The Student Room Group

MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering vs MSc Computer Science

Hi Everyone, I'm in a dilemma between studying Advanced Chemical Engineering or Computer Science.

I have graduated with a 1st class honours in Chemical Engineering from the university of Sheffield. I have really enjoyed programming modules such as Matlab and python, but I wouldn't say I have strong knowledge or adequate knowledge to study advanced computer science for my masters.

I have been offered a place from Cambridge for MPhil Advanced Chemical Engineering however it is not accredited. I've also been offered a place for for the MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering at Imperial which is accredited.

The computing programme offered at Imperial however is not accredited. I would like to get into the tech industry and so I'd like to have a masters ideally in Computer science. I'm just unsure about the importance of having a masters degree that's accredited.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Original post by Chemisathtics
Hi Everyone, I'm in a dilemma between studying Advanced Chemical Engineering or Computer Science.

I have graduated with a 1st class honours in Chemical Engineering from the university of Sheffield. I have really enjoyed programming modules such as Matlab and python, but I wouldn't say I have strong knowledge or adequate knowledge to study advanced computer science for my masters.

I have been offered a place from Cambridge for MPhil Advanced Chemical Engineering however it is not accredited. I've also been offered a place for for the MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering at Imperial which is accredited.

The computing programme offered at Imperial however is not accredited. I would like to get into the tech industry and so I'd like to have a masters ideally in Computer science. I'm just unsure about the importance of having a masters degree that's accredited.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

If you want to get into the tech industry, then surely a masters in computer science would be far more useful? I don't see the purpose of doing a masters in chemical engineering unless you're specifically looking at engineering.
Original post by Smack
If you want to get into the tech industry, then surely a masters in computer science would be far more useful? I don't see the purpose of doing a masters in chemical engineering unless you're specifically looking at engineering.

You're right, but the masters for computer science is not accredited. I don't know if employers will accept this as a masters

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/pg/msc-computing/
Reply 3
Accredited degrees are mainly important if you want to get chartered. The simplest way to satisfy the academic requirements for chartered engineer are to have an accredited MEng or accredited BEng and MSc. However, even if you don't it's still possibly to get chartered -as there are other way of providing the evidence you have gained the necessary academic background.

I don't think the fact that the degree isn't accredited it significant, it sounds as though it's a conversion Masters for people who haven't taken a first degree in Comp Sci (rather than Advanced Comp Sci) and so wouldn't qualify a masters degree for accreditation - that doesn't stop it being an excellent course (I don't know either way).
Original post by Compost
Accredited degrees are mainly important if you want to get chartered. The simplest way to satisfy the academic requirements for chartered engineer are to have an accredited MEng or accredited BEng and MSc. However, even if you don't it's still possibly to get chartered -as there are other way of providing the evidence you have gained the necessary academic background.

I don't think the fact that the degree isn't accredited it significant, it sounds as though it's a conversion Masters for people who haven't taken a first degree in Comp Sci (rather than Advanced Comp Sci) and so wouldn't qualify a masters degree for accreditation - that doesn't stop it being an excellent course (I don't know either way).

Thank you for this, I appreciate it. I do want to be chartered eventually if I go into the tech industry. This year, I'll be undertaking independent courses on Udemi and see if I can apply for the advanced computer science. Either way, I most probably will accept the Imperial computing programme.
Thank you for this, I appreciate it. I do want to be chartered eventually if I go into the tech industry. This year, I'll be undertaking independent courses on Udemi and see if I can apply for the advanced computer science. Either way, I most probably will accept the Imperial computing programme.

Is chartership even a thing in tech?
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Is chartership even a thing in tech?

Yes https://www.bcs.org/get-qualified/become-chartered/ but I don't think it has the same importance as for most engineering
ChemEng dead subject with no jobs
In CS, accreditation means close to absolutely nothing. It's so broad, if you apply for Java roles they will want OCP certificate not accreditation, if you apply for AWS roles they want AWS certificates.

Imperial only lets you do 1 application a year.
Reply 9
Original post by AndyChow
ChemEng dead subject with no jobs

With all due respect, I don't think you understand ChemEng
Original post by CaptainSkyston
With all due respect, I don't think you understand ChemEng

Ok then, because I know a really smart person who did chemeng at Cambridge and he converted to CS because no jobs.

if chemeng has a bright future I wonder why is so many of ChemEng graduates are converting to cs degree then? Because MPhil at Cambridge is more prestigious and highly regarded in comparison to a conversion degree
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Ok then, because I know a really smart person who did chemeng at Cambridge and he converted to CS because no jobs.

if chemeng has a bright future I wonder why are you doing a conversion cs degree then? Because MPhil at Cambridge is more prestigious and highly regarded in comparison to a conversion degree

I'm actually here during a key term search for Chem Eng. While the UK is poor on the jobs (As far as the UK goes, we all are), internationally Chem Eng is one of the most lucrative fields going. Since Chem Eng is industrialising new processes, there will never *not* be a demand for chem eng, it just depends where your priorities are.
Original post by CaptainSkyston
I'm actually here during a key term search for Chem Eng. While the UK is poor on the jobs (As far as the UK goes, we all are), internationally Chem Eng is one of the most lucrative fields going. Since Chem Eng is industrialising new processes, there will never *not* be a demand for chem eng, it just depends where your priorities are.

Looking at your comment history it seems like you are an A-Level student applying for MEng Chemical engineering 2021.
In which case I recommend you to finish your 4 year studies in 2025 and then we can discuss in further detail.
Because even though you may be correct, your limited life experience does not give your arguments any weight.
We both seems to be in consensus that ChemEng has no jobs, in the UK, which should settle any disagreements
I wish you the best of luck in your UCAS applications
(edited 3 years ago)
Looking at your comment history it seems like you are an A-Level student applying for MEng Chemical engineering 2021.
In which case I recommend you to finish your 4 year studies in 2025 and then we can discuss in further detail.
Because even though you may be correct, your limited life experience does not give your arguments any weight.
We both seems to be in consensus that ChemEng has no jobs, in the UK, which should settle any disagreements
I wish you the best of luck in your UCAS applications

I strongly disagree with this. The prospects and job markets available for Chemical Engineers is huge. There will always be a requirement for chemical engineers for the environment, water treatment, pharmaceuticals, energy, nuclear, finance, investment banking (even though finance and banking isn't traditionally chemical engineering, both sects absolutely love chemical engineers), and many more. Everyone I know who has studied Chemical Engineering has found a job in process, pharmaceuticals, energy etc. I personally chose to lean towards technology because I enjoyed undertaking programming modules at university. Everyone is different. The only aspect of chemical engineering which is dying in the future is oil and gas, however this places a focus on chemical engineers to produce new and innovative forms of energy. The increase in population will require more and more energy, and it's chemical engineers who are traditionally required to meet those demands. Inevitably, there is and always will be a steady increase in demand for chemical engineers. The only edge computer science has over chemical engineering is a larger job market.
The only edge computer science has over chemical engineering is a larger job market.

/closed

I made a mistake calling it dead, it's just oversaturated and a lot of competition for the available jobs. It's a simple supply vs demand thing. Huge and growing demand for biomedicine too but the volume of undergrads has lead to heavy credentialism. Finance & investment banking, those are jobs every STEM (and non-STEM) student goes for when they can't find relevant jobs, ChemEng is not even that high up in the IB hierarchy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey ! I know this is not even remotely related to your post but i was wondering how long the whole application process took you ?thanks :smile:
Hey, I'm so glad I found this thread. I was wondering whether anyone in the world was in the same position as me, wondering whether to apply for a ChemEng MSc versus a Computer Science conversion MSc. 10 months on, I'm wondering what the outcome has been for you? I was also looking at the MSc Computing at Imperial, but I sadly don't satisfy the requirement of a first as I got less than that in the American equivalent. However, I can apply for MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering at Imperial vs MSc Computer Science at a place like Bath or Birmingham. So I'm in the dilemma of staying in ChemEng but going to a better uni, or going into CS and later tech but from a less reputable uni. Hope you can offer some advice! Thanks!
Original post by studentgrad1
Hey, I'm so glad I found this thread. I was wondering whether anyone in the world was in the same position as me, wondering whether to apply for a ChemEng MSc versus a Computer Science conversion MSc. 10 months on, I'm wondering what the outcome has been for you? I was also looking at the MSc Computing at Imperial, but I sadly don't satisfy the requirement of a first as I got less than that in the American equivalent. However, I can apply for MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering at Imperial vs MSc Computer Science at a place like Bath or Birmingham. So I'm in the dilemma of staying in ChemEng but going to a better uni, or going into CS and later tech but from a less reputable uni. Hope you can offer some advice! Thanks!

Hi, I am also applying to the Imperial College London. I have created two applications but I do not know which to submit, MSc. Chemical Engineering or MSc. Computing. I did get a first-class degree though but it's still difficult to choose. I think it might be the sunk cost effect or fear of the unknown. To answer your question, I don't think you should focus on the school's reputation but on the courses in the conversion program. I have seen a couple of programs which I didn't think were very good. If you are absolutely sure and confident of making the switch, then go for it. Also, I'm guessing we are both currently applying and facing the same dilemma. Maybe we can help each other. Do you have any advice for me? Also, what is your reason for making the switch?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending