The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot

Ever since I was in primary school, I’ve wanted to be a pilot specifically a fighter jet or defence in general which is why the RAF became the obvious choice. However, in the last few years my eye sight has worsened and my prescription is now (-2.00,-3.50). I can’t find anywhere that specified exactly what the RAF will and won’t accept but I’m guessing that I no longer fit within the accepted bracket. Although I’m assuming I definitely no longer have a chance, I just wanted to know other peoples opinions who might know more about it. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by im.millie
Ever since I was in primary school, I’ve wanted to be a pilot specifically a fighter jet or defence in general which is why the RAF became the obvious choice. However, in the last few years my eye sight has worsened and my prescription is now (-2.00,-3.50). I can’t find anywhere that specified exactly what the RAF will and won’t accept but I’m guessing that I no longer fit within the accepted bracket. Although I’m assuming I definitely no longer have a chance, I just wanted to know other peoples opinions who might know more about it. Thanks.

You don't have to have perfect eyesight, but the requirement is down to more than just the prescription. You'd have to go through the beginnings of the application process to see where you stand.
Reply 2
Original post by AlphaTango
You can join the RAF but not as aircrew unless you have laser eye surgery and wait 2 years.

I was under the impression that even if you had laser eye surgery you still couldn’t join but thank you for letting me know that there might be a chance otherwise!
I was under the impression that even if you had laser eye surgery you still couldn’t join but thank you for letting me know that there might be a chance otherwise!

There has been a lot of change recently and I suspect more change is to come. Forums can be helpful, but I'd encourage you to find out as much official information before you start making some major life choices.
Reply 4
Judging by your profile picture, I'd say you're an air cadet. Ask your staff if they can put you on touch with your local AFCO, they should have some contact info. They can help out.

One thing though, I've noticed in your post history that you're looking at studying outside the UK. This could have consequences for any application to the armed forces; both in the qualifications making you eligible and in the residency requirements for the security clearances. Worth looking into.
Look at their website. There may be some relevant information on there
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Judging by your profile picture, I'd say you're an air cadet. Ask your staff if they can put you on touch with your local AFCO, they should have some contact info. They can help out.

One thing though, I've noticed in your post history that you're looking at studying outside the UK. This could have consequences for any application to the armed forces; both in the qualifications making you eligible and in the residency requirements for the security clearances. Worth looking into.

Hiya, actually not a cadet but I have a family member who helps train people or something at the raf so I occasionally go on flights with me but thank you for the suggestion, it made me realise I could probably speak to him about it the process too. I’m not too worried about the out of the country part because I would go into RAF instead if I got a role. Thanks for all this information though!!
Reply 7
Original post by AscendingWings
There has been a lot of change recently and I suspect more change is to come. Forums can be helpful, but I'd encourage you to find out as much official information before you start making some major life choices.

I 100% agree I plan to start reaching out to people soon but I was just wondering what the general consensus elsewhere was since their website doesn’t hold too much info! Thanks for the help!!
Reply 8
I 100% agree I plan to start reaching out to people soon but I was just wondering what the general consensus elsewhere was since their website doesn’t hold too much info! Thanks for the help!!

Remember, on top of everything else you're applying to be an officer in the RAF, there's a lot available to look up how that's done.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Remember, on top of everything else you're applying to be an officer in the RAF, there's a lot available to look up how that's done.

Yep, that’s the plan, I was just wondering about the glasses because I didn’t want to set my heart on a role which in the end was unachievable for me! Thank you so much for your comments though, you’ve been so helpful!!!
Yep, that’s the plan, I was just wondering about the glasses because I didn’t want to set my heart on a role which in the end was unachievable for me! Thank you so much for your comments though, you’ve been so helpful!!!

Wise words, best of luck to you.
Reply 11
Millie

Something you could also consider, given that you take your GCSEs next year, is an application to the Royal Navy for a 6th Form Scholarship, with a view to starting at BRNC after your A Levels. This would mean having an eye test to confirm that you reach the required eyesight standard for Pilot (Visual Acuity 1/Colour Perception 1).

If you don't have the required eyesight, you will at least know sooner rather than later and will be able to review your plans accordingly before leaving school.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kerzen
Millie

Something you could also consider, given that you take your GCSEs next year, is an application to the Royal Navy for a 6th Form Scholarship, with a view to starting at BRNC after your A Levels. This would mean having an eye test to confirm that you reach the required eyesight standard for Pilot (Visual Acuity 1/Colour Percepti on 1).

If you don't have the required eyesight, you will at least know sooner rather than later and will be able to review your plans accordingly before leaving school.

Worth noting that the RAF and RN pilot eyesight requirements are the same.
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
Worth noting that the RAF and RN pilot eyesight requirements are the same.

Absolutely.

I'm sure that there is an equivalent 6th Form Scholarship for the RAF, which is also an option. I didn't mention it as I know very little about it.

What is true, Millie, is that you will only know whether you have reached the standard required by having the required eye test. Whether you choose the RAF route or the FAA route, try to apply for a 6th Form scholarship, so that you know whether the option of Pilot is a realistic one for you.

Something I know you will be aware of is how competitive this role is; I was once told how many people enquire about Pilot and how many complete training. The difference in the numbers is extraordinary.

if you do reach the eyesight standard, put your heart and soul into your application.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest