The Student Room Group

urgent help

Government Expenditures: Cash or In-Kind Aid?
Lester C. Thurow.
im looking for the citation for this journal article in harvard referencing style but ant find it
I am sort of confused on referencing harvard style. For example when I read a full article written by person x. I pick out key points and evidence that I may require. However person x has referenced someone else. For my essay do I reference person x or the person that they have referenced for their article.
bump
Original post by Whatislife12
I am sort of confused on referencing harvard style. For example when I read a full article written by person x. I pick out key points and evidence that I may require. However person x has referenced someone else. For my essay do I reference person x or the person that they have referenced for their article.

That's what I used when I had to reference a person who'd referenced a person for my EPQ

EDIT: I can't seem to share the link, so I'll copy & paste what it says..

How do I cite a source I found in another source?
Citing a source that you found in another source is known as using a secondary source.

You should always try to read and cite the original work (the primary source). If it is not possible to do this, you have to cite the original as contained in the secondary source.

Your in-text citation should include both authors: the author(s) of the original source and the author(s) of the secondary source. For example: (Habermehl, 1985, as cited in Kersten, 1987).

In your reference list you should provide the details of the secondary source (the source you read). In this example: the details of Kersten 1987.

Most author-date citation styles do not include the primary source (the source you did not read) in the reference list. However, with the numeric styles details of both the primary and secondary source may be included in the reference list.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest