The Student Room Group

I dont understand anything in gcse higher maths not 1 thing!!

Hello i dont understand anything in gcse maths im getting really bad grades and i currently use cgp maths revision books (Edexcel) along with many videos on yt. I still dont get 1 thing even in class please help

Scroll to see replies

what about stem & leaf
Go back to basics.
Reply 3
Original post by Moonlight rain
what about stem & leaf

I mean just the basics as soon as we go into the grade 4 plus questions i just cant do any
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
Go back to basics.

I jave many times i can easily do it but as soon as i get to higher topics i just cant do it. Things like geometry are impossible for me
Original post by D7sh
I jave many times i can easily do it but as soon as i get to higher topics i just cant do it. Things like geometry are impossible for me

Have you asked if you can do foundation instead?
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
Have you asked if you can do foundation instead?

I dont want to do foundation i can do it very easy aswell i want to get atleast a 7 so thats juts not an option for me right now
A tutor then
Hey. Some online sources that really helped me were Seneca and Khan Academy. Seneca explains and gives quickfire questions to help your understanding. Khan Academy does videos and walk throughs and sometimes has questions too. IXL is also really good, but you have to pay to access all of it.

You can also PM me if you need help. I got a 7 at GCSE and am currently doing maths at A level. I've helped a couple of people on here before, so I'd be happy to kind of "tutor" you.

Not sure if this is any help, but good luck!! :smile:
Original post by D7sh
I dont want to do foundation i can do it very easy aswell i want to get atleast a 7 so thats juts not an option for me right now

Why do you want a 7 though? Is there any real reason?

Unless you plan on doing a degree in something like Maths/Engineering or Economics then doing Foundation level (which you find very easy) and getting a 5 would seem better than possibly failing a Higher paper
Reply 10
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Hey. Some online sources that really helped me were Seneca and Khan Academy. Seneca explains and gives quickfire questions to help your understanding. Khan Academy does videos and walk throughs and sometimes has questions too. IXL is also really good, but you have to pay to access all of it.

You can also PM me if you need help. I got a 7 at GCSE and am currently doing maths at A level. I've helped a couple of people on here before, so I'd be happy to kind of "tutor" you.

Not sure if this is any help, but good luck!! :smile:

Thats really good grades well done! Thanks for the websites i will try them out. Thanks alot
What in particular? Figuring out what the questions want you to do, fact recall, time pressures etc. ?

Unless you plan on doing a degree in something like Maths/Engineering or Economics then doing Foundation level (which you find very easy) and getting a 5 would seem better than possibly failing a Higher paper

Some sixth forms require 7s so that you can do your A levels. Mine did
Original post by D7sh
Thats really good grades well done! Thanks for the websites i will try them out. Thanks alot

That's ok! Always happy to help. Message me anytime for a hand with questions, explanations, etc :smile:
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Some sixth forms require 7s so that you can do your A levels. Mine did

That is not the case for most sixth forms or at least only in the subjects people want to continue to A level. OP has not said they need a 7 in maths in order to do A levels.
Reply 15
Original post by laurawatt
What in particular? Figuring out what the questions want you to do, fact recall, time pressures etc. ?

Its more of not understanding i go over the same topics over and over ask teachers for help and others and also watch youtube videos on it but still csn process it
Reply 16

Im trying to get into medicine though right now it seems like thats off and ne getting a 7 in maths will really help aswell in college etc... also family, if i get like a 5 they will be very disapointed (family members got really high grades but just wont help me)
CorbettMaths - lifesaver. It's like 'FreeScienceLessons' but for Maths lol.
That is not the case for most sixth forms or at least only in the subjects people want to continue to A level. OP has not said they need a 7 in maths in order to do A levels.

I know. It was just a possibility. I was wrong anyway though so :lol:
Original post by D7sh
Its more of not understanding i go over the same topics over and over ask teachers for help and others and also watch youtube videos on it but still csn process it

Do you understand it when you go through it with videos and teachers? Maybe with a tutor as others have suggested or just going straight back to the basics with each topic making sure you’re confident on each bit before you progress

Quick Reply

Latest