nothing more than junk calories. A buttload of simple sugar that gives you nothing but a rush for a couple minutes. Start tracking your calories by looking at what you eat. Give it a shot for a couple of weeks and you will see just how much calories you can cut over a month by not eating that extra bag of walkers each day.

Macronutrients - what are they? Carbs, Protein, Fat. Easy fix - high protein, low carbs, regulated fat.
Chicken breasts, lean beef/pork (make sure it is lean, check the labels when you buy them for fat % content), fish - eat these. These should be the staple of your meal. Start off simple with just having a little more of these than you do usually, and when you start seeing results you can get a bit more advanced with juggling portion size based off your daily protein intake.
Carbs - there are some controversy over carbs. Some ppl think they are terrible, some take it as the holy grail of human dietary. Don't over complicate it. Eat your carbs, just less than usual, because these are your primary income of energy. Make sure you go with complex carbs - eg: rice, wholemeal bread, corn etc. Though carbs are the main element you need to control for fat loss, don't cut these too low. Lower your carb intake little by little, ease your body into a low carb diet.
Original post by mk_poii
No.

In order to lose weight it is pretty simple - don't eat for 3 weeks and I guarantee you will drop to whatever weight you wish you were.

Joking. Don't do that - it will make your fat loss even more difficult.

Make sure you focus on your diet. Very simple rules, especially for regular normal people like you and me who aren't going for 1% bodyfat bodybuilding madness.

Caloric Deficit, Macronutrient balance, Resistance training.

Caloric deficit - easy enough. Cut the crap out of your diet (crisps, soft drink, chocolate, sweets) because they are nothing more than junk calories. A buttload of simple sugar that gives you nothing but a rush for a couple minutes. Start tracking your calories by looking at what you eat. Give it a shot for a couple of weeks and you will see just how much calories you can cut over a month by not eating that extra bag of walkers each day.

Macronutrients - what are they? Carbs, Protein, Fat. Easy fix - high protein, low carbs, regulated fat.
Chicken breasts, lean beef/pork (make sure it is lean, check the labels when you buy them for fat % content), fish - eat these. These should be the staple of your meal. Start off simple with just having a little more of these than you do usually, and when you start seeing results you can get a bit more advanced with juggling portion size based off your daily protein intake.
Carbs - there are some controversy over carbs. Some ppl think they are terrible, some take it as the holy grail of human dietary. Don't over complicate it. Eat your carbs, just less than usual, because these are your primary income of energy. Make sure you go with complex carbs - eg: rice, wholemeal bread, corn etc. Though carbs are the main element you need to control for fat loss, don't cut these too low. Lower your carb intake little by little, ease your body into a low carb diet.

Don’t blame carbs
You both typed too much for me to be bothered to read it lol. I only eat fatty foods on the weekend and things like chocolate and cake but in the week I have cut down what i eat and i am not losing i don't understand.

should i upgrade to 200 sit ups then to burn calories?i am willing to put in the hard work :smile:

EDIT. I also plank 3 times a day so i am already working hard to lose it.
(edited 3 years ago)
You both typed too much for me to be bothered to read it lol. I only eat fatty foods on the weekend and things like chocolate and cake but in the week I have cut down what i eat and i am not losing i don't understand.

should i upgrade to 200 sit ups then to burn calories?i am willing to put in the hard work :smile:

EDIT. I also plank 3 times a day so i am already working hard to lose it.

You’re not working hard. You couldn’t even be bothered to read people’s advice. You’ll stay exactly the same, which you deserve.
Doing HIIT workouts online is the best, it’s gets your heart rate up and burns calories
Doing what you’re doing won’t make much difference, cut out healthy snacks and exercise properly more, go for walks. It’s not gonna fall off you but let it be a slow process, it’s a lifestyle change not a quick fix
Original post by Gracef28
Doing what you’re doing won’t make much difference, cut out healthy snacks and exercise properly more, go for walks. It’s not gonna fall off you but let it be a slow process, it’s a lifestyle change not a quick fix

I only eat things like pizza and chocolate two days a week and i diet for the rest
I did this over lockdown 1.0 and lost 3stone over 5 months. It’s slow but you probably have other commitments too, don’t let your goals be everything but just make small changes and it will change your outlook on everything
I only eat things like pizza and chocolate two days a week and i diet for the rest

That’s great, don’t cut out sugary foods completely or else you might binge. If you’ve changed your diet then now you just need to become more active. Those together will be great. Don’t make this about looking good, make this about improving you fitness and health xx
Original post by Gracef28
That’s great, don’t cut out sugary foods completely or else you might binge. If you’ve changed your diet then now you just need to become more active. Those together will be great. Don’t make this about looking good, make this about improving you fitness and health xx

I do go for walks or a slow jog and for energy i have an energy drink or a coke or dr pepper to keep me going when things get tough so i get my sugar in when going for a walk or run
diet comes before exercise when losing weight.
I'll put it short and simple, sugar-free drinks (water is best)
Switch ice-cream to ice-lollies.
Crisps -> baked alternative.
eat 3 meals a day, with little snacking in between.
Forget about 100 sit ups, not cardio.
Original post by Native087
diet comes before exercise when losing weight.
I'll put it short and simple, sugar-free drinks (water is best)
Switch ice-cream to ice-lollies.
Crisps -> baked alternative.
eat 3 meals a day, with little snacking in between.
Forget about 100 sit ups, not cardio.

I will try water instead, I don't eat ice cream, I only have a bag of crisps a day, I do eat 3 meals a day and should I do 200 sit ups then?
I will try water instead, I don't eat ice cream, I only have a bag of crisps a day, I do eat 3 meals a day and should I do 200 sit ups then?

no - stop doing sit ups and stop eating crisps.
Original post by Native087
no - stop doing sit ups and stop eating crisps.

Well what should I do instead then? I need to work out to lose weight obviously. & a bag of crisps only has 200 calories in it.
Wanting to lose weight but won't read what people have said even though they took time out of their day to make your life better?????
Well what should I do instead then? I need to work out to lose weight obviously. & a bag of crisps only has 200 calories in it.

you don't need to work out to lose weight.
You especially don't need to do anaerobic exercises?
If you have your heart set on 'working out' then go for a jog.

Honestly it is easier to forget about exercising for the time being and focus solely on your diet.
The point in exercising FOR weight loss is to burn calories, you're looking at burning 25 calories with your 100 sit ups - when you could just eat less crisps for the same effect.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Wanting to lose weight but won't read what people have said even though they took time out of their day to make your life better?????

They put like a thousand words in their reply and didn't bother to paragraph it so it was hard to read
They put like a thousand words in their reply and didn't bother to paragraph it so it was hard to read

Trust me if you find reading that hard then you won't be able to lose weight and keep it off.

Quick Reply

Latest