The Student Room Group

Can I turn Cs/Ds to A* in 7 months in A Levels?

Hi I'm currently in college and as the title says I'm not doing amazingly well at college. Getting Cs and Ds in all my classes in general. I havent done too much revision. Well I've made many flashcards but not really used them yet. I also plan to use past papers to help me in the real exam. I have 7 months left between now and the real exam. Do you guys reckon that's enough time to turn Cs and Ds into A*. And if so how hard would I need to work to achieve these goals. In all fairness to me, they set us a ridiculous amount of homework in class. You should see the amount of work my history teacher sets us every week. Actually crazy. I'm usually spending like 8hrs doing the homework. Normally it's to make a lot of revision material aswell as do a lot of other things. But yeah please let me know if it's possible to turn Cs/Ds into A* in 7 months. And with History especially how would I achieve this? I'm really bad at answering History exam questions and the worst thing is that for Russia they can ask you a question about anything. Do you think my best shot is to revise content 1 by 1 then do a practice test on it and then Email teachers asking them to mark the work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You absolutely can, I had friends who were getting Cs Ds and even Fs and then managed to gets As and Bs in their actual exams. They didn’t put a lot of effort at the beginning of the year but after prelims they worked really hard and managed to get what they wanted. This will only work if you plan how you are going to revise ( for instance writing out all your notes and then making flash cards and then past paper, but whatever works for you). You can do this!
Also what are you working towards? If you have a goal it will make you more motivated to work. Good luck ! Feel free to PM me for revision tips!
Reply 2
i don't know about history specifically, but one way you can definetly higher your grades is to become more familiar with what the marks are allocated for in each question. Of course you need to know the content first, so do use your flashcards, make summary notes maybe, etc, but if you're still getting low grades after that, take a look at mark schemes and maybe search up how to answer the specific essay - style questions.
Original post by 0814mc
You absolutely can, I had friends who were getting Cs Ds and even Fs and then managed to gets As and Bs in their actual exams. They didn’t put a lot of effort at the beginning of the year but after prelims they worked really hard and managed to get what they wanted. This will only work if you plan how you are going to revise ( for instance writing out all your notes and then making flash cards and then past paper, but whatever works for you). You can do this!
Also what are you working towards? If you have a goal it will make you more motivated to work. Good luck ! Feel free to PM me for revision tips!

I'm aiming for the highest grades possible so 3 A* but what I want at a minimum is 3 As. And thanks as I need tips on History. I'm so bad at answering exam questions for it. And I think I'm going to make two batches of flashcards for each subject so one of them will be on exam questions and the answers to them and the other will be content of the subject.
Reply 4
TUTORING WRITING SERVICES
# Assignments
# Quizzes
# Coursework
# Essays
# Lab reports
#Research papers.

Regards.
Original post by Nick 001
TUTORING WRITING SERVICES
# Assignments
# Quizzes
# Coursework
# Essays
# Lab reports
#Research papers.

Regards.

What do you mean by that? The things I'll need to turn my grades around?
I'm in the same position, but I think we can do it. We just need to be consistent and revise like every day with no breaks. That's what I'm thinking of doing. I have mocks in like 2 weeks and instead of stopping revising after the mocks, I'm going to keep going. We can do this!!! Let's go! (also I've deleted social media- except Youtube) so there will be no distractions and I can actually get into a good work ethic.

Message me if you want to do this journey together- also for motivation if we get tired after doing work or something!

Spoiler

Original post by commiesystem
I'm in the same position, but I think we can do it. We just need to be consistent and revise like every day with no breaks. That's what I'm thinking of doing. I have mocks in like 2 weeks and instead of stopping revising after the mocks, I'm going to keep going. We can do this!!! Let's go! (also I've deleted social media- except Youtube) so there will be no distractions and I can actually get into a good work ethic.

Message me if you want to do this journey together- also for motivation if we get tired after doing work or something!

Good to see I'm not alone lol. True yeah we do need to. Yeah I've deleted social media too so I can focus more. And yeah thanks I think I will message you for motivation and that too. Realistically I know by the time mocks come I wont do too good because mine are in 2 weeks too and I'm currently a C/D student so it's going to be too hard to revise all the content for the mocks by then aswell as the mark scheme but by the real exam yeah I need those A's at least but preferably 3 A*.
Original post by Georgelennon

Spoiler

Good to see theres a lot of us in the same position. Yeah I think I will start to use my textbook more often and yeah in History tests I've gotten E's aswell. I'm so bad at the subject honestly. If we all just revise plenty everyday and stop using social media we can definitely turn our grades around. I wasnt sure making this post but after seeing many others in the same position I think its achievable. Plus I want to go to one of the best Universities and to get into them obviously I'll need A's at a minimum.
Original post by Clauxery373277
Good to see I'm not alone lol. True yeah we do need to. Yeah I've deleted social media too so I can focus more. And yeah thanks I think I will message you for motivation and that too. Realistically I know by the time mocks come I wont do too good because mine are in 2 weeks too and I'm currently a C/D student so it's going to be too hard to revise all the content for the mocks by then aswell as the mark scheme but by the real exam yeah I need those A's at least but preferably 3 A*.

I am in the same boat as both of you! Currently getting C/D’s but hoping to get A’s by the mocks and for the real exams hopefully A*’s, I have been revising almost everyday this week and have similarly deleted social media and YouTube to help me concentrate * although I still am guilty of getting side tracked! I try and revise 5 hours a day (in sessions of 2 1/2 hours) and use Snap Revise an online service for tutorials on the subjects that I missed last year and did sh*t at, they also have last paper which is really helping! Feel free to pm me if you need some help/motivation too, I am doing Biology and Physics!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi I'm currently in college and as the title says I'm not doing amazingly well at college. Getting Cs and Ds in all my classes in general. I havent done too much revision. Well I've made many flashcards but not really used them yet. I also plan to use past papers to help me in the real exam. I have 7 months left between now and the real exam. Do you guys reckon that's enough time to turn Cs and Ds into A*. And if so how hard would I need to work to achieve these goals. In all fairness to me, they set us a ridiculous amount of homework in class. You should see the amount of work my history teacher sets us every week. Actually crazy. I'm usually spending like 8hrs doing the homework. Normally it's to make a lot of revision material aswell as do a lot of other things. But yeah please let me know if it's possible to turn Cs/Ds into A* in 7 months. And with History especially how would I achieve this? I'm really bad at answering History exam questions and the worst thing is that for Russia they can ask you a question about anything. Do you think my best shot is to revise content 1 by 1 then do a practice test on it and then Email teachers asking them to mark the work?

Definitely you can. It sounds like you don’t have a part time job which is a good thing. Focus on college. Your first step should be to familiarise yourself with the content. If like you say you don’t really understand it all fully with history then trying to answer essay questions without knowing what you’re writing about isn’t a great idea.

With history the main assessment in the exams is your ability to construct and convey your argument, and assessing the opposite perspective. You need to make a statement and support it with evidence. The textbook can offer you evidence but the textbook tends to have microscopic detail and you won’t be able to remember every part. To learn the history I always found reading around helped a lot. You can google the Russian revolution for example and read about it, watch YouTube videos, even Wikipedia (check references) to learn the basics. Then supplement that knowledge with the text book. Once you know the content and you’re comfortable with it then you’ll definitely be able to write better essays so long as you understand how to structure them. You can read a textbook all day and be no closer to understanding but watch some documentaries and read up on the internet and you can learn the whole topic in a day. Then the textbook can engineer you towards the details needed for higher grades.

hi same im planning to grow my grades in year 13 getting U's E's and D's but will just have grind now and my mocks are in end of jan
Original post by Lolamondayy
I am in the same boat as both of you! Currently getting C/DJ’s but hoping to get A’s by the mocks and for the real exams hopefully A*’s, I have been revising almost everyday this week and have similarly deleted social media and YouTube to help me concentrate * although I still am guilty of getting side tracked! I try and revise 5 hours a day (in sessions of 2 1/2 hours) and use Snap Revise an online service for tutorials on the subjects that I missed last year and did sh*t at, they also have last paper which is really helping! Feel free to pm me if you need some help/motivation too, I am doing Biology and Physics!

Thanks and yeah I will do too for motivation and help.
Original post by csmith20
Definitely you can. It sounds like you don’t have a part time job which is a good thing. Focus on college. Your first step should be to familiarise yourself with the content. If like you say you don’t really understand it all fully with history then trying to answer essay questions without knowing what you’re writing about isn’t a great idea.

With history the main assessment in the exams is your ability to construct and convey your argument, and assessing the opposite perspective. You need to make a statement and support it with evidence. The textbook can offer you evidence but the textbook tends to have microscopic detail and you won’t be able to remember every part. To learn the history I always found reading around helped a lot. You can google the Russian revolution for example and read about it, watch YouTube videos, even Wikipedia (check references) to learn the basics. Then supplement that knowledge with the text book. Once you know the content and you’re comfortable with it then you’ll definitely be able to write better essays so long as you understand how to structure them. You can read a textbook all day and be no closer to understanding but watch some documentaries and read up on the internet and you can learn the whole topic in a day. Then the textbook can engineer you towards the details needed for higher grades.

Yeah I dont have a part-time job. And thanks for the advice yeah I'm going to start trying to watch videos on Russia especially aswell as a bit on Empire as we study Russia and The British Empire at my college. And yeah I had that exact problem. I would make tons of revision from revision guides go over it like once or twice and not remember anything for history.

Do you know what I need to be including in answers for 25/30 markers to get the A* in History. That's also a huge problem for me. The few times I know what the question is asking me I struggle to answer it properly only getting a C at best. And I'm aiming for the best possible grades but at least 3 A's.
Original post by helpjen101
hi same im planning to grow my grades in year 13 getting U's E's and D's but will just have grind now and my mocks are in end of jan

Lucky. My mocks are in 2 weeks on Monday and I know nowhere near as much as what I need to know for the History exams. It's because the info just doesnt go into my head. So I'm going to start watching videos and all that on YouTube to better my understanding. It's good to see theres plenty of us that are ambitious, hopefully they dont cancel the A Levels otherwise I'd have to retake them because I know I wont be predicted high grades.
You can but the chances are quite low if I am being brutally honest, you can pull off As but A*s will be tricky
Lucky. My mocks are in 2 weeks on Monday and I know nowhere near as much as what I need to know for the History exams. It's because the info just doesnt go into my head. So I'm going to start watching videos and all that on YouTube to better my understanding. It's good to see theres plenty of us that are ambitious, hopefully they dont cancel the A Levels otherwise I'd have to retake them because I know I wont be predicted high grades.

Oh my goddd my mocks are in two weeks too and I am so stressed😭good luck though
I watched this video and I was astounded by how true it is. Unfortunately, as speaker said, some things have to be sacrifice- games, hangouts, unnecessary hobbies. I am not saying to cut everything all together but keep things at moderation. I really liked his advice, I am starting to take the advice as well. It worked for me and hopefully it will benefit you in some ways
Reading through this chat made me feel so reassured i thought I was the only one in this situation. Right now I don't even know if I can get 3 Cs but in the actual exams I need to get minimum 3 As so there's no room for error. All I'm saying is you can do it. Just be disciplined and focused. YOu can do it. Wake up every day grind. Honestly I say all this but I still procastinate so much lol but I'm improving slowly and we can all do this. You are not alone

Quick Reply

Latest