The Student Room Group

admissions help

hi so im stuck between biomed and biochem and i really want to try and get into ucl because it's my dream uni. i cant do biochemistry there because maths a-level is required, but i can apply to do biomedical science. imperial also allow me to apply for biochem without maths a-level, so i was thinking of applying to do biomed at ucl, and biochem at imperial, but my personal statement would be catered towards biomed. i probably wont be offered a place at imperial because of this but can someone advise me on what i should do? i know it's really silly to apply for a degree you're not 100% on just because of the uni, but it's rlly important for me if i got into ucl, so much so that it wouldnt matter so much that im doing biomed instead of biochem. can an admissions tutor help me? i dont know who to speak to, when i call the universities its just students who pick up (or they sound like they dont really know)
Original post by cherry7girl
i know it's really silly to apply for a degree you're not 100% on just because of the uni

What exactly do you want to do after you graduate? Why is UCL your dream university?

'Silly' is an understatement. Why apply for a course you don't want to do?
“If your hopes is to do graduate entry medicine then I’d urge you to reconsider” -
Didn’t they!

Oh I can’t read :s I thought they did 🤣

Sorry OP😂
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by candidate415
What exactly do you want to do after you graduate? Why is UCL your dream university?

'Silly' is an understatement. Why apply for a course you don't want to do?

im not really sure at this point which one i'd rather do
im not really sure at this point which one i'd rather do

If you're not sure about which course then that sounds like a sensible plan :smile: BTW I'm applying this year as well so someone else's advice might be much better. Do you have a teacher you can ask what they think?
Original post by bacter1a
If you're not sure about which course then that sounds like a sensible plan :smile: BTW I'm applying this year as well so someone else's advice might be much better. Do you have a teacher you can ask what they think?

thanks :smile: im still not sure, im going to write two personal statements for biochem and biomed and then by december im going to make a firm decision. im not in school anymore ('finished' sixth form this year) and stupidly i decided not to join a college to re-take y13 so i have no help with ucas. my old head of sixth form is offering support but they are slow to get back to me as im not their priority (understanbably)
thanks :smile: im still not sure, im going to write two personal statements for biochem and biomed and then by december im going to make a firm decision. im not in school anymore ('finished' sixth form this year) and stupidly i decided not to join a college to re-take y13 so i have no help with ucas. my old head of sixth form is offering support but they are slow to get back to me as im not their priority (understanbably)

Ah right, that sounds like a good plan, gd luck!
Reply 8
thanks :smile: im still not sure, im going to write two personal statements for biochem and biomed and then by december im going to make a firm decision. im not in school anymore ('finished' sixth form this year) and stupidly i decided not to join a college to re-take y13 so i have no help with ucas. my old head of sixth form is offering support but they are slow to get back to me as im not their priority (understanbably)are

Are you sure you wanna do that cuz personal statements take sooooo long (speaking from personal experience).... Maybe its best to make a pro/con list to decide if the course is more important than the uni so u can focus on only one to not waste time, for you to just not use one of them later on
Original post by koolio34
Are you sure you wanna do that cuz personal statements take sooooo long (speaking from personal experience).... Maybe its best to make a pro/con list to decide if the course is more important than the uni so u can focus on only one to not waste time, for you to just not use one of them later on

I did mine in a day, so i think it's manageable to do 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending