The Student Room Group

5 quick questions to answer for my psychology project - all answers remain anonymous

1. Are you Male or Female?
2. Explain what characteristics of an authority figure would make you obey them.
3. On a scale of 1-10 (1= not likely, 10= definitely would obey), would you obey a teacher if they asked you to pick up litter from around college?
4. On a scale of 1-10 (1= not likely, 10= definitely would obey), would you obey a police officer if they asked you to move from a seat where you’re sat?
5. Explain why you think people obey authority figures.

I was given these questions to ask. Thank you in advance 🙂

I have enough answers now. Thank you to everyone who gave a response 🙂
(edited 3 years ago)
1.Female
2. Respectfulness, calm, intelligence.
3. 3
4. 3
5.I think people obey authority figures mostly due to a fear of being sanctioned and facing negative consequences.
Reply 2
(Original post by saji13)1.Female
2. Respectfulness, calm, intelligence.
3. 3
4. 3
5.I think people obey authority figures mostly due to a fear of being sanctioned and facing negative consequences.

thank you
One I am a female
Two It depends on the speaker etc
Three Unlikely without gloves
Four Unsure
Five This is down to fear really
Reply 4
1. Female.
2. Polite, calm, and collected.
3. One.
4. Eight point five.
5. Fear of consequences if they didnt or out of respect.
1. Female
2. Treats me like a person
3. 10
4. 9 but I have a disability
5. Fear of the consequences
Reply 6
Original post by tinygirl96
One I am a female
Two It depends on the speaker etc
Three Unlikely without gloves
Four Unsure
Five This is down to fear really

Thank you
Reply 7
Original post by LovelyMrFox
1. Female.
2. Polite, calm, and collected.
3. One.
4. Eight point five.
5. Fear of consequences if they didnt or out of respect.

Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by josie71202
1. Female
2. Treats me like a person
3. 10
4. 9 but I have a disability
5. Fear of the consequences

Thank you
Reply 9
1. Female
2. Appearance (i.e. a uniform), recognising they're in a position of authority, their respectfulness, kindness, a willingness to admit they may be wrong, the location of where the event is happening (i.e. I'd be way more obedient to a teacher if we were at school vs if I saw them at Sainbury's).
3. 6
4. 8
5. Because we think they are a genuine/legitimate figure of authority, we feel like they'll take responsibility for us so we follow their orders or we learned to fear the consequences of disobedience in childhood, making some of us more obedient in personality than others.
(I did GCSE/ do A-Level Psychology, so my answers most likely hold low validity :wink: Maybe it'll make a good evaluation point for your project).
Reply 10
Original post by Pichi
1. Female
2. Appearance (i.e. a uniform), recognising they're in a position of authority, their respectfulness, kindness, a willingness to admit they may be wrong, the location of where the event is happening (i.e. I'd be way more obedient to a teacher if we were at school vs if I saw them at Sainbury's).
3. 6
4. 8
5. Because we think they are a genuine/legitimate figure of authority, we feel like they'll take responsibility for us so we follow their orders or we learned to fear the consequences of disobedience in childhood, making some of us more obedient in personality than others.
(I did GCSE/ do A-Level Psychology, so my answers most likely hold low validity :wink: Maybe it'll make a good evaluation point for your project).

Thank you :-) Can I make a note that you did/ are doing Psychology? Like you said, it will really help when it comes to my evaluation.
Reply 11
Original post by LaSuGi
Thank you :-) Can I make a note that you did/ are doing Psychology? Like you said, it will really help when it comes to my evaluation.

Yeah, of course, that’s why I said in the first place :smile:
Original post by LaSuGi
1. Are you Male or Female?
2. Explain what characteristics of an authority figure would make you obey them.
3. On a scale of 1-10 (1= not likely, 10= definitely would obey), would you obey a teacher if they asked you to pick up litter from around college?
4. On a scale of 1-10 (1= not likely, 10= definitely would obey), would you obey a police officer if they asked you to move from a seat where you’re sat?
5. Explain why you think people obey authority figures.

I was given these questions to ask. Thank you in advance 🙂

1. female
2. intelligence, status, calm
3. 7
4. 9
5. fear of consequences if they don't obey
Reply 13
Original post by caseylolo22
1. female
2. intelligence, status, calm
3. 7
4. 9
5. fear of consequences if they don't obey

Thank you.
Reply 14
I have enough results now. Thank you to everyone who has answered :smile:
Original post by LaSuGi

I also do A level psychology, it, just thought I'd say since i wasn't allowed to use people who did psych as they were likely to guess the aim.
Reply 16
Original post by caseylolo22
I also do A level psychology, it, just thought I'd say since i wasn't allowed to use people who did psych as they were likely to guess the aim.

Ahh. I probably should have said no psychology students too, but oh well. Thank you for telling me, I’ll make a note on that too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending