The Student Room Group

English Literature - Romeo & Juliet, Unseen Poetry

Hi. I have got my mocks next week, but I haven't had the chance to make any revision materials for Romeo & Juliet and the unseen poetry. Our teacher literally just skimmed through it within a few weeks. If anyone's got any revision materials for Romeo & Juliet, please could you send them to me? Also, please could you send me any revision materials for the unseen poetry and English Language Paper 2?
I'd be very grateful.
Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)
hey! i made these flashcards for my english lit exam in 2019 and got a 9 - i analysed quotes and provided some context i believe. hope this helps!
https://quizlet.com/gb/389303251/gcse-english-literature-aqa-romeo-and-juliet-flash-cards/
Reply 2
Original post by yardbirdsuite
hey! i made these flashcards for my english lit exam in 2019 and got a 9 - i analysed quotes and provided some context i believe. hope this helps!
https://quizlet.com/gb/389303251/gcse-english-literature-aqa-romeo-and-juliet-flash-cards/

Thank you so much!
Would you have any essays that you've done? It'd be helpful I could see the detail needed and the type of essays that get grade 9s.

Would you have any revision materials for English Language Paper 2?
Original post by md4166518
Hi. I have got my mocks next week, but I haven't had the chance to make any revision materials for Romeo & Juliet and the unseen poetry. Our teacher literally just skimmed through it within a few weeks. If anyone's got any revision materials for Romeo & Juliet, please could you send them to me? Also, please could you send me any revision materials for the unseen poetry and English Language Paper 2?
I'd be very grateful.
Thank you.

Hi there, see if this post helps you - it's a detailed analysis on how love is presented in 'R&J' (with key ideas and quotes included): hyperbolit.com/2020/08/22/what-romeo-and-juliet-shows-us-about-love/

As for revision on unseen poetry, here's a short general guide on how to analyse a poem (I use Blake's 'London' to illustrate): https://hyperbolit.com/2020/07/04/how-to-write-literary-analysis-well-its-not-as-hard-as-you-may-think/ Or I have a video talking about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNKjCdLWsI

Make sure that you're clear on the most commonly used literary devices, too, so know your simile from metaphor, symbol from motif, personification from anthropomorphism, paradox from oxymoron, alliteration from assonance etc etc. Rhyme and rhythm (and meter if you're more advanced) are also important. Oh and be sure to cover form and structure in your analysis as well. More resources here: https://hyperbolit.com/category/poetry/

Hope it all helps.
Thank you so much!
Would you have any essays that you've done? It'd be helpful I could see the detail needed and the type of essays that get grade 9s.

Would you have any revision materials for English Language Paper 2?

Unfortunately no! As an A-Level student, I've been taught that my GCSE technique was completely wrong but that doesn't mean you shouldn't stick by that now for your exams. My main advice is that context helps SO SO SO much! My question in the GCSE was the presentation of love in the play, and I linked some of mu quotes about light to the energy of the sun and how that is demonstrative of their love for example - finding context that can be linked to your quotes makes your analysis so much easier and also impressive and detailed! Also, make sure you use topic sentences - they make all the difference. Solidifying your confidence with structure means that all you have to do before the exam is simply remember quotes. I spent barely any time revising English Literature and I still did well for this reason only. Start now on making flashcards and your job will be much easier.

If I remember rightly, in paper 2 you have sources and stuff don't you? Practice reading sources you find online, and make sure you understand the difference between assertion and facts. This will make all the difference for picking up marks. The rest is self-explanatory, constantly refer to the source when writing and make sure you are using comparative phrases for the question that requires it - it is crucial for evaluation! Finally, for the final section, structure is very key. Regardless of the topic you are given to write about, making sure you write it in the correct format is what gives you simple marks that some people tend to lose. For example, if you are to write a letter, consider adding 'details' in the right hand corner, etc.

Hope this helps! Good luck - taking small steps to solidify technique now will make revising it less difficult and I promise it's worth it.
Again make full use of topic sentences.
Divide your entire essay into many different paragraphs. Refer to the original source when writing as it will help to keep you on track. Read your literature essay over afterwards looking for any obvious spelling errors etc as well. Make some brief notes to use as fodder for your whole essay. For any such questions that ask you to do so, include lots of interesting comparative words and phrases too. You will gain a much higher mark that way honestly for trying. Your literature essay must make sense completely in addition. Only find and use content that links to your quotes.
Reply 6
Original post by yardbirdsuite
Unfortunately no! As an A-Level student, I've been taught that my GCSE technique was completely wrong but that doesn't mean you shouldn't stick by that now for your exams. My main advice is that context helps SO SO SO much! My question in the GCSE was the presentation of love in the play, and I linked some of mu quotes about light to the energy of the sun and how that is demonstrative of their love for example - finding context that can be linked to your quotes makes your analysis so much easier and also impressive and detailed! Also, make sure you use topic sentences - they make all the difference. Solidifying your confidence with structure means that all you have to do before the exam is simply remember quotes. I spent barely any time revising English Literature and I still did well for this reason only. Start now on making flashcards and your job will be much easier.

If I remember rightly, in paper 2 you have sources and stuff don't you? Practice reading sources you find online, and make sure you understand the difference between assertion and facts. This will make all the difference for picking up marks. The rest is self-explanatory, constantly refer to the source when writing and make sure you are using comparative phrases for the question that requires it - it is crucial for evaluation! Finally, for the final section, structure is very key. Regardless of the topic you are given to write about, making sure you write it in the correct format is what gives you simple marks that some people tend to lose. For example, if you are to write a letter, consider adding 'details' in the right hand corner, etc.

Hope this helps! Good luck - taking small steps to solidify technique now will make revising it less difficult and I promise it's worth it.

Thank you so so so much!
Just one question, what do you mean by topic sentences?
Reply 7
Original post by tinygirl96
Again make full use of topic sentences.
Divide your entire essay into many different paragraphs. Refer to the original source when writing as it will help to keep you on track. Read your literature essay over afterwards looking for any obvious spelling errors etc as well. Make some brief notes to use as fodder for your whole essay. For any such questions that ask you to do so, include lots of interesting comparative words and phrases too. You will gain a much higher mark that way honestly for trying. Your literature essay must make sense completely in addition. Only find and use content that links to your quotes.

Thank you!!
What do you mean by fodder?
Thank you so so so much!
Just one question, what do you mean by topic sentences?

These are basically the sentences you use to introduce a point - except they are very clear on what you're about to discuss, and aren't vague/off topic. Search up about it on youtube and it should help you get better at this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending