The Student Room Group

Disorganised Panic-A year 13 GYG 2020-2021

Hello, I am XVivonX and welcome to my GYG. I've wanted to start one of these for ages so why not now? :cute: Here's a bit about me...

o A-level choices:

Spoiler

o What degree am I planning to do

Spoiler

o Universities I am interested in :

Spoiler

o Interests:

Spoiler

Currently we don't really have predicted grades but I will let you know once we get 'em :smile:

Let me know if you want to be added to the tag list! :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Skipping to week 2 since I waited a bit before making this :colondollar:

How has it gone so far?

Year 13's workload is crazy! Our teachers wasted no time getting back into the flow and have given us a lot of extra reading and practice writing exams :afraid:I knew Year 13 was going to be a lot of work but I am feeling slightly overwhelmed:s-smilie:

English
Currently we are focusing on language change throughout the years,its pretty interesting considering how much the English language has morphed and how it continues to adopt more words.

French
We're still going through year 12 topics,so not too difficult so far

Sociology
Currently we have just been getting tested on a manner of things from last year ,the workload for this is unsurprising insane!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Right...Its been 4 weeks since I last updated here and quite a bit has happened .For context I've learnt that year 13 does not give you time to think .
So here's an over due update

Predicted grades

ABD... Yeah I was really not expecting that, they based them primarily off exams done in lockdown and honestly I am pretty upset. But this year has been a mess for everyone so I guess I will just have to move on from that.

UCAS
Writing up a personal statement for UCAS has been incredibly challenging. There is only so much I can say that I've done since Covid-19 stopped me from going to all of my placements .Luckily I have my first draft up right now and I think I will be able to finish it by the end of this month so I am beyond relieved right now.

Goals
Start answering some 20/30 markers for sociology and get them assessed by my teacher.
To continue doing gradual French revision
Lastly, for English to stay updated with my flashcards and make sure that I remember the paragraph structure.

Next month we are having exam month so judging from my predicted I think getting down to some serious revision right now would be the best thing.

Only 9 months to go! (As long as we don't have another U turn)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by XViconX
Right...Its been 4 weeks since I last updated here and quite a bit has happened .For context I've learnt that year 13 does not give you time to think .
So here's an over due update

Predicted grades

ABD... Yeah I was really not expecting that, they based them primarily off exams done in lockdown and honestly I am pretty upset. But this year has been a mess for everyone so I guess I will just have to move on from that.

UCAS
Writing up a personal statement for UCAS has been incredibly challenging. There is only so much I can say that I've done since Covid-19 stopped me from going to all of my placements .Luckily I have my first draft up right now and I think I will be able to finish it by the end of this month so I am beyond relieved right now.

Goals
Start answering some 20/30 markers for sociology and get them assessed by my teacher.
To continue doing gradual French revision
Lastly, for English to stay updated with my flashcards and make sure that I remember the paragraph structure.

Next month we are having exam month so judging from my predicted I think getting down to some serious revision right now would be the best thing.

Only 9 months to go! (As long as we don't have another U turn)

Hey, can I have a tag please :smile:

Hopefully you can increase your predicted grades in your exam month. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by StudentMania
Hey, can I have a tag please :smile:

Hopefully you can increase your predicted grades in your exam month. Good luck!

Of course :smile: And thank you !
Reply 5
One week left till half term!:jive: Year 13 has been a journey to say the least and we're not even half way there. Been watching a lot of Eve Cornwell and Vee Kathivu for tips.

English

Things have been going pretty well this week. We've not really had any exams since we are now finishing up language change and media. We're starting to focus on our individual coursework. For those of you that don't take English Lang, the coursework makes up 15% of our final grade and we pick an area of independent study .I've decided to focus on language change in cartoons since I believe there will be a lot to talk about. Expect updates on this soon :smile:

French

This week went pretty well. Managed to get an A in one writing exam which was quickly off set by the fact that I got a C in the next... Still pretty happy with the clear progress and hopefully I will manage to improve enough to get closer to a B/A.
For French we're also starting our independent research project for the speaking section (30% of final grade).I find speaking the hardest area in French so this area will be quite a bit of work for me.

Sociology

I managed to an A in the essay practice but I'm not sure whether this is convincing my teacher to raise my predicted grade. Hopefully I can get her to bring it up from a B. We've finished our first topic of crime and are starting to prepare for a pretty big exam after half term so I am going to be pretty busy this half term with everything.

UCAS

Just finished all of the UCAS extra details and am getting my personal statement written up. Though I think I will be taking a gap year if my predicted don't change .:dontknow:

Goals

-Ensure all work is caught up on so I can spend most of my time in half term studying rather than writing up notes.
-Start reviewing Year 12 topics
-Send off personal statement to UCAS

Tags~
@StudentMania
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
:nyan: HALF TERM:nyan:

Finally we've got through the first half of term, to anyone reading this ,how did you find it? Luckily my college did not have many coronavirus cases so I was able to attend all of my lessons in person which I was pretty grateful for since I really was not a fan of online lessons.

I feel like this has not been a bad start to year 13,it is certainly less of a jump than year 12 was but I am feeling A LOT more pressure for obvious reasons...

GOALS

This half term some of my goals are :

Get through some coursework

Finalise title for French IRP

Get some prep done for exams coming after half term

Now here is an update on the goals from last week:

Managed to finish off all of my UCAS, but I am going to wait a bit to see whether I can convince my teachers to bring up my grade a bit.
And unfortunately for the other goals I slacked off a bit so ,the first few days will be me catching up on those goals.

To everyone reading I hope you have a good half term and don't overwork yourself too hard :smile:

Tags~
@StudentMania
Reply 7
Hello! after almost 3 weeks gone (I am VERY sorry :frown: ) I am back. Straight after half term we were plunged into various exams and I have been really busy. I will stick to a more active schedule. But here is an update on everything.

French

We recently had our paper 1 French exam and it was ok! I feel like it went better than the first two we had in September. I hope I can get at least a B in that exam. We have one more big mock exam in Jan/Feb so I am hoping to make a lot more progress until the ,this exam result will show me where to improve.

English

The exam for this went really badly which was pretty upsetting. English is usually my best subject so it to be the one where I do worst than all the others is really annoying. My timing was extremely bad and my analysis of techniques used was horrible. I am dreading the result for this but I am sure I will be able to do better next time.

Sociology

This was my best exam. :smile: I got really lucky and the 30 marker was on Ethnicity and Crime which was the question I had reviewed the day before. I really hope this exam went as well as I think it did.

Miscellaneous

I have began to start on my English coursework. It is on sexism shown in cartoons and I think I will be focusing on Scooby Doo episodes and analysing them. We don't have too much time till its due so the rest of this month will mainly be a large focus on completing it.

Goals

Get the majority of coursework completed
Make catch up fc's for any lessons

Tags~ (Please say if you want to be added or removed :smile: )

@StudentMania
Original post by XViconX
Hello! after almost 3 weeks gone (I am VERY sorry :frown: ) I am back. Straight after half term we were plunged into various exams and I have been really busy. I will stick to a more active schedule. But here is an update on everything.

French

We recently had our paper 1 French exam and it was ok! I feel like it went better than the first two we had in September. I hope I can get at least a B in that exam. We have one more big mock exam in Jan/Feb so I am hoping to make a lot more progress until the ,this exam result will show me where to improve.

English

The exam for this went really badly which was pretty upsetting. English is usually my best subject so it to be the one where I do worst than all the others is really annoying. My timing was extremely bad and my analysis of techniques used was horrible. I am dreading the result for this but I am sure I will be able to do better next time.

Sociology

This was my best exam. :smile: I got really lucky and the 30 marker was on Ethnicity and Crime which was the question I had reviewed the day before. I really hope this exam went as well as I think it did.

Miscellaneous

I have began to start on my English coursework. It is on sexism shown in cartoons and I think I will be focusing on Scooby Doo episodes and analysing them. We don't have too much time till its due so the rest of this month will mainly be a large focus on completing it.

Goals

Get the majority of coursework completed
Make catch up fc's for any lessons

Tags~ (Please say if you want to be added or removed :smile: )

@StudentMania

Well done on getting through your exams, hopefully your English won’t have gone as bad as you thought :hugs:

Can I have a tag please?
Reply 9
Original post by Becca216
Well done on getting through your exams, hopefully your English won’t have gone as bad as you thought :hugs:

Can I have a tag please?

Thank you!! I'll put you on the tag list :biggrin:
Reply 10
2 days until the 1st of December...Year 13 is going by so quickly but at least Christmas is right around the corner :biggrin:

Due to it being test week last week, our teachers were hesitant to give us much work to do, for the majority of my lessons we went over year 12 content or watched one or two videos. This week was not typical but I was happy for a break ; however in both French and English we have begun coursework with the deadline being on December 14th to finish them... So this week for my update I will do coursework tips :smile: I present ~~

Tips from a disorganised blogger

Tip 1 -

Make sure you know your points and make them as clear as possible. Although it is easy to think to yourself that you can just go with the flow and make my points later, good focused points can help you create a clear structure for your coursework.

Tip 2-
Research your points thoroughly. Last year I practiced my French Independent research project and was asked a question on that I did know about. Trust me although it can feel repetitive the more effort you put into your research the better it will be when you eventually present it /submit it in .

Tip 3-
Focus on the structure of your coursework. This is a simple tip but is often forgotten. Make sure that there is logical reasoning for why you have presented your points in a certain manner eg. by dates or by order of topic.

Tip 4-
Don't leave it too late! Coursework is painful to get through but the sooner you finish it the happier you will be

Tags ~ (let me know if you want to be added/removed :smile: )
@Becca216
@StudentMania

Additional tag..
@Lemur14
Good luck for your coursework! I feel your pain, I've got geography coursework to do and its such a pita :mad:

I can't wait for Christmas too, it's gonna be so good to finally get a couple of week off school :smile:

Can I have a tag please?
Reply 12
Original post by beginningofanera
Good luck for your coursework! I feel your pain, I've got geography coursework to do and its such a pita :mad:

I can't wait for Christmas too, it's gonna be so good to finally get a couple of week off school :smile:

Can I have a tag please?

Sure! Also good luck with geography coursework ! :h:
Reply 13
Hey guys ! Hope everyone is doing well :smile:

Unfortunately I have had covid for the past 2 weeks and it has really affected my productivity...
All of my lessons have been online but it was really hard to stand up properly since I had the worst headache :s-smilie: So sadly I do not have too much to update on judging from what I have done. But now that I am feeling a lot better I can begin to update this thread again :biggrin:

Goals for the rest of the month

To finish all of my coursework (Luckily I have been given an extension to finish it :biggrin: I am so happy since I wasn't able to do much at all)

Begin Year 12 revision properly - the biggest aim is to begin doing practice questions on year 12 concept so I will be ready for mocks in Feb

Catch up on all work

I think I am going to update this during the holidays to make up for my lack of updates throughout :colondollar:

~Tags~
@beginningofanera
@StudentMania
@Becca216
Reply 14
Hello! I hope everyone had a good Christmas if they celebrate it and had a good new year :biggrin:

This holiday I gave myself a little break but have recently been polishing my coursework... I decided to rewrite several sections so I have been quite busy polishing certain parts. It is pretty stressful since I fell as if there is so much I have not done for it but my teacher is going to review it so hopefully that will eliminate some worries.

Some news !!

I got a university offer for law : AAB:woo:
I got predicted ABD so I am pretty surprised I got an offer however I feel that my a-level results will be much higher so I am planning on taking a gap year, but for now my main focus is on a-levels since they've not been cancelled yet... As long as the government decide to not do another U-turn.:dontknow:

Goals for the week:

-Continue reviewing year 12 work and write up some practice questions
-Try to focus on online school

Tags~
@beginningofanera
@StudentMania
@Becca216
Well done on your offer! Even if you don't think you're likely to accept it it's still nice to have something in the bag :smile:

Coursework is so annoying, for geography our teachers aren't even allowed to look at it so we just end up swapping each others and peer reviewing as its about all we're allowed to do

Hope you had a good Christmas!
Well done on your offer :woo:

Have a wonderful week :yep:
Reply 17
Original post by beginningofanera
Well done on your offer! Even if you don't think you're likely to accept it it's still nice to have something in the bag :smile:

Coursework is so annoying, for geography our teachers aren't even allowed to look at it so we just end up swapping each others and peer reviewing as its about all we're allowed to do

Hope you had a good Christmas!

Thank you :biggrin: I hope your coursework is going well, they might even base our grades off of it now they cancelled exams. Regardless I'm sure we will both do well :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Becca216
Well done on your offer :woo:

Have a wonderful week :yep:

Thank you , you too ! :h:
Reply 19
Hi guys, hope you had a good week:smile: Due to the recent news on A-levels and GCSE's being cancelled and there no longer being any exams to sit in June/July my school has been struggling to figure out how we are going to get graded. My French teacher has decided we will probably do a "mock" in June and she will base the majority of our grade on that... Yet the rest of my teachers have no idea what is going on and are waiting for the government for more guidance so I'll update more on that when I know 🤞

English

- Coursework is still the main focus of every lesson, so the main objective for this is to make sure there are no errors

Sociology

- We are finally moving to a new topic: Media . We have looked briefly at this topic and I think it's going to be really good. I am trying to write extra 10 and 2 markers since I can't seem to get higher than 7 /10 and 13/20. If anyone has essay writing tips for sociology please share !

French

- I 've been going through AS grammar and vocab and it's just a lot of repetition to get the structures right when writing an essay .I feel like I've made some improvements but we'll have to see . We have a writing exam this week so hopefully I will be able to get a B/A...

Goals for this week~

-Continue Law practice course
-Go through La Haine and review vocab and what happened in each scene
- Ty to fin a balance between online school and leisure time

The tags ~

@beginningofanera
@StudentMania
@Becca216

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending